Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

WR Situation -- How bad is it?

I know there is some angst about not drafting a WR -- to this point -- but how much are we discounting ALL of the WRs that the team has accumulated over three seasons now?

The guys currently on the roster (outside of Torrey and Jacoby):

David Reed (5th Round, 2010)
    LaQuan Williams (Undrafted, 2011)
    Tandon Doss (4th Round, 2011)
    Tommy Streeter (6th Round, 2012)
    Deonte Thompson (Undrafted, 2012)

Doesn't it stand to reason that these guys are given a shot to prove themselves? At some point, you need to see what your prior investments are all about.

Personally, I still think Reed has some viability as a slot receiver. Doss is obviously the best candidate to step up as the lead slot guy. Thompson showed flashes in the preseason and is really intriguing as a speed guy who can blow the cover off the top.

Overall, I see Caldwell using more packages where he mixes and matches receivers based on which defensive looks he wants to exploit.
    Last edited by sopranocorleone; 04-27-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

Quote Originally Posted by sopranocorleone View Post
    I know there is some angst about not drafting a WR -- to this point -- but how much are we discounting ALL of the WRs that the team has accumulated over three seasons now?

Tandon Doss (3rd Round, 2011)

Doesn't it stand to reason that these guys are given a shot to prove themselves? At some point, you need to see what your prior investments are all about.

Personally, I still think Reed has some viability as a slot receiver. Doss is obviously the best candidate to step up as the lead slot guy. Thompson showed flashes in the preseason and is really intriguing as a speed guy who can blow the cover off the top.

Overall, I see Caldwell using more packages where he mixes and matches receivers based on which defensive looks he wants to exploit.
    I would love to see Streeter grow up and become awesome, given his size and speed.

But then again, i held the same hope of Justin Harper growing up... which never materialized..

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider101 View Post
    I would love to see Streeter grow up and become awesome, given his size and speed.

But then again, i held the same hope of Justin Harper growing up... which never materialized..
    This could just be coach speak:

http://www.procanes.com/files/c4b53f...270-14796.html

Quote Originally Posted by sopranocorleone View Post

Tandon Doss (4th Round, 2011)

Reed, Williams, and Doss have all been on the team for 2 full years. The brass has seen tons and tons of practice snaps, and what is the return on investment? 16 receptions and 1 TD between the three of them. What specifically has David Reed or Laquan Williams done that makes you think they'll ever be more than special teams only players? They have each made absolutely no impact at WR and I doubt the light flips on at this point.

Doss got plenty of chances last year and didn't impress. He'll get one more chance because he clearly has some trust with the coaches and some chemistry with Flacco. But the rest of those guys are absolutely not good enough to pass up a good WR prospect falling to us in the draft, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    this would be my dream come true.. 4.4 running 6'5'' frame prospect. WOW just WOW.

only if he could run the routes properly and not drop balls. hello to our megatron (foolish hope but i can't help it)

I'm still holding out hope that Da'Rick Rogers ends up being selected before all is said and done.

I know that he has a lot of off-the-field issues from Tennessee, but he's insanely talented. If he figures out that weed is not worth the trouble, he has a legitimate chance to be a #1 WR in the NFL.

For a 6th round pick, it's worth the risk. If he doesn't clean up his act, cut him. If he does, pat yourself on the back for getting terrific value late in the draft.

Still have another round of free agency.

I'm reserving judgement till August.

Blog Entries

The thing I laugh at when people complain about not taking a need in the draft is that we weren't really going to find a day 1 contributor after round 2 anyway. ILB and SS were probably bigger needs, and we got two studs to play them, there really wasn't anyone on the board at WR that would have been good value.

I think the coaches like the guys on the roster. They drafted them for a reason. Let them prove themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Reed, Williams, and Doss have all been on the team for 2 full years. The brass has seen tons and tons of practice snaps, and what is the return on investment? 16 receptions and 1 TD between the three of them. What specifically has David Reed or Laquan Williams done that makes you think they'll ever be more than special teams only players? They have each made absolutely no impact at WR and I doubt the light flips on at this point.

Doss got plenty of chances last year and didn't impress. He'll get one more chance because he clearly has some trust with the coaches and some chemistry with Flacco. But the rest of those guys are absolutely not good enough to pass up a good WR prospect falling to us in the draft, IMO.
    Which receivers would that be, though? I'm not entirely disagreeing with your point, but it's pretty clear that the team doesn't think these receivers are much better than what they have on the roster right now.

And I'm not sure that 1-2 years is enough to determine if a receiver has maxed out his ability to make an impact. Some of these guys just need a legit shot to play. The league is filled with receivers that were buried on the depth chart and just needed a shot to prove they were better than SP players. See Wes Weker, Danny Amendola, Derrick Mason, Victor Cruz, etc...

Again, I'm not saying the receivers they have are the answers. Just pointing out that the Ravens have invested draft picks over the last three years so it's not as if they have completely ignored the position on draft day.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

The Ravens haven't had much luck developing WRers over the years for some reason. I find it hard to believe that one of those guys can't step up. Eventually you would think it has to happen. Maybe they get someone in the 6th.

I'm ok with what we got. Flacco will lead whoever is out there. Doss and Reid is guess are at the front. But I'm still pulling for Laquan to grab that WR 3 spot. Local favor and I think he can be dependable in the slot. Either way, that will be one of the top battles in camp.

I wouldn't mind a chance on Rogers, damn 49ers, if it was one sure WR I wanted it was Patton. John and Jim is going to crush this year again. No doubt