Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Re: Is having a great LT overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I dont think its getting carried away at all.
    In baseball the most important player only plays ever 5th game.
    In basketball you can make a case for basically each of the 5 positions being nearly equal. In today's NBA, perhaps C is the least important, but in days of old it might have been the msot important, particualrly during the Wilt/Bill Russell days...

I suppose you can make a case for hockey goalie, but really who watches hockey?
    I would say that each of the five basketball positions are more important to their team than QB is to an NFL team. The impact, for example, of having a great 2-guard over having an average 2-guard is more significant than having a great QB over an average QB.

As far as baseball goes, there is no way a single starting pitcher is the most important player on that team unless you are talking about Steve Carlton. This is why pitchers don't win MVP's. I would say the most important 'position' in baseball is the #3 hitter, although that is a hitting, not a fielding, position.
    But that's where the MVP's almost always come from, either #3 or #4 hitters. Where they play in the field is of little consequence.

Striker in soccer is also a very important position. And yes, I think a goalie is more important to his hockey team than a QB is to a football team.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    They still got to the POs and SB with those LTs. I said one team didn't have a
    pro bowler LT and DET was terrible this year @ 4-12. They needed a LT.

Man, we didnt start winning until we moved Oher to RT and KO to LG and inserted
    former pro bowler McKinnie at LT. That's when we picked up steam. WE lost all
    those games in the middle of the season with Oher at LT.
    Wow, really? So, where did the 10 wins last season come from? Magic? Harbs pull a rabbit out of a hat or something?

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco
    Giants had a very physical and very good LT with BEatty.
    Who didn't do jack up until last year and had about as much to do with the Giants 2012 SB win as Anthony Allen had with the Ravens' 2013 SB.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Eli in '07 was also not playing the QB position at an elite level. Everyone says winning a SB with average QB play can't be done -- right up until it gets done again.

QB is enormously valuable, but the most important position in pro sports? QB is on the sidelines while the defense is on the field. And while special teams are on the field. That's more than half the game he is not even playing. When he is playing, maybe 40% of the time he takes the snap and turns around and hands it to someone else, usually being the only one of the 11 guys who isn't doing anything meaningful (unless you consider 'not fumbling' to be a large accomplishment.)

So yes, QB is the most important position in football. But let's not get too carried away.
    Eli may not have had a 5,000 yard season, but he made a ton of big plays in the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Blog Entries

HARBs pulled McKinnie out of the dog house. He finally showed up and we finally started
    winning. You must have missed those blown games vs Charlie Batch and the Skins and
    Dixon almost beat us with Oher and KO on the ends blocking.

Beatty did jack at the right time and just scored a $38M contract for his work which you
    keep laughing at. The link said he is very physical and very good, so keep laughing.

WoW, really.

So now the QB position isn't so important.

Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-25-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I would say that each of the five basketball positions are more important to their team than QB is to an NFL team. The impact, for example, of having a great 2-guard over having an average 2-guard is more significant than having a great QB over an average QB.

As far as baseball goes, there is no way a single starting pitcher is the most important player on that team unless you are talking about Steve Carlton. This is why pitchers don't win MVP's. I would say the most important 'position' in baseball is the #3 hitter, although that is a hitting, not a fielding, position.
    But that's where the MVP's almost always come from, either #3 or #4 hitters. Where they play in the field is of little consequence.

Striker in soccer is also a very important position. And yes, I think a goalie is more important to his hockey team than a QB is to a football team.
    hmmm.... well it seems to me that vegas varies the odds day-to-day by a WIDE margin during a series. It seems to me that they consider a pitching matchup to be EXTREMELY important as far as predicting who will win a game and by how much. As far as I know, it is almsot exclusively the basis for basballs money lines... that is the starting pitching machup.

Blog Entries

HARBs pulled McKinnie out of the dog house. He finally showed up and we finally started
    winning. You must have missed those blown games vs Charlie Batch and the Skins and
    Dixon almost beat us with Oher and KO on the ends blocking.
    And clearly you must have missed the other 10 wins with Oher at LT and KO at RT, which btw got the Ravens into the playoffs to begin with.

Also, who the hell is Dixon?

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco
    Beatty did jack at the right time and just scored a $38M contract for his work which you
    keep laughing at. The link said he is very physical and very good, so keep laughing.

WoW, really.

So now the QB position isn't so important.

Feel like making anything else up today? You talk in circles more than a politician.

No one is laughing at what the link said about William Beatty or the contract he signed. Again, you are equating dollars as the hallmark of a good player.

AirFlacco: "He got paid! He must be great! See?! I'm right."

The last 20 years or more are littered, plastered, and smothered with players who were overpaid. Hell, Ozzie's "m-o" is to NOT overpay for players. By your logic, Paul Kruger is a substantially better player than Elvis Dumervil because the Browns paid a King's ransom for him.

Oh, and I can find links on the interwebs just like you. In fact, here is a scouting link on Michael Oher and it says that his strengths are footwork, athleticism, and pass protection. Imagine that.
    http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=1...=1&nid=3892295

Just because someone posts something on the web doesn't make it inherently true or right.

Blog Entries

Nor does someone disagreeing with it but the paper was right in this case. Some people are
    just in denial.

ILMAO:

Well, did anyone notice the first player taken in the draft was a LT. Hmmmmmmmmn
    Did anyone notice the second player taken in the draft was a LT.
    Did anyone notice the fourth player taken in the draft was a LT.

That's 3 of the first 4 players drafted were LTs.

Now throw in 2 OGs in the top 11. Somebody emphasizes blocking with 5 of the first
    11 picks being blockers.

There was a run on blockers and that dropped both Cyprien and
    Elam to us plus all those guys we discussed still available in round 2 for Oz to make a
    killing if he trades up.

And the reason espn gave was because of the increase amount of blitzes over the season.

So that pretty much puts this topic to rest. LTs are not over-rated according to these GMs,
    maybe some of the message board wannabes but not the real GMs, but someone will have an answer for everything.

I'm outta here.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracke...-round-input:1
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-26-2013 at 01:54 AM.

Okay, now the first round is over I can add my two cents.

Great LTs tend to go to bad teams thanks to bad teams drafting high in the draft. Obviously teams picking in the top 10 have a lot more problems than just one position on the offensive line. Joe Staley is arguably the best LT in football, yet hasn't even sniffed the play-offs. The browns roster is terrible though, with only Staley and Haden being likely to start for most play-off caliber teams.

A team like the Ravens can scheme around some of the deficiencies of having lesser talent at LT. Roll the QB, chip with the TE, or slide protection that way. So having someone like a Joe Staley means you don't have to use your TEs or RBs to help protect the QB. It opens up the offense a bit more.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

HUH?

This was sarcasm - right DARB?

Joe Staley was the LT in the SB for SF.

HUH?

This was sarcasm - right DARB?

Joe Staley was the LT in the SB for SF.
    :grbac: Yes. I have given myself the grbac that I so furiously fought for. In fact, I deserve another one. :grbac:

Joe Thomas is a great LT for a shitty football team. Joe Staley played against the Ravens in the Superbowl.

Seriously, I need another one. :grbac:
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

No prob, man. It was late-lol.

You know I can't read. Had to read it a couple of times to see if it was a joke-lol.

It's not late. It's just really, really early.

I cancelled classes on Thursday and Friday because, hey, I can. Take a nap, go get food for draft, take a nap, play with kid, take a nap, try to get this damned novel to sell, watch draft, nap, bitch about draft.
    ProFootballMock