Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: A pattern develops.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Speaking of Alabama, why Brandon Williams and not Jesse Williams? Jesse is bigger (taller, anyway), faster, and played for a big time school against big time competition.
    Jesse Williams has some big injury questions surrounding him and Brandon Williams is a more versatile player.

Brandon Williams is also a high character guy (not that Jesse Williams isn't) that the Ravens seem to be using as part of the evaluation mix. The guy cleans port-a-pots in the off-season, so I don't think he's going to come into camp thinking his shit doesn't stink. That's a crap load of humility right there.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Jesse Williams has some big injury questions surrounding him and Brandon Williams is a more versatile player.

Brandon Williams is also a high character guy (not that Jesse Williams isn't) that the Ravens seem to be using as part of the evaluation mix. The guy cleans port-a-pots in the off-season, so I don't think he's going to come into camp thinking his shit doesn't stink. That's a crap load of humility right there.
    Cool. Thanks. The NFL.com profile doesn't mention any big injury questions, though.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...ams?id=2539192

Also, Jesse graded out at 85.5. Brandon graded out at 73.1.
    Last edited by RavensRule21215; 04-27-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Adding to this, for those who want Barrett Jones, he's rumored to be starting the season on the PUP list. Legit long-term injury concerns there which is why he's dropping. I don't think Ozzie takes him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Everyone notice some of the similarities between the Ravens top three picks?

All defensive players, of course.

All plug the middle of the defense. Nose tackle, Middle Linebacker, Safety.

All are multiple. Williams can play anywhere from the 0 to 5. Brown has already played OLB and is talked about as a four-down player who can play the run, pass and special teams. They are talking about Elam as a nickel, FS and SS--and a punt gunner. Dean Pees keeps using the word "cross-training." They had already talked about players like Hall, McPhee and McClellan moving positions.
    I would say the pattern that is developing is that the Ravens are following the strategy that Ozzie explicitly laid out after the Super Bowl: get strong up the middle. Funny how us fans, me included, hear that and start pounding the table for wide receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    I would say the pattern that is developing is that the Ravens are following the strategy that Ozzie explicitly laid out after the Super Bowl: get strong up the middle. Funny how us fans, me included, hear that and start pounding the table for wide receivers.
    Maybe because it takes more than one thing or another, and both needs have to be addressed? And there were WRs that were there to be had who could have helped, and was it a given that this guy wouldn't be there in round 4?

I think you also have to factor in that that there are still good WRs left. Seems fairly deep and I don't think the guys in round 1 are that much superior.

Apparently they also like Deonte Thompson.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Versatility isn't something new to us. We always look for guys who can fill multiple roles.
    Defensive deception is the great force multiplier; versatility is the enabler of deception. When the offense looks across the LoS & isn't at all sure who's going to be doing what, catastrophe often ensues:

(Not quite germane but there is IMHO never an excuse too thin to repost that gem! :D)

AD made his Crow career (& a nice subsequent paycheck from the Belicheats) on versatility--IIRC they sent him out wide to cover OuchoStinko once (more properly, to knock his sorry arse into the next time zone coming off the LoS)...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Speaking of Alabama, why Brandon Williams and not Jesse Williams? Jesse is bigger (taller, anyway), faster, and played for a big time school against big time competition.
    Mmm, don't think taller is necessarily better for a NT. Leverage is the NT's stock in trade & it's easier to come by if OLmen have to stoop to get under your pads. Buddy Lee kinda proved that, nyet?

Blog Entries

The guy cleans port-a-pots in the off-season, so I don't think he's going to come into camp thinking his shit doesn't stink. That's a crap load of humility right there.
    You have to think the Ravens did their doo-doo diligence before they picked him...

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Mmm, don't think taller is necessarily better for a NT. Leverage is the NT's stock in trade & it's easier to come by if OLmen have to stoop to get under your pads. Buddy Lee kinda proved that, nyet?
    I agree...I think Brandon's body type is better suited for NT than Jesse's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Everyone notice some of the similarities between the Ravens top three picks?

All defensive players, of course.

All plug the middle of the defense. Nose tackle, Middle Linebacker, Safety.

All are multiple. Williams can play anywhere from the 0 to 5. Brown has already played OLB and is talked about as a four-down player who can play the run, pass and special teams. They are talking about Elam as a nickel, FS and SS--and a punt gunner. Dean Pees keeps using the word "cross-training." They had already talked about players like Hall, McPhee and McClellan moving positions.
    Yea, but that big fart you just heard from the Castle came from Caldwell-lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Correct. That's why I specified taller in my post. By the same token, Jesse graded out over 10 points higher than Brandon in the NFL.com's draft tracker, and played for a big time school against big time competition.