Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

Aaron Mellette got schooled at the Sr Bowl. No separation. Tipped off just about every route.
    While I certainly don't expect him to start in 2013 (if ever), he has no attribute that's special or outstanding.
    He has below average feet, average speed, below average strength and below average route running.
    Why even bother?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I think this is the most "average" set of WRs beyond #2 which we have seen since the 2000's.
    The WR corp is set already?

Blog Entries

Ozzie said there was never a situation where a WR was taken the spot before our pick. So those who think we missed out on Patton, that doesn't seem to be the case

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    Doss has been a disappointment so far. We tried to force feed him last year and all I saw were drops. Streeter appears to have the hands of a snake. I think Jacoby is a decent third receiver, but without a solid number 2, Torrey gets blanketed. I hope Ozzie has something up his sleeve (like a low-cost veteran free agent) because I do not see a solid core of wide receivers on this roster.
    I hear this a bunch in regards to Doss. What games stand out to you where he had drops? I can only remember the Indianapolis game, where there were some passes in the end zone. Joe targeted him twice and both would have been tough catches.

I would cream myself with happiness if any of these guys amounted to something next year, but I have a feeling my pants will end up cream-free.

Doss looks great in practice, but goes all alligator arms when he sees real action. Reed is a nice special teamer. Deonte looked good, but won't get a chance, same with Laquan. Streeter can't catch.

Even Jacoby has disappointed as a number 2 his entire career. Barring a trade or free agent pick up, our passing game could be look for Torrey deep, check for Pitta in the middle, dump off to Rice. Anyone who can defend that should have an easy day.

Hope I am wrong

Edit: wrong thread
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

The more I.think about it the more I think Thompson or the dark horse Laquan. I just think people overrate Doss so much. It's not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Huh?

He started multiple games in 2010 and suffered badly with drops.
    May wanna have your memory chips checked for datasum check errors.

http://www.nfl.com/player/laquanwill...530613/profile
    FYI he has never started a game.

The Baltimore Ravens signed Williams as an undrafted free agent in 2011. Making the roster completed a rather remarkable story for Williams. A Baltimore native who came from a poor background, with only moderate success in college due to injuries, and thus overlooked by many NFL scouts. Yet he was invited to Ravens training camp, and though only having a very short offseason to prepare due to the NFL lockout, he still made the active roster, and is now playing for the team he grew up as fan of.
    In the preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles, he made three catches for 46 yards and was the team's second leading receiver behind tight end Dennis Pitta.[9] Because of injury to Lee Evans, Williams played several games of the 2011 season as the Ravens' third receiver, including the Sunday Night Football matchup which saw the team sweep their heated rival Pittsburgh Steelers, in which he notched two big receptions for first downs. Along with time at receiver, he has also been a special teams standout, recording 4 tackles in his rookie season while also returning 5 kicks for 109 yards on a 21.8 yard average in 2011

I think they like who they have on the roster to be honest and they never appeared to actively chase a WR in the draft. They may add a vet if someone becomes available, but it looks like that are content with the WR by committee approach.

I think a lot of people are undervaluing David Reed. There wouldn't be so much hate if he didn't have one meltdown two years ago against Seattle. His career has been derailed mostly by injuries. If he's past them, I think he could be a decent #3.

I also think Jim Caldwell's offense can make average receivers look pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I think a lot of people are undervaluing David Reed. There wouldn't be so much hate if he didn't have one meltdown two years ago against Seattle. His career has been derailed mostly by injuries. If he's past them, I think he could be a decent #3.

I also think Jim Caldwell's offense can make average receivers look pretty good.

This, both with David Reed and particularly with Jim Caldwell.

The offense is getting revamped because of Caldwell and while it sure looks like it will stay on the smash mouth side (which I have no problem with) the passing game should be revamped. Between Caldwell and Castillo, our biggest changes on offense are on the coaching side and they are big changes too.

At the end of the day I think Ozzie, Eric, John and Jim Caldwell made it pretty clear they have a lot of faith in both Thompson and Doss in particular. If they were worried about either of those guys I believe they would have used a 4th to grab an available receiver. I can totally get questioning if they will be productive or looking at their limited appearance and critiquing them.

Truth of the matter is that neither Doss or Caldwell has seen enough field time for any of us to make real evaluation of their ability to produce. The guys who have seen them the most are the very guys who decided they can fill the role. They also happen to be the guys who just won the SB so trusting their judgement till there is any significant data that proves they cannot fill the role. I gotta laugh at the armchair GM's who are already saying these guys cant get it done and that by not taking a 4th round (sigh) receiver Ozzie and company screwed the pooch on the draft. Here is a novel concept, lets see if they can actually play before we replace them. We know Terrance Cody cant play thus Brandon Williams was taken. If Doss and Thompson cant get it done we will be looking for a meaningful and dynamic option next year in the first couple rounds
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis