Potential change in the offense?

I don't know how many other people have seen this, but you see McNair talking about "pitch and catch" and various other things. it's obvious he's most in his element in those situations where there isn't as much huddle-call the play, etc. He's all about those quick decisions and "just playing the game"

What if the Ravens offense would just...change and do that more often? Go pseudo no-huddle ~ give McNair 3-4 plays to choose from at the line and keep the same guys on the field for a good bit of time.

That seems to be what the difference is between the 2 minute drill and the rest of the ballgame. Granted, we had a few drives where we moved the ball well, but the consistent success of the 2 minute drill seems to say something more about playing to the strengths of the offense.

Heck, even if we were to go jumbo with 2 TEs and sometimes go quick, we can take advantage of catching a team with certain personnel....kind of like the chargers did to us with the no huddle and jumbo package and strange formations to run the football (albeit without much success outside the 1st quarter).

What do the rest of you think? For some reason, I have that feeling that we've got that lightning in a bottle and just have to find a way to use it for 60 minutes and not just 4.

Re: Potential change in the offense?

I would love to see the Ravens run a more up tempo offense. We just seem so slow and sloggy. Look how successfully the Chargers ran the quick offense in their first drive yesterday. It kept our defense a little off balance. We are just so damned predictible it's maddening.

We really are built to run the ball first. Although we have had sucess the last two games in 2 minute drill, we need the TOP battle on our side. You will not win that battle if you can't run the ball. We were very fortunate to escape with a Win when the defense was on the field for 7.5 minutes more then our offense. That will wear them down. Our defense kept us in the game and allowed us the chance to win the game.

Although its ugly and it causes anxiety. It has worked and is what the Stealers did last season to win it all. Cinncy's offense looks sexy and its more exciting, come playoff time, those teams usually don't stand. They have no defense. Cannot stop the top backs. We shall see.

I understand that we're a run-first team and eating up clock time works to our advantage, but running Jamal every single time (or nearly) up the middle is quite predictable. I wondered why we kept doing it yesterday against the #1 defense, but then, Jamal's not quick enough to get to the outside.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

My idea isn't so much a change of gameplan to pass first, it's more of a change in tempo or adding a constant sense of urgency to the offense.

The long time between plays gets us out of synch, it gives teams too much time to bring in situational defenses to counter obvious running-passing situations, or to constantly rotate the defensive line.

Why don't we go a little more up-tempo? or heck, call the game more loosely at the line of scrimmage as opposed to the long times spent in the huddle?

Perhaps a lot of this will change, but at some point we all wonder why "important" drives seem to constantly be fruitful while the "typical" drive is often...lackluster.

That's what I was referring to also. It seems like we take the maximum time between plays every time. I don't see why changing that would necessarily preclude us from being a run first offense. Besdies our predictible offense hasn't won us all that much the last couple years.

I explained this same idea to my s/o. I like how NE, when they know they have a tough team to play against, usually does a hurry up, no huddle offense, around the 2nd or 3rd possession. To me, that changes how defenses will handle us. This makes perfect sense IMO to get the offense running, since they all seem to do well in crunch time.

I know it won't happen, but oh well. It's nice to think about
    Waiting for the next one!!!