Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

It certainly isn't dreadful, but I think we have a serious hole at one spot.

And frankly, while I love what Torrey brings to the table, I am not sure he is going to be a real #1 guy...I view him as a big speed compliment to another guy.

Jacoby is a pretty much proven failure as a starter.

I just remember the last time we heard all this talk about particular WR's stepping up without anything to back up that faith on the field was Demetrius Williams.

Maybe there is something else out there...either that, or I really hope Torrey really breaks out and someone else can handle the other spot.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I'm still holding out hope that Da'Rick Rogers ends up being selected before all is said and done.

I know that he has a lot of off-the-field issues from Tennessee, but he's insanely talented. If he figures out that weed is not worth the trouble, he has a legitimate chance to be a #1 WR in the NFL.

For a 6th round pick, it's worth the risk. If he doesn't clean up his act, cut him. If he does, pat yourself on the back for getting terrific value late in the draft.
    Its just not happening. If they hadn't taken Rogers off their board completely they would've drafted him by now.

Anyway, at this point I'm fine not addressing WR in the draft. I was pretty excited about getting Patton until SF sniped him, but once he was off the board there was nobody left (besides Rogers of course) who would be an upgrade over what we already have

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    It certainly isn't dreadful, but I think we have a serious hole at one spot.

And frankly, while I love what Torrey brings to the table, I am not sure he is going to be a real #1 guy...I view him as a big speed compliment to another guy.

Jacoby is a pretty much proven failure as a starter.

I just remember the last time we heard all this talk about particular WR's stepping up without anything to back up that faith on the field was Demetrius Williams.

Maybe there is something else out there...either that, or I really hope Torrey really breaks out and someone else can handle the other spot.
    Thats a really harsh assessment on Jacoby Jones, especially after the season he had.

I don't trust any of our receivers except Torrey and Jacoby. We don't have a possession receiver on the roster. I'm glad our defense looks better on paper cuz our offense looks worse.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I don't trust any of our receivers except Torrey and Jacoby. We don't have a possession receiver on the roster. I'm glad our defense looks better on paper cuz our offense looks worse.
    That's because you are basing your assessment on the playoffs when we scored over 30 pts/game. We are two players (a possession WR and LT) from being the clear best team in the AFC. We might be there already with all this talent.

As far as not drafting a WR so far in this draft....what round do you think Tommy Streeter would have been in this current draft? Just a guess, but I would guess that, had he gone back to Miami for his senior year, he would have been a mid-to-late 3rd rounder.

I dont think Laquan ever really got a fair shake to show what he had. But I do remember seeing him grab stuff in tight areas in preseason. At least he holds on to the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    I dont think Laquan ever really got a fair shake to show what he had. But I do remember seeing him grab stuff in tight areas in preseason. At least he holds on to the ball.
    I watched Laquan for four years at UMD and while he dealt with injury issues his sophomore year he never showed enough to indicate that he could be a starting WR at the college level, let alone in the NFL. I like him a lot and like what he brings to the team as a ST player, but anybody expecting much out of him as a WR is likely to be disappointed

I think Deonte Thompson can be to Torrey Smith what Antonio Brown was to Mike Wallace.

Blog Entries
    It's not bad but they're not done

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    Huh?

He started multiple games in 2010 and suffered badly with drops.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Huh?

He started multiple games in 2010 and suffered badly with drops.
    Well, he was still at Maryland in 2010, and he has never started a game in his career. So...

Could a post-draft trade go down?

The Ravens will have a plethora of 2014 picks, considering they will again get 4 compensatories. Would Seattle be willing to part with Golden Tate or Sidney Rice for a 2014 3rd or 4th rounder? How about the Eagles with Jeremy Maclin, who looks like a poor fit for Chip Kelly's offense?