Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Is having a great LT overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Perhaps a little OT, but how good was it that Ozzie drafted KO rather than Peter Konz? He came back in round 4 with GG (Center) who he wanted all along. Konz was the media's choice, but wise old Oz knew better... Bc
    Good point Bc.

While Konz would have been a decent choice, I think it is pretty clear that KO is the better player.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Steve Palazzolo‏@StevePalazzolo29m
    Pressure from left tackle has resulted in a Sack + FF 18 more times than pressure from RT since 2008. That's less than four per year
    A datapoint that warrants further investigation
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Related.

Aaron Wilson‏@RavensInsider39m
    Kelechi osemele said he's down to 329 pounds working out to get quicker if he plays left tackle
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Related.
    Not bad for a 6'6" frame.

He was already in really good shape last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    A datapoint that warrants further investigation
    I don't think that there is any doubting that QBs are more vulnerable on the left side. It makes sense...they can't see to that side like they can the right.

Totally agree, but if teams consistently protect and scheme against "left side risk" yet more sacks + FF's (albeit a small difference) are occurring from the left side then that raises the questions what's going on with the RDE or ROLB, and what's "not going on" with the LT? And how do scheme and backfield protection weigh in?

Just thoughts and questions of a data nerd...not sure if I'm making sense, but hell, it might just come down to individual match-ups like most everything else in the game.

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    The Blind Side is more about his story of being adopted than the position. And in high school they ran every play behind him in some games. Line up and do it again, because the opponent couldn't stop it.

You reference a lot of LTs from 10 years ago but the league has changed. If you have a chance to grab one at the top of the draft, you do it so you're set. But I don't think it's critical to have anymore IMO.
    UM. re-read the posts.

I referenced the last 4 SB LTs saying that all were all pros except Beatty who was very physical and very good according to the link I posted. I also listed Ryan Clady as a current and 3-time pro bowler who protected Manning well and well vs us in the playoffs.

Of course the Blind Side is about his history but the beginning of the book talks directly about the importance of the blind side. Then it gets into his history.

Re-read the book too.

I really love how people say the game has changed liked JO couldn't play in today's game and he's only been out a few years.

Hell, Raymond Berry and Tom Matte could play in todays game which is supposed to be so much faster and bigger and they were slow as molasses. I posted a vid of Berry
    catching TDs in the 50s and 60s and he was slow as hell but he always got opened and he always scored and JO would still knock the shit out of people today.

So would Jim Parker, the HOF LT for the Baltimore Colts of the 50s and 60s.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-23-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Blog Entries

If LTs were so um useless, Oher would still be playing there. Here's a stat that says
    he tied for third most sacks in NFL and he allowed tons of pressures and QB hits. Film Study included them all in his grading system.

http://newsle.com/article/0/61468937/

Blog Entries

I don't think anyone is saying LTs are unimportant, just that having a great LT may not be as necessary as in the past. And I say pfffft to all of these data crunchers who want to attribute a stat to an Olineman when it could have been the QB, the receiver, missed block by TE, etc that caused the sack. Just my humble opinion

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Maybe but as one of the links I posted said, the top LTs in the draft go in the top 5
    spots so somebody wants them. Everyone here knows that none of them will fall to
    us and any that are will be 2d or 3d teir and their arms will be so short.

I posted the entire list of LTs in the draft and first thing Film Study wanted to know was
    their arm lengths. He always said that was Oher's problem and so did other experts.
    The opposition always wrapped their arms around his shorter ones like wrestlers and threw him down. He always tried to wrestle guys instead of using his hands as stun
    guns like JO did.

Footwork is also important and his was bad and so was KOs at RT. That's why they
    switched him to LG.

Someone just posted he's losing weight and working on his footwork. I bet that
    the new coach Castillo who coached all those great lines in Philly is working with KO
    and sees something in him but that is just a guess.

If anyone can make a LT out of KO, it's Castillo.

Great discussion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Maybe but as one of the links I posted said, the top LTs in the draft go in the top 5
    spots so somebody wants them. Everyone here knows that none of them will fall to
    us and any that are will be 2d or 3d teir and their arms will be so short.
    Well, of course the top LT's go early in the draft. They also happen to be some of the best players available. No one is saying that a top tiered LT isn't desirable. I would LOVE to see Eric Fisher or Luke Jockel in a Ravens uniform. It just isn't in the cards though. Again, you almost always HAVE to be picking in the top 10-12 selections to really have a crack at a legitimate LT prospect. And there are a number of teams with solid players at the LT position who year in and year out don't have post-season success and end up picking in the top 10 (Cleveland, Oakland, Jacksonville, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco
    I posted the entire list of LTs in the draft and first thing Film Study wanted to know was
    their arm lengths. He always said that was Oher's problem and so did other experts.
    The opposition always wrapped their arms around his shorter ones like wrestlers and threw him down. He always tried to wrestle guys instead of using his hands as stun
    guns like JO did.
    And that was a good thread. I actually agreed with a lot of what Filmstudy was saying regarding the arm length and that is one of the reasons why I don't understand folks clamoring for Kyle Long (smaller arms than Oher). I also have always felt that Oher was out of position from the get-go. He should have been a guard. He is built perfectly for a guard and IMO his skill set is best suited for a guard. He is strong, agile, quick, and aggressive, but he overcompensates on the perimeter and it gets him beat. He is the definition of an average player. The span of his career as an OT is very average. Most of the time he does well, but he goes through bouts and has one or two plays per game or every other game where he commits penalties, misses assignments, and just flat out gets beat.

Footwork is also important and his was bad and so was KOs at RT. That's why they
    switched him to LG.
    Actually, this is probably not accurate at all. Jah Reid got hurt and McKinnie "got healthy", which caused them to put McKinnie back into the lineup. They sure as hell weren't going to play Bobbie Williams or Ramon Harewood at LG and KO had proven he was one of the 5 best linemen on the team. McKinnie can't play RT and is solely a LT. Oher can play RT, but has never taken snaps at guard. KO took snaps at guard during pre-season. That's really why they moved KO to guard. It didn't have anything to do with his footwork.

Someone just posted he's losing weight and working on his footwork. I bet that
    the new coach Castillo who coached all those great lines in Philly is working with KO
    and sees something in him but that is just a guess.

If anyone can make a LT out of KO, it's Castillo.

Great discussion.
    Absolutely. Castillo coming onboard may be the best move of the year IMO. Signing Dumervil and Huff was great, but I think Castillo working with the OL is going to pay dividends. Hell, maybe he'll even figure out that Oher is best suited for the G spot, drop Oher down to LG, line KO up at LT, and draft one of the many RT candidates in this draft.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    If LTs were so um useless, Oher would still be playing there. Here's a stat that says
    he tied for third most sacks in NFL and he allowed tons of pressures and QB hits. Film Study included them all in his grading system.

http://newsle.com/article/0/61468937/
    At this juncture in the thread, you're the only one claiming that anyone has said that LTs are useless.