Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz89 View Post
    Pretty funny how Doss "sucks" because of one unfavorable game that came in the playoffs. The coaches are high on him, Torrey is high on him, and he is only 23. Yet because of small sample size that wasn't great, he is a bust and will not amount to anything. Makes complete sense.
    :word

If every player was a bust after having one bad game the NFL would be pretty boring.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    This, both with David Reed and particularly with Jim Caldwell.

The offense is getting revamped because of Caldwell and while it sure looks like it will stay on the smash mouth side (which I have no problem with) the passing game should be revamped. Between Caldwell and Castillo, our biggest changes on offense are on the coaching side and they are big changes too.
    Totally agree. I can't sit here and say we definitely have the answer as far as Boldin's replacement.

But ... we are transitioning to the full on version of Caldwell's offense.

No more of Cam's mystifying, pre-historic, nobody-can-get-open route combinations. Caldwell is going to give these guys every opportunity to work in actual space. Give anybody space and he's a better receiver.

Most teams don't require WRs to get open by either (a) outrunning the entire defense (Torrey) or (b) fighting DBs for jump balls (Boldin).

In 2013, the Ravens won't be requiring that either. The offense will have a better design, more guys will be wide open, and ordinary guys will look like players. Just like you see in New Orleans, Green Bay, and even New England.

It was pretty damn hard for WRs to look good in Cam's offense. And for those comparing with the 2002 group, Cam's offense was heaven compared to Cavanaugh's.

I believe Caldwell will make the group look better than it did in the past. Get the ball in Deonte's hands and let him run. Don't make him fight for it in traffic or high point it within 6 inches of the sideline; clear space underneath like a real NFL team would do and let him catch a 3 yard dump. That's what most teams do with speed guys. You don't see Percy Harvin having to engage in mortal combat to catch a pass. Wes Welker can't catch a cold if he isn't wide-ass open. But he has had OC's who play to his strengths, and made him a bazillionaire. Put Welker on a Cameron offense and he's a FedEx driver in 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    He was targeted 3 times in that game, no catches. He "dropped" 2 in the end zone. That is what I recall. Targeted 20 times in his career, 7 catches. He was only active in 6 of 16 regular season games. I recall both of those end zone balls were catchable. Maybe not perfect throws, but catchable. LaQuan Williams, an undrafted free agent, was active 11 games last year. Maybe this was Special team related, but to say Doss has shown us anything so far as a wide out is a stretch.

I hope he comes back and proves me wrong, but I think anyone who says he is an adequate replacement for Boldin is basing this on their heart, not their head.

From the Sun after the Indy game-----
    Tandon Doss doesn’t get as much playing time as other wide receivers in the Ravens offense. But that didn’t prevent him from chiding himself for dropping two balls in the end zone in Sunday’s 24-9 win against the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Wildcard playoff round.

On second down-and-goal from Indianapolis’ 5-yard line in the second quarter, Doss ran an in route from the left side of the formation, but quarterback Joe Flacco’s pass glanced off Doss’ hands as he dove at the goal line. On the very next play, Flacco tried to connect with Doss again in the back of the end zone, but the second-year receiver couldn’t corral the pass.

"Touched my hands,” Doss said of the throws. “I’ve got to make them. … Got to make them. That’s what I’m paid to do. So that’s on me.”
    The two drops you speak of would have been tough catches. The first was a five yard slant, that Joe threw 100 mph. Im sure if Joe had the throw again he would have thrown it low and away from the defender. The second pass was another tough catch, and even if he does catch it he would have probably been out of the end zone. In contrast the red zone pass to Anquan in the Super Bowl was a "drop". I say the same thing about all of our young receivers. Give them time to develop. This is an identical thread to the Kruger bashing a few years back.

Welker can't catch a cold even when he is wide open. But when you get targetted 200 times a year you are bound to come down with 100. I predict Manning will hate having him on his team.

As far as our WR woes go I think the problem is our whole high character philosophy. Torrey is 1 in a million, it's prettt rare to find a high character guy at WR. They are almost always the "diva" of the team. We may have to sacrafice a bit of our ideals if we ever plan on drafting an elite guy at WR.

Or trade for Larry Fitzgerald. Just sayin'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I think a lot of people are undervaluing David Reed.
    "You mean David Weeeeeeed?" Tom said bluntly...

(Those scratching their heads should go here & be edificated. :D)
    There wouldn't be so much hate if he didn't have one meltdown two years ago against Seattle. His career has been derailed mostly by injuries. If he's past them, I think he could be a decent #3.
    Not to mention a pretty fair gunner on ST. Were it not for a bad bounce on the fumbled KO he would've saved the Deadskins game for the team.
    I also think Jim Caldwell's offense can make average receivers look pretty good.

Blog Entries

I would have really liked to have seen the Ravens take Da'Rick Rogers late in the draft. The Bills signed him as an UFA. It will be interesting to see how he does. He failed three drug tests, but Tyrann Mathieu failed more than 10 drug tests. Why did Rogers go undrafted, but Mathieu ended up a third round pick? Sorry, but I am not a fan of any of the Ravens WRs other than Torrey Smith.

Bills sign troubled WR Da’Rick Rogers

“He’s the most polished of those three Tennessee receivers in my opinion in terms of route running and all that,” Bills scout Tom Roth said, via the team’s official website. “He reminds me physically of Eric Moulds, that body type. That’s what I thought when I saw him. A big, physical, muscular guy. Explosive. He had a 39-inch vertical. He ran a 4.48 at the Combine. He’s got all the physical stuff.”

As a sophomore in 2011, Rogers was All-SEC, catching 67 passes for 1,040 yards and nine touchdowns. But for whatever reason, the off-field concerns were significant enough to cause him to slide beyond the draft, in a way that didn’t impact Tyrann Mathieu’s status, despite a similar storyline.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...darick-rogers/
    Last edited by Dirt1; 04-28-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Would love to see them pick up Julian Edelman to work the slot. If Doss can beat him out, great. If not, this WR corps needs some depth because injuries could really hurt them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Would love to see them pick up Julian Edelman to work the slot. If Doss can beat him out, great. If not, this WR corps needs some depth because injuries could really hurt them.
    If I'm not mistaken, Edelman resigned with the Pats. I actually think a guy like Doucet would be a nice signing. He made a nice living as the slot guy with Fitz in Az and made some tough, chain moving catches over the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNest View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Edelman resigned with the Pats. I actually think a guy like Doucet would be a nice signing. He made a nice living as the slot guy with Fitz in Az and made some tough, chain moving catches over the middle.
    Good call, he did two weeks ago apparently.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    The two drops you speak of would have been tough catches. The first was a five yard slant, that Joe threw 100 mph. Im sure if Joe had the throw again he would have thrown it low and away from the defender. The second pass was another tough catch, and even if he does catch it he would have probably been out of the end zone. In contrast the red zone pass to Anquan in the Super Bowl was a "drop". I say the same thing about all of our young receivers. Give them time to develop. This is an identical thread to the Kruger bashing a few years back.
    Tough catches in heavy traffic, yes, but they hit his hands. No excuse. If a pass hits your hands, you should catch it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I would have really liked to have seen the Ravens take Da'Rick Rogers late in the draft. The Bills signed him as an UFA. It will be interesting to see how he does. He failed three drug tests, but Tyrann Mathieu failed more than 10 drug tests. Why did Rogers go undrafted, but Mathieu ended up a third round pick? Sorry, but I am not a fan of any of the Ravens WRs other than Torrey Smith.
    Supposedly Mathieu only failed one or two drug tests...before he said he failed at least 10.

I would say there is a strong case to be made that, in addition to disobeying other team rules, Rogers failed a lot more than 3 drug tests.

This also goes to show you how important team interviews are. Even though Mathieu did a lot of dumb shit at LSU and after being kicked out of LSU, he nailed his interviews. He was upfront about his issues. He was sincere in his desires to move on from that and not go back to those habits. He even said he would take a drug test every week if he had to.

The fact that Mathieu was drafted at all and Rogers wasn't tells me that Rogers wasn't entirely forthcoming during the interview process and may have tried to evade questions that the coaches, scouts, and GMs already knew the answers to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNest View Post

I was interested in Early Doucet last year too. I'd sign him on a 1-2 year deal. He'd be inexpensive and has experience in the slot.