Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Draft blunders in recent years

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    We can make it even simpler. The biggest mistake is that the Browns continue to participate in the draft.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    For a little while, we were nearly a draft blunder by taking Flacco at 18. Many of us saw him as a mid-2nd pick. The story is that Tampa Bay was talking him up at 20, so we traded up to 18 to get him first. He was clumped in with 2 other QBs behind Ryan in Chad Henne and Brian Brohm. Brohm was so great, he got beat out by 7th round pick Matt Flynn in the backup job to Rodgers. Henne had his shot first with the Dolphins, then with the Jags replacing Gabbert. But again, many people thought Flacco was not a 1st round QB.

But, now, you can just hold up this picture and laugh:
    I disagree with this. Flacco may have been a reach at #18, but he was never close to being a draft blunder IMO. To me a draft blunder is someone like Boller. A player drafted way too high who can't produce at the NFL level.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Sad part is that the guy wearing #98...well, that's his real face... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    A Jamal Lewis, Robaire Smith and Brady Quinn (I think) jersey...........sad

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    I disagree with this. Flacco may have been a reach at #18, but he was never close to being a draft blunder IMO. To me a draft blunder is someone like Boller. A player drafted way too high who can't produce at the NFL level.
    That's why he said nearly a draft blunder.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

This is easy: our draft in 2010.

Okay, so it's not the biggest blunder across all teams (e.g. Jamarcus Russell), but it was our biggest failure since taking Boller. It's not even close.

For our entire existence we've been wanting an impact WR. We were such a logical place for Dez Bryant to stop sliding that it enable the Cowboys to jump up over us and take him, leaving us scrambling to trade down. For as little as a third or fourth, we could probably have moved up 2-3 spots and assured ourselves of grabbing him.

Instead we drop to the 11th pick of the second round. With Bryant off the board, we still have a chance to fill our need at TE by taking one of the best prospects, a guy named Rob Gronkowski. But once again, instead of making a small hop to ensure we got our man, we let another team, the Patriots, deal up ahead of us for him.

We wind up with Sergio Kindle.

And we all know how that turned out.

So we wind up taking Terrence Cody late in the round, who has done very little for us, and left us still in need of a NT to really anchor our line. We go back to get Ed Dickson in the third round, a relatively mediocre player so far, passing up on Jimmy Graham. And then in the fourth, the Pats jump over us AGAIN to get Aaron Hernandez, while we wind up taking Dennis Pitta with the next pick.

Let me repeat: we had strong and reasonable chances to get Dez Bryant, Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, and Aaron Hernandez, and we wound up with Sergio Kindle, Terrence Cody, Ed Dickson, and Dennis Pitta.

I like Pitta a lot, but no one here would take him over Gronk or Graham. Pitta was the consolation prize. With a little bit of better maneuvering, of the kind that Ozzie proved himself capable when he slid up one pick to secure Haloti Ngata in a previous draft, we might have given Flacco Dez Bryant in the first, Jimmy Graham in the third, and still taken Pitta in the fourth. And what would it likely have cost us? Our first fifth-rounder that year: David Reed.

Imagine what our offense would have been like.

Three Year Draft Review for AFC North

Excerpt:

CINCINNATI BENGALS
    Total picks: 27. Picks still on roster: 20 (74 percent). Picks who are currently projected starters: 9.

CLEVELAND BROWNS
    Total picks: 27. Picks still on roster: 22 (81 percent). Picks who are currently projected starters: 13.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS
    Total picks: 26. Picks still on roster: 18 (69 percent). Picks who are currently projected starters: 9.

BALTIMORE RAVENS
    Total picks: 23. Picks still on roster: 22 (95 percent). Picks who are currently projected starters: 6.

Damn. If it weren't for Kindle, that would be %100.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    That's why he said nearly a draft blunder.
    I understand that, but how was the Ravens drafting Flacco "nearly a draft blunder"? Is it because some considered him a reach at #18?

9. Re: Draft blunders in recent years

I haven't read the full topic so I'm not sure if it was brought up but the Jags drafted a punter in the 3rd round a few years ago

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedPurple2127 View Post
    I haven't read the full topic so I'm not sure if it was brought up but the Jags drafted a punter in the 3rd round a few years ago
    I think it was last year...forgot about that one. but they have cool new helmets ;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Not exactly draft day but involved so many draft picks that it should qualify as one of the biggest draft blunders, even though it was just a trade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

Minnesota Vikings received
    RB Herschel Walker
    Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
    San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
    Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
    Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)
    Dallas Cowboys received
    LB Jesse Solomon
    LB David Howard
    CB Issiac Holt
    RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
    DE Alex Stewart
    Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
    Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
    Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
    Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)
    Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)
    Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
    Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
    Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)[1]
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    I understand that, but how was the Ravens drafting Flacco "nearly a draft blunder"? Is it because some considered him a reach at #18?
    Yes. He was considered a 2nd round prospect because he was a division I-AA player, and the Ravens traded up to draft him.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt