Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: irsay baffonery on display now

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    As far as I can recall, the only others since then are Bo Jackson and Eli Manning

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Bo's was a little different though. He wouldn't play for Tampa cause they lied to him about accepting a trip to visit them while still in college. It got him thrown off the team(s) and he said he wouldn't play for them because they cost him his college career.

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    This is total bullshit. I remember following the story in 83. I lived and died with the Colts, and followed every turn. Elway did not want to play for Kush. His father, also a football coach who competed against Kush, hated Kush. Thought he was too tough on his players, and he did not want little Johnny playing for him. It was never about Irsay until it came out later what a drunken buffoon Irsay was. It was always about not playing for Kush. I despise Elway to this day. A smug, cocky, spoiled, son of a bitch. Accorsi always said he would of held out and played for the Colts. He was a double AA baseball player at best.

Balls, hell. I remember him in tears when he played in Baltimore that first year. He could not believe so many people could hate him. The entire game 60,000 people yelled " Elway Sucks" . I could not talk for a week after that game.

Right or wrong, I always blamed him for the demise of the Colts. Still do. And no amount of reason, facts, or anything else will change my mind. that's why we are called "fanatics"
    I agree with this 100%. I also refuse to argue with, or even discuss him in the "best ever QB" discussion. If someone wants to discuss his merits as a QB, my reply is always" include me out"!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    But it kills me that as much of a scumbag as Irsay seemed to be Art (the man who did more for the NFL than Irsay could ever dream of) is still the one that is hated and reviled nationwide. I guess because Jimmy is popular with the media and fans it tends to soften his fathers image or something, I don't know but it's still irritating.
    No.

Art is known as the "evil owner" because, like so many people that inhabit this country, people are not educated on the issue. Jimmy has nothing to do with it. He's a wackjob too, but he actually got sobered up unlike his disgusting father. It's almost like the Irsay experience, outside of Baltimore, is not known or ever reported upon. That is why these 30 for 30 documentaries are so compelling when Irsay's skeletons come out. I have friends who have said to me..."damn dude, he really didnt care. Wow! I had no idea he was such a scumbag".

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Fuck Elway! How could any Baltimore fan ever support that ass-hat?
    Please show me where I said I supported him .....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conviction View Post
    It seems like Elway wanted to go anywhere but Baltimore.

It would have been sick if we got Marino like we wanted
    I pimped Marino from the beginning. He would have filled the seats up but in the end we would have lost him with the Colts anyway.

No way Elway was coming here because of Frank Kush. Jack Elway made sure of that.
    He hated him. Kush must have stolen some recruits from him or something.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Please show me where I said I supported him .....
    On the one hand you say: "I never understand why some Colts fans got upset with Elway." Then you turn around and say: "Please show me where I said I supported him". What is it with you? You like to play little word games?! Damn man. Get real.

Irsay went to Indy and the franchise continued to be a disaster. He was on his death bed by the time they won a playoff game (I guess he was too messed up to run the team and had to let football people do it); this was the Marchibroda/Harbaugh group (Bill Tobin was GM) that upset the 13-3 Chefs and got to the AFCC.
    no playoffs from 1978 thru 1994 except the 1987 team (Ron Meyer, Eric Dickerson, lost in first round).
    Robert tried to run the team and flopped. He got lucky and hired Bill Polian (built the Levy/Kelly Bills) who hired Jim Mora as coach and lucked into drafting Peyton, at which point they became a succesful franchise.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    On the one hand you say: "I never understand why some Colts fans got upset with Elway." Then you turn around and say: "Please show me where I said I supported him". What is it with you? You like to play little word games?! Damn man. Get real.
    Is this sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Uhh .... right.

See, I employed a game called "The English Language". It's an often misunderstood but successful tactic that requires the person on the other end to *read* and *comprehend*.

The statement "I never understand why some Colts fans got upset with Elway" means .... well .... I don't understand why fans are / were upset with Elway. See, that means my brain can't wrap my head around the concept. Please take note that nowhere in that statement am I showing support for Elway. Again, just saying I don't understand.

I know my tactics may be confusing for you so I am available if you need further clarification.

:D

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I never understand why some Colts fans got upset with Elway.
    I'm pretty sure that nobody that high in the draft had ever refused to play for the team that drafted him before. If there was a precedent it was extremely rare. All by itself that right there made Elway look wrong.

Drafting Elway immediately raised the spirits of a fan base that had endured 6 years of the teams owner purposely running the team into the ground. Many people believed that Elway would bring the fans back and save the team. Hell maybe Buffoon Bob would see an increase in the value of his team and sell it (Not!), but it was worth hoping. Just that quick Elway dashed all those hopes with his announcement that he wouldn't play for Baltimore. It was devastating.

We knew he was right, but he not only rained on our parade he took a giant shit all over it.

Not sure where you're getting this "we expected him to share in our misery" stuff. I won't argue that sometimes the old "chip on Baltimore's shoulder" card applies, but i sometimes it seems like it's played a little too often as well. Bad mojo happens sometimes and it really took the wind out of our sails when - right, wrong or indifferent - Mr. Elway refused to come to Baltimore.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

For those who are interested, the show is airing again tonight on ESPN2 at 8:30 EST.

It is pretty interesting to see how much Baltimore could've gotten for Elway if they had done it during the draft. Just horrible ownership...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that nobody that high in the draft had ever refused to play for the team that drafted him before. If there was a precedent it was extremely rare. All by itself that right there made Elway look wrong.
    Perhaps. I am not aware of anyone before Elway either but I cannot say for sure.

Drafting Elway immediately raised the spirits of a fan base that had endured 6 years of the teams owner purposely running the team into the ground. Many people believed that Elway would bring the fans back and save the team. Hell maybe Buffoon Bob would see an increase in the value of his team and sell it (Not!), but it was worth hoping. Just that quick Elway dashed all those hopes with his announcement that he wouldn't play for Baltimore. It was devastating.
    Here is where we part ways. If the documentary that was on last night was any indicator or accurate, Elway was very public about not wanting to play for the Colts long before draft day. Newspapers and the like were all saying that the Colts intended to trade him once they signed him. Any "raised spirits" do not jive with the information. Why would fans get excited about a player they knew (or should have known) wasn't going to be on the team?

I don't doubt fans felt devastated. And given the interviews that were on the documentary last night, I can see why fans thought of him (and especially his father) as arrogant SOB's.

But attendance was already in the toilet. Fan support for the franchise was at it's all time low. Yes, Elway was the final straw. But he was one straw in a series of a thousand straws, most of which were far more significant than him blowing off Bmore.

Not sure where you're getting this "we expected him to share in our misery" stuff.
    Just a vibe I was getting. The more I learn about that draft, the more is seems odd to me that fans are still holding on to the hate, especially given the facts that Irsay was the major architect of the Elway debacle to begin with.

Elway was an arrogant, pompous pawn in all of this. But he still was only a pawn. And I still can't fault the guy for not wanting to play for a drunk asshole.