Blog Entries

Chat transcript from Wednesday.

If you missed it, shame on you. :hammer:

Aaron Wilson: Good evening, everyone. Ready for your questions.

Dont Know: How will the Ravens deal with BJ? Cut him? Give him a 3rd chance? Are there any precedents?

Aaron Wilson: They won't cut him, at least not during the season. He's a true asset to the special teams, so it makes no sense to cut him. Remember, he won't necessarily be automatically suspended for four games until his case is adjudicated in the Maryland court system.

Until that happens, the NFL is likely to withhold punishment.

It does seem like he's due for a four-game suspension and/or a significant fine. The Ravens are likely to offer him counseling. Especially in light of this being his second DUI arrest.

RockyMRaven: Aaron, in view of BJ Sams' recent stupidity, the FO is looking like a bunch of geniuses for keeping Cory Ross on the active roster. Do you think they anticipated something like this?

Aaron Wilson: As far as keeping Cory Ross, it was mostly because they liked him and saw promise in him, not because they were forecasting a second B.J. Sams DUI. Let's not get carried away with conspiracy theories. The Ravens aren't puppet masters pulling strings.

They are happy with Sams' play, but obviously this is a major concern. Don't expect anyone to criticize him publicly. I doubt he'll apologize, since he didn't want to talk about his prior DUI, which he basically beat with probation before judgment outcome.

Fanman: When will Musa Smith and Mike Anderson see more carries? Jamal is not getting the job done so far.

Aaron Wilson: Musa Smith and Mike Anderson might not be able to run behind this type of blocking, either. I do agree that Jamal Lewis' running has been substandard, though. He hasn't demonstrated his old burst and his tackle-breaking is pretty much nonexistent.

Expect him to be relieved soon enough in short-yardage if he continues to fail. Those 3rd-and-1 and 4th-and-1 situations are critical and he's not busting through the line of scrimmage.

hurting: Have you heard any specific plans for the O-line going forward without Ed.

Aaron Wilson: Jason Brown is immediately the starter at left guard for the remainder of the season. If he does well, expect him to be groomed as a future starter on the interior line even when Edwin returns next year. Keep in mind that could be at center or right guard as well in place of Mike Flynn or Keydrick Vincent.

Fanman says: When will Demetrius Williams see more time...he seems like he could be a deep threat?

Aaron Wilson: I think they should be employing more three wide receiver sets immediately especially in light of the running game averaging under 100 yards per game and ranking 23rd in the league in rushing average. Williams can run after the catch and is explosive as a leaper downfield.

He deserves to play more and get at least three or four touches per game.

I don't know when that will happen, though.

Fanman: How much of the playbook does McNair feel comfortable with at this point?

Aaron Wilson: I can't put an exact percentage on it. He knows all the verbiage, as Brian Billick calls it, but the greater question is how comfortable is he with the nuances and personnel. At times, good enough. At others, not nearly enough.

He's a work in progress, but his reduced mobility and arm strength take away some of his natural gifts and are holding back his productivity.

That said, he's an upgrade over what had been under center here for years.

I wouldn't get too picky.

RockyMRaven: Aaron, do you think our D is going to be able to mount a good pass rush on Plummer? If we let him sit back there, he could pick us apart.

admin: Going to the game RMR?

RockyMRaven: Yep. Can't wait

Aaron Wilson: I think they will have some trouble getting him down not only because of his offensive line and superior maximum protection schemes, but also his mobility. Plummer is an extremely good athlete who can give defenses trouble with his speed.

Remember, this is the most experienced quarterback the Ravens have played yet.

Is he perfect? Obviously not, but he's a skilled player who's capable of getting on a roll. Very streaky, though

Which Jake Plummer will show up for Monday Night Football is my question?

Dont Know: You stated earlier "when Edwin returns next year.” has he stated publicly that he will be back (I haven’t seen any such quote)? Did he consider retirement at all?

Aaron Wilson: He's not retiring. He had a good surgery and he'll rehab it and give it another try in all likelihood. I haven't even heard a whisper about him retiring and he hasn't indicated any thoughts toward hanging up his cleats.

RockyMRaven: How about Sam Koch's tackle? And he just trotted back on the field as if it was all in a day's work. Could be dangerous?

Aaron Wilson: Sam Koch is a tough kid, but he might not want to make a living as an extra linebacker. Eventually, you'll get yourself hurt that way.

Then, you might see Leo Araguz or Micah Knorr on fourth down.

The players and coaches were impressed by his hit. Alas, ESPN didn't take notice. They should have put him on Jacked Up!

admin: What is the team doing to specifically address the weak running game?

Aaron Wilson: Brian Billick offered nothing in the way of specifics when I asked him that directly on Monday. All he said was the team needed to have a better plan, better running and better blocking. That gives you about as much information and enlightenment as it did me, which is to say nothing, zilch.

I'm sure they're going to explore some more off-tackle and counters to try to get something going.

Dont Know: Did the move away from the bruising fullback to, I guess, halfbacks hurt the running game more than they anticipated coming into the season?

Aaron Wilson: I think the shift away from I-formation football has hurt the running game. Jamal Lewis was accustomed to nothing but the I-formation and Alan Ricard. I don't think it's a coincidence that he struggles in one-back and H-back looks.

Fanman: They keep saying Jamal can't get outside..if that's true then why does Musa sit all game long?

Aaron Wilson: As far as Musa Smith, remember how loyal to a fault Brian Billick is with starters.

RockyMRaven: The Broncos are saying that to be the best, they need to beat the best. That's our D they're talking about. I think this is going to be even more of a test for us than the Chargers game was. Are the Ravens going to be paying special attention to how good?

Aaron Wilson: This is a more challenging game than San Diego. Denver has a better secondary and a more balanced offense.

They have more explosive wide receivers and better quarterback play and much better coaching with Mike Shanahan superior to Marty Schottenheimer.

RockyMRaven: Yes. That was the last part of what I was trying to write - to how good their secondary is

Aaron Wilson: The Broncos' speed in the secondary is what separates them from other defenses. I think Larry Coyer is an underrated defensive coordinator, too.

Fanman: Will Bisciotti pressure Billick if the O continues to struggle?

Aaron Wilson: I don't think Steve Bisciotti has a problem with what's going on as long as the team is winning and the locker room isn't fractured.

When losses mount along with back-channel complaints that seem legitimate from respected players, then Brian Billick might want to be on his P's and Q's.

Dont Know: Both Brian Billick and Steve McNair have said that they need to do better jobs in the first half, particularly these last two games. Is it just a question of execution or is Billick being outcoached when it comes to preparation, but works wonders in halftime.

Aaron Wilson: I think the offensive game plan is too conservative and the offensive line isn't good enough. I also think Steve McNair has been far too erratic. Plus, the running game has crumbled.

All of those factors combine to create an offense that only ranks ahead of Cleveland, Houston, Oakland, etc..28th overall.

Fanman: Didn't we sign an O-lineman today?

Aaron Wilson: Former Redskins practice squad guy. Not a big deal.

Eighth out of eight linemen on the active roster.

RockyMRaven: I would certainly have to agree with you. Do you think it's possible for the offense to break out in this game, or is that still a long way away?

Aaron Wilson: I think they might be able to get back to the efficient football you saw from them in the season opener against Tampa Bay. I don't think they're capable of much more.

Part 2 follows:
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

Blog Entries

Re: Chat transcript from Wednesday.

camdenyard says: How is Rolle's foot?

Aaron Wilson: I think it's been bothering him for the past few weeks. He wasn't 100 percent last week and that likely contributed to his slip and fall on Malcom Floyd's touchdown.

merlin: Is there a legitimate trade possibility for the line in the works? Signing off a practice squad is OK, but I think we could do better.

Aaron Wilson: No, they aren't working on a trade.

This is your offensive line, don't get your hopes up. There is no grand plan for the guys upfront. The Ravens took a calculated gamble that these guys could get the job done. We'll find out if it was a smart one or not.

Fanman: Do you think John Clayton of ESPN looks like Mr. Mackey from South Park?

Aaron Wilson: I don't watch South Park often enough to say.

It's a funny show, but all I really know is Cartman and Chef.

Obviously, you think he looks like Mr. Mackey whoever that is.

Dont Know: In the wired segment, Ray seemed glad to finally get rid of it and having done his part this season. Bart Scott on the other hand seemed to love it. Is there this division of players of either love or hate that segment or was it an act from Ray?

Aaron Wilson: I think it's irrelevant who's on Wired. That's really not important. It's supposed to give you guys a look inside how practice works and the personalities, but the players who are wired don't act like themselves or they ham it up like Bart to perform for the cameras.

Most of the players don't want to be around the guy who's wired because they don't want to not be able to speak freely or cuss.

I don't think wired is really that relevant to the pulse of the team honestly.

It's a team produced production intended for fans' enjoyment. There's not a lot of insight offered by putting a mike on a player anytime.

They just wind up acting like pro wrestlers.

admin: Is that really the tape room or is it a set?

Aaron Wilson: They have a set, a video room that used to be the linebackers' room.

RockyMRaven: When Ed Reed went up to try to intercept in the endzone, he seemed slow to get up. Did he hurt himself?

Aaron Wilson: He got the wind knocked out of him. He's fine. He was mad that he didn't intercept the football.

Fanman: How many plays are scripted to start the game?

Aaron Wilson: I don't know how many plays they script on a game to game basis. It's usually no more than 12 to 15.

wayupnorth: What kind of snags, or advantages can we look for in the Carolina game in 2 weeks? (the only game I can attend this year)

Aaron Wilson: They might have trouble with the Panthers' defensive ends and DeShaun Foster is having success running the ball. Obviously, Steve Smith represents a matchup issue for any team.

camdenyard: Getting back to the running game, is there anyone who believes that MA isn't getting touches because of "personnel packages" or limited opportunity? The guy's ability to catch out of the backfield screams for attention and offers a chance to mix it up.

Aaron Wilson: I don't think the coaching staff wants to throw to the backs that much or they would do it more often. It's not like any of these guys is reminiscent of Brian Westbrook or Tiki Barber out of the backfield.

Fanman: Will there be a spy on Plummer?

Aaron Wilson: It's a novel idea, I wouldn't doubt they would do it with Adalius Thomas or Bart Scott on occasion if he begins to leave the pocket regularly. Keep in mind that Plummer is more inclined to stay in the protective environs of the pocket nowadays.

wayupnorth: Watching the number of fumbles and missed catches on Many of the teams I've watched this year I wonder if you think there is anything to the complaints about the new balls being slippery

Aaron Wilson: I wouldn't put a great deal of stock in that. If it's an issue, guys should be adjusting by the fifth week of the season. This is the NFL. Sometimes, they need to suck it up and adapt. I have heard very few complaints at all.

From the Ravens, at least.

Fanman: What did you think of the crowd vs. San Diego...I thought they were awesome?

Aaron Wilson: Brian Billick credited the fans as did several players with making a big contribution to the win, so you guys should feel good about that. I thought it was pretty loud and disruptive to the Chargers' flow.

RockyMRaven: Now the Ravens will have to put up with the crowd noise. That Broncos stadium is LOUD!

Aaron Wilson: It always is.

Dont Know: Was it important for the team to win despite having a negative turnover ratio considering the rather appalling win-loss ratio when losing the turnover battle?

Aaron Wilson: I think it's important to win, period. Statistics are great and usually the turnover ratio will tell you who wins as an accurate predictor, but it's a 100-percent equation. Usually, winning this way means you got clutch play and a nice dose of good fortune.

The Ravens had both of those qualities working for them on Sunday against San Diego.

wayupnorth: I have heard some negative things about the Ref (malice man) are these issues ever addressed after a game?

Aaron Wilson: I don't understand. Which referee do you have a problem with? Mike Carey?

If you're asking do coaches complain and the players during the game about officiating, definitely so. They whine, curse and yell throughout. It's usually wasted energy. You're better off being nice to the refs.

Dont Know: Are the redskins regretting the scrimmage as Ozzie has stated that it was there he saw IK in action and now signed him from them?
    Aaron Wilson: No. If they cared about that guy, he would be on their active roster. He's not a big deal. Just like they didn't care about losing Chris Pino.

wayupnorth: I think it was Mike Carey, the one that called a weird penalty at the Lion's game last year because someone had "Malice in his heart"

admin: Suggs.

Aaron Wilson: Mike Carey had a legit call last year not so much in the sense that he could read Suggs' heart, but that he felt threatened.

RockyMRaven: Mike Carey certainly did not make bad calls against us in the Chargers game. I was quite relieved.

Aaron Wilson: I don't think he's the best referee in the world, not as bad as some others.

Dont Know: Is a 4 game suspension the maximum suspension for BJ under the NFL policy?

Aaron Wilson: Yes, unless he had other aftercare conditions in his status in the substance abuse program.

They could also fine him. I've heard he's in Stage II.

Keep in mind that simply being arrested doesn't automatically trigger the suspension. It hasn't been adjudicated in court and he has certain rights.

Don't be shocked if this case isn't continued until after the season.

He obviously needs to change his lifestyle to avoid this kind of trouble. Maybe he has an issue, maybe not. It warrants some kind of observation and involvement on a team and league level as well as teammates.

The NFL has wide discretionary powers in cases like this one. Remember, Odell Thurman. But the Bengals clearly wanted him gone too.

The NFL would likely have a fight with the NFLPA if they tried to suspend him immediately along with Sams' lawyer.

wayupnorth: In a case like this would the team/NFL require a blood alcohol level for their own testing?

Aaron Wilson: No they wouldn't. And the police have said nothing about a Breathalyzer leading me to believe he refused the test.

hurting: why don't these guys just call a cab or hire a limo. They know the public is watching them and it can jeopardize their livelihood!

Aaron Wilson: I'm not sure why they wouldn't use a car service. They obviously can afford it.

RockyMRaven: What are your predictions for the Broncos game?

Aaron Wilson: Ravens by six points.

RockyMRaven: YESSSSS!

Aaron Wilson: Thanks everyone for all the great questions. I look forward to next week. Enjoy the football game.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

I wish I could make these chats but the time never suits me :(

Regardless, I really enjoy reading them every week. So dont be disappointed by low turnout...

Thanks for the chat Aaron and thanks for the transcript Admin!

I need to make one at somepoint (maybe set an alarm on my cell). In the future, I don't know how 8pm works but you may not want to go against Lost at 9pm.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

TiVo Lost.

I was there but had to run before it was over but by then all my questions had been asked by someone.
    I can't make it at all most times but love to read this the next day.
    Good work people

I wasn't able to make it to the chat room last night, but love reading the transcripts. Aaron knows I think he's amazing. Otherwise I wouldn't have introduced him to his wife!