Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Miz89 View Post
    I think Deonte Thompson can be to Torrey Smith what Antonio Brown was to Mike Wallace.
    If only being a WR in our offense was predicated entirely on being fast and staying with our QB as he scrambles around in the pocket...

I think this is the most "average" set of WRs beyond #2 which we have seen since the 2000's.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Miz89 View Post
    Well, he was still at Maryland in 2010, and he has never started a game in his career. So...
    My bad 2011.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

BY DEFAULT --- T DOSS THE JOB IS YOURS

Maybe we get lucky and a decent Vet gets cut .?,?

WE PAY JOE 100 MILLION and then don't get him any weapons : (

I would have taken Ertz 6'6 TE at 32 or traded up in round 3 for best available play maker

I wouldn't trade any of our top 3 picks for any of the WRs that we're available at the time we picked.

I DO wish that Quinton Patton had not gone to San Francisco right before us, because I do believe he would have been the pick there.

I would still like to see Da'Rick Rogers as the 7th round pick (or be brought in via the undrafted FA market) because he had the skill-set to produce at the NFL level. Obviously it is his off-the-field issues that has caused the entire league to stay away...but we all saw first-hand what Burfict did in Cincinnati last year after being bypassed multiple times by every team.

As a very late pick / undrafted player, there is no risk. It's like taking a shot on Rolando McClain. There is no downside to giving a talented player a chance to turn it around when your resources are not involved.

What do you guys think of Ramses Barden? Physical, young possession receiver that could compliment Smith.

I have no confidence in Jones hands or route running. If Doss was the answer we would've seen flashes of that by now. Of all the young guys, Thompson is the one I like. He has shown promise and play making ability IMO.

Blog Entries

Here's what I think...

After Round 3, it made most sense to give our own guys a shot. All a 4th round WR would give us over a current guy is uncertainty/hope. Hope that they start better than a Doss or Streeter, but uncertainty because their abilities are similar.

While this doesn't fit the plan at C (Ozzie drafts a guy to compete with higher draft pick from last year?), the plan at WR seems to be "we picked these young guys, let them show if they were the right moves". If they weren't, WR becomes a priority early next year.

I just hope someone steps it up, ala Torrey in 2011.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

LOL, and we just took Aaron Mellette.

So there's our WR help. I like the pick.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

This reminds me of the 2009 season when we were horrible at corner. Everyone expected us to draft corners in 2010. We didn't draft any. That year we traded for Josh Wilson in August. The Ravens liked the guys they had and they played well in 2010. Carr, Wilson and Webb before he was hurt had solid years. None of us expected Webb to play well based on 2009. Our dbs went from a position of weakness to one of strength. Oz watches every practice and he knows what he has. He has passed on some notable wide receiver prospects in this draft. He must feel they aren't better than what we already have.

Blog Entries

Doss has been a disappointment so far. We tried to force feed him last year and all I saw were drops. Streeter appears to have the hands of a snake. I think Jacoby is a decent third receiver, but without a solid number 2, Torrey gets blanketed. I hope Ozzie has something up his sleeve (like a low-cost veteran free agent) because I do not see a solid core of wide receivers on this roster.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    We are two players (a possession WR and LT) from being the clear best team in the AFC. We might be there already with all this talent.
    Denver, Houston and New England might make an argument.

Maybe if we added a young Jerry Rice and a young Jonathan Ogden, at those two positions you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Denver, Houston and New England might make an argument.

Maybe if we added a young Jerry Rice and a young Jonathan Ogden, at those two positions you mention.
    You think we are the best WR ever and best LT ever behind the Broncos, Texans and Pats?