Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A pattern develops.

Everyone notice some of the similarities between the Ravens top three picks?

All defensive players, of course.

All plug the middle of the defense. Nose tackle, Middle Linebacker, Safety.

All are multiple. Williams can play anywhere from the 0 to 5. Brown has already played OLB and is talked about as a four-down player who can play the run, pass and special teams. They are talking about Elam as a nickel, FS and SS--and a punt gunner. Dean Pees keeps using the word "cross-training." They had already talked about players like Hall, McPhee and McClellan moving positions.

Blog Entries

Re: A pattern develops.

Whew! I thought your thread would mirror the one I just did.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

You're right, though, I should have mentioned character guys.

I've heard them talk in recent years about out-scouting other schools for small college guys, i.e., MSSU. There are a couple receivers out there to be taken from smaller programs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    You're right, though, I should have mentioned character guys.

I've heard them talk in recent years about out-scouting other schools for small college guys, i.e., MSSU. There are a couple receivers out there to be taken from smaller programs.
    Well, now we have a thread for each. We could always merge them, but it might lead to too many branching conversations.

It was funny to hear Mayock declare, a few months ago, that the Ravens would run up to the podium with their card if Te'o were to be available at 32.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

The character aspect stands out as mentioned. Seems like the influence of Harbaugh on the draft room? Or maybe they're reacting from the Kindle pick.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

If you had a player of Kindle's caliber and potential, fall to you in the second round, before falling down the stairs during a night of partying, you'd be scared as hell of such character guys too.

People like to bring up Jimmy, but Jimmy's issues were from his freshman year and were nothing compared to Mr. Crash Cars Into Buildings and Flee Scenes.

I'm thinking that the Alabama center Barrett Jones is worthy of trading up for. A character guy who can play multiple positions on the line. Did I mention he's from Alabama?

I'm thinking that the Alabama center Barrett Jones is worthy of trading up for. A character guy who can play multiple positions on the line. Did I mention he's from Alabama?
    Shas

Who did he play for?

Blog Entries

Versatility isn't something new to us. We always look for guys who can fill multiple roles. That said, I think the first two picks are the most versatile I've ever seen at the top for us. Elam can play CB, FS, SS. Brown could play inside or outside LB...maybe even rush end in a pinch, or S? I can't speak for Williams being versatile, but I know he's got more depth to him than Cody ever dreamed of.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Speaking of Alabama, why Brandon Williams and not Jesse Williams? Jesse is bigger (taller, anyway), faster, and played for a big time school against big time competition.

Blog Entries

Versatility and character.

In my opinion, both are signs of intelligence. You have to know the game to play multiple positions, and you have to have your stuff together to be an effective professional within the type of environment an NFL team needs. Boneheads are just not part of that equation. And one-trick ponies can be exploited -- teams aren't going to cater to an opponents ONE strength; they'll just exploit all his weaknesses instead. SNot to mention the fact that injuries and limited rosters can force shuffling, so as a practical matter, it's good to have guys you can move around when you need to.

In addition, in the past when I've played/coached sports, one of the strategies we found most effective is to practice everybody you feasibly can at every position on the field. Doesn't mean you play a 7 footer at point guard, or have the nose tackle play QB. But you do have the D Line play LB, the corners and LBs try safety, LBs swap with DE's, etc. Gives them better perspective, better field awareness and better scheme awareness when they return to their regular position again.

So I can see the Ravens liking these versatile guys because it means they come pre-built to understand more than just their own assignment, which in theory means they can blend into the scheme faster.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Versatility and character.

In my opinion, both are signs of intelligence. You have to know the game to play multiple positions, and you have to have your stuff together to be an effective professional within the type of environment an NFL team needs. Boneheads are just not part of that equation. And one-trick ponies can be exploited -- teams aren't going to cater to an opponents ONE strength; they'll just exploit all his weaknesses instead. SNot to mention the fact that injuries and limited rosters can force shuffling, so as a practical matter, it's good to have guys you can move around when you need to.

In addition, in the past when I've played/coached sports, one of the strategies we found most effective is to practice everybody you feasibly can at every position on the field. Doesn't mean you play a 7 footer at point guard, or have the nose tackle play QB. But you do have the D Line play LB, the corners and LBs try safety, LBs swap with DE's, etc. Gives them better perspective, better field awareness and better scheme awareness when they return to their regular position again.

So I can see the Ravens liking these versatile guys because it means they come pre-built to understand more than just their own assignment, which in theory means they can blend into the scheme faster.
    That's basically the philosophy that Belichick employs, and given Pees's roots in NE, it shouldn't come as any surprise that he's implementing it here. (What IS a surprise is that the most versatile player in Ravens defensive history, AD, who literally did play almost every position on D at one point or another, flamed out under Belichick, the coach who was drying to get AD.)