Blog Entries

...Has anyone else noticed this?

Matt Elam
    Arthur Brown
    Brandon Williams

...correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the Ravens had any of those guys in for private workouts?

In fact, according to WalterFootball, the only guys they did have in for private workouts were Tavon Austin, Tank Carradine, Travis Kelce, Damontre Moore, Sio Moore, Alec Ogletree, Will Pericack (OL from Colorado), Justin Pugh, Baccari Rambo, Russell Sheppard (LSU WR), Cooper Taylor (DB from Richmond), and Jamar Taylor.

Additionally, out of our top 3 selections so far, Matt Elam was the only "formal" interview at the combine.

Methinks Ozzie is majorly fucking with the other GMs.

I know there is a lot of smoke-n-mirrors during this process, but wow. I'm surprised. They must be solely relying on tape and word of mouth.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: ...Has anyone else noticed this?

I think one of the FO said something to that effect, like "if I know I like this guy, why am I going to tip off someone else?"

Reid Fragel was another guy I think we worked out
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I think one of the FO said something to that effect, like "if I know I like this guy, why am I going to tip off someone else?"

So, we can probably take Reid Fragel off our boards. :D

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

I think that was the 49ers GM.

But yeah, those lists aren't worthless, but teams don't go out of their way to pick players that they brought in.

It's often for medical checks, and simple Q&A sessions. Most of those guys who come in don't actually do a "workout".
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm surprised. They must be solely relying on tape and word of mouth.
    Ozzie has been relying on tape for years. Part of what's made him successful.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    So, we can probably take Reid Fragel off our boards. :D
    Not necessarily. I'd just say any 1st/2nd round visits could be smoke screens. Later round guys, they need to get a closer look to see if they'd be a good developmental guy.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I've heard the staff talk about having players in for private workouts. They claim that the purpose is to fill in gaps that occur when they are trying to grade a guy on film. They will look at the tape and rely on combine interviews and that is enough to put a grade on the majority of players. But there are a handful of players where there is disagreement among the staff on what the grade should be. It is often a character or injury concern, or an inconsistency on film, or they are interested but feel they didn't talk to him enough at the combine or at a pro day. Long way of saying they are pretty upfront about the fact that private workouts ≠ interest, per se. Private workouts are akin to getting your homework done late.

Blog Entries

Shaslers has the right idea.

The reality is that they do a great amount of research on these players. Private workouts and extensive interviews are more to answer the unanswered questions.

For example, if a player's game tape speaks very well, they might want to check on his medical. If a player seems to have 'character concerns', they might bring him in to see where his head is at.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure they had Brown in for a private workout

Edit: YUP
    Brown met with the Ravens at the NFL scouting combine and also conducted a private workout for them, but didn't visit team headquarters.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'm pretty sure they had Brown in for a private workout.
    Injury concerns would explain that: he missed the Senior Bowl and most of the drills at the combine due to a shoulder injury, & since hitting with the shoulder is trending upward in the NFL... File this under "D" for the Ravens' customary due diligence.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'm pretty sure they had Brown in for a private workout

Edit: YUP
    Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...#ixzz2RfhsCkK4
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Injury concerns would explain that: he missed the Senior Bowl and most of the drills at the combine due to a shoulder injury, & since hitting with the shoulder is trending upward in the NFL... File this under "D" for the Ravens' customary due diligence.
    Great points.

Obviously the shoulder injury isn't too big of a concern for them.