Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

High Quality Character is a Clear Priority.

It is very clear now, that the Ravens want as many high character guys in that locker room as possible and will only take extremely low risk chances in players who do not match up to such standards, such as with Rolando McClain. McClain may not even make the Day 1 roster.

All three of the defenders selected were known as high quality character guys. If a player has an inkling of character concerns, don't expect him to be drafted before the sixth round, if at all.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries
    That's a great observation. All 3 guys taken are very high character young men. It can't be a coincidence.

Blog Entries

Re: High Quality Character is a Clear Priority.

I am beginning to connect it to the past occurrences of the off-season. Harbaugh is taking full control of the locker room and filling it with high character guys who will follow suit. Guys who will follow the proper protocol if they truly have an issue with the coaching staff in any way. Guys who they don't have to waste time trying to get to grow up before they can truly coach them up.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's a great observation. All 3 guys taken are very high character young men. It can't be a coincidence.
    Maybe they look at Reddick, Greene, or another LB and give Rolando the boot.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

That's why the McClain signing is such a head scratcher. Maybe he's insurance and won't be around long but they turned a blind eye to a core principle and that's really out of character

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Ozzie said when McClain was signed he was only getting an opportunity and nothing more.

Now more then before, I think McClain is unemployed this time next month.

Cool Re: High Quality Character is a Clear Priority.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Maybe they look at Reddick, Greene, or another LB and give Rolando the boot.
    Wicked, I would truly love it if they could get another fast LB like Greene but unless they trade up, I think he will be gone before we pick today. However, from a previous email to your mock, you were right when you said to me that Greene could drop to the 4th round. I never believed it but you were right so maybe we could get lucky again today!

We are absolutely hammering this draft so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That's why the McClain signing is such a head scratcher. Maybe he's insurance and won't be around long but they turned a blind eye to a core principle and that's really out of character
    McClain was just a cheap lottery ticket IMO. 1st and 2nd round picks are the long-term foundation.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Definitely agree that high-character is a priority but let's not get fundamentalist about it. Clearly RoMc is not high character and the signing is only a head scratcher if the team is actively shunning non-choir boys.

The team has several different priorities and sometimes they come into conflict and one priority is lessened for another. The RoMc signing was clearly directed at filling one very high priority: that of getting stronger up the middle and against the run because he can do that. So we sign him and work with him knowing he's an emotional mess. Which is why he hasn't been cut yet despite the Decatur incident and probably he won't get cut either unless he gets beaten out in training camp.

And on the other hand, sometimes high-character doesn't help. Remember: Yamon Figurs was a red star player.

But, yeah, overall, high-character works for this team and pundits who say the Ravens will take player X in the draft because "the Ravens work with such guys" are thinking of what the Ravens used to do. I'm looking at YOU Da'rick Rogers.

Blog Entries

Perception is reality. Moves like McClain still have non-Raven fans thinking we're that thug team... if you don't agree, check some other team message boards

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Definitely agree that high-character is a priority but let's not get fundamentalist about it. Clearly RoMc is not high character and the signing is only a head scratcher if the team is actively shunning non-choir boys.
    IMO the key factor here is not "high character" but something that (somewhat) correlates with it: The will to work as hard as you can to be the best you can be & the willingness to accept coaching.

This fits in with my expectation that (outside of a group of 6-10 players signed for big bucks long-term as the nucleus of the team) the roster is going to go into a rapid-turnover, continuous-replenishment mode. Draftees will be signed for 4 years & expected to learn the system, develop the necessary discipline, & be starters/major contributors by the latter half of season 2. Their potential replacements in those roles will be drafted at the beginning of their 3rd season. When a draftee who's developed as expected but isn't considered "nuclear" leaves as a FA for a higher payday than the Ravens offer, the replacement (now trained/coached-up by the end of his 2nd year) steps in. Lather, rinse, repeat.

For this to work, your draftees have to accept an initial position that may be in the back half of the roster, be coachable, & be willing to invest in team rather than personal achievement. That seems to describe Elam, Arthur Brown & Brandon Williams perfectly.

Another type of player who fits this philosophy is a vet with acknowledged skills who's had problems on &/or off the field, knows he's running out of chances to reclaim his career & is willing to accommodate himself to the team in order to do so. Does that describe Rolando McClain? Doesn't look promising at the moment--but this sort of guy is always a crapshoot, & it was a cheap chance to take.

(There are a couple of other player types that fit in with this approach but I don't want to go full-logorrheic on y'all...)

Blog Entries

John Simon follows this too. Urban Meyer compared him to Tebow as far as leadership and intangibles.

As a OSU fan, love the Simon pick. Guy is relentless and strong as an ox. See him as a replacement to Kruger.

He needs to build up his array of moves, but this guy has a motor and work ethic like no other.

Urban told a story about Simon in offseason before his SR yr. he would be in the weight room at 5am every day while Urban would get in there. Urban told him he wasn't allowed to continue to work out unless he brought a teammate. So Simon went and got Ryan shazier that am at 6am. By the end of the offseason, Simon had gotten 8 guys to get up with him the AM to lift.