Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Draft blunders in recent years

What do you see as some mistakes teams made recently?

A couple that come to my mind are last year - Cleveland had a chance to go get RG III and they blew it - and then traded up to select a running back that they could've taken in their original spot. Wow

Also Denver trading with us to go back into the first and select Tim Tebow

Just my point of view of a couple of really dumb moves...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Re: Draft blunders in recent years

The bears messing up our potential trade with them by not calling the league. Cost a draft spot and almost cost us jimmy smith.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    A couple that come to my mind are last year - Cleveland had a chance to go get "PLAYER X" and they blew it ... really dumb moves...
    Sorry Rwt, I did edit your post a little bit. My point is that the Browns have been making dumb draft moves since they came back into the league. Tim Couch, Courtney Brown, Gerald Warren, William Green, Jeff Faine, Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards, skipping on Ngata for an exrta 6th round choice, Brady Quinn, and (the almost 30 year old) Brandon Weeden. AND those are only the 1st rounders... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Sorry Rwt, I did edit your post a little bit. My point is that the Browns have been making dumb draft moves since they came back into the league. Tim Couch, Courtney Brown, Gerald Warren, William Green, Jeff Faine, Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards, skipping on Ngata for an exrta 6th round choice, Brady Quinn, and (the almost 30 year old) Brandon Weeden. AND those are only the 1st rounders... Bc
    It really is amazing. No wonder they're always picking at the top...

Blog Entries

Rams not taking RG3 and every QB needy team passing on Russel Wilson.

Blog Entries

we've been party to two blunders...

1. Chicago mess in 2011
    2. Vikings trying to trade their pick to us in 2003. Allegedly, Jacksonville tied up the phone lines so they couldn't call the trade in, so they ended up passing, and Jacksonville FLEW up to the podium to pick Leftwich, who we were rumored to be trying to trade up and take. After Panthers got another pick in, Vikings finally went and took the guy they wanted all along, Kevin Williams, who ironically is retiring today. I think the NFL changed the way their trade lines worked after that one.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Basically every top draft pick the Raiders have made over the last five years.Except for maybe MacFadden but even he can't even stay on the field.

For a Ravens related one I look at the Jags trading for our number 8 to take Derek Harvey. Since they were originally picking 26th I guess they were pretty good that year so they may not have had too many needs but he surely didn't fill any of them. And with the 3rd round picks they gave up they missed out on guys like Finley and Manningham. Meanwhile we parlayed that 26 and one of those 3rd rounders into 18 and the rest is Lombardi winning history.

Blog Entries

Tyson Alualu at 10 to the Jags? Has he done anything noteworthy? I know at least one person on here was in love with him, but more in the 2nd round, not Top 10 pick.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    Basically every top draft pick the Raiders have made over the last five years.Except for maybe MacFadden but even he can't even stay on the field.

For a Ravens related one I look at the Jags trading for our number 8 to take Derek Harvey. Since they were originally picking 26th I guess they were pretty good that year so they may not have had too many needs but he surely didn't fill any of them. And with the 3rd round picks they gave up they missed out on guys like Finley and Manningham. Meanwhile we parlayed that 26 and one of those 3rd rounders into 18 and the rest is Lombardi winning history.
    For a little while, we were nearly a draft blunder by taking Flacco at 18. Many of us saw him as a mid-2nd pick. The story is that Tampa Bay was talking him up at 20, so we traded up to 18 to get him first. He was clumped in with 2 other QBs behind Ryan in Chad Henne and Brian Brohm. Brohm was so great, he got beat out by 7th round pick Matt Flynn in the backup job to Rodgers. Henne had his shot first with the Dolphins, then with the Jags replacing Gabbert. But again, many people thought Flacco was not a 1st round QB.

But, now, you can just hold up this picture and laugh:

A couple that come to my mind are last year - Cleveland had a chance to go get RG III and they blew it - and then traded up to select a running back that they could've taken in their original spot. Wow

Cleveland DID need to trade up to get Trent Richardson. TB would have taken him. FOr evidence, I provide that TB traded back up into the first for Doug Martin, and "only" selected a Safety after Richardson was gone.

Cleveland did make a pair of blunders however in that first round.
    First was passing on RGIII'
    second was selecting a 28 year old QB in the first round.

Richardson was a great pick, and was probably the very best RB to enbter the NFL since AP.

IIRC, Cleveland did make a strong bid to trade up for RGIII, but were outbid by Washington. There was also a fair amount of press at the time that said Jeff Fisher's past relationship/association with Mike Shanahan may have given an edge to the Deadskins during those trade talks.

As for the Tebow deal where we got three draft picks from the Broncos, well, no surprise that Josh McDaniels had a short stay in Denver.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Cleveland DID need to trade up to get Trent Richardson. TB would have taken him. FOr evidence, I provide that TB traded back up into the first for Doug Martin, and "only" selected a Safety after Richardson was gone.

Cleveland did make a pair of blunders however in that first round.
    First was passing on RGIII'
    second was selecting a 28 year old QB in the first round.

Richardson was a great pick, and was probably the very best RB to enbter the NFL since AP.
    Wasn't it Mel Kiper who said never draft a running back in the 1st round? I don't necessarily agree with that but picking one that high was just stupid IMO. The few games they did win were the ones he had low rushing yardage