Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10111213 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Is having a great LT overrated?

Just throwing this out there...as AirFlacco has stated...JO started out at LG before moving to LT.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Hey Air,
    Went on a cruise a couple years ago and in our suite, they had The Blind Side playing on 7 channels, each in a different language. I never want to see that film again. Imagine Tim McGraw and Sandra Bullock in Italian or Mandarin Chinese.... it was the only thing on TV
    LOL,

Yea, know what you mean. Oher didn't even want to see the movie but the o-line dragged
    him along on their night out.

Big Mike thought it was stupid when two old ladies sitting in front of him cried. He just wanted to get the hell out of there.

But I'm telling ya, LeeAnne is much hotter than Sandra. I told her I thought she was Mike's wife on TV the day he was drafted-lol.

She was sitting in front of me at the Indy PO game and I didn't even know it
    was her. She turned around and said did you come all the way out here to
    see the Ravens? I said no, I came all the way out here to see you. She said that's
    my husband Sean sitting next to me.

The she said her son lives in Baltimore and I had no idea who she was talking
    about until T said she was Oher's mom. I thought he was joking.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just throwing this out there...as AirFlacco has stated...JO started out at LG before moving to LT.
    Apples to Oranges.

JO was a stud LT prospect who was drafted 4th overall to be a stud LT in the NFL. We moved him inside for his rookie season only because we already had a pro-bowl LT on the roster (Tony Jones). Once we traded Tony the following off-season (to Denver for a 2nd-round draft pick, which we used to draft Kim Herring, our starting Safety on the SB 35 team), JO moved back outside - where he was always going to play for the Ravens long-term.

KO came here as a 2nd rounder projected by most everyone to either move inside to play guard or switch to RT once he got to the pro level.
    Last edited by MarkS; 04-30-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post

Apples to Oranges.

JO was a stud LT prospect who was drafted 4th overall to be a stud LT in the NFL. We moved him inside for his rookie season only because we already had a pro-bowl LT on the roster (Tony Jones). Once we traded Tony the following off-season (to Denver for a 2nd-round draft pick, which we used to draft Kim Herring, our starting Safety on the SB 35 team), JO moved back outside - where he was always going to play for the Ravens long-term.

KO came here as a 2nd rounder projected by most everyone to either move inside to play guard or switch to RT once he got to the pro level.
    And Tom Brady was projected to be a career back up.

Why do so many people think that players cant get better?

I'm not comparing where KO is now vs where JO was or what JO became. My point was that JO played guard before he moved to LT. It helped him get a feel for the speed of the NFL among other things. Additionally, how do we know that their intentions with KO were NOT to groom him as the future LT? His downfall was footwork, but losing weight and coaching can help that. Unlike Oher, KO actually has the size and length to play LT (nearly 36" arms).

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

While I think the fact that LT is one of the highest paid positions on the field lends some credence to the idea that they are overrated, I think being above average at all 5 spots on the line can do wonders for any offense.

I also think it's a myth that your best pass blocker should be your LT. Depending on the route combination and progressions your blindside can be anywhere. Remember that huge blindside sack Bart Scott had against Roethlisberger in 06? That came from the strongside.

6. Re: Is having a great LT overrated?

I don't think it's a question of needing a great LT.
    I think it's a question of not having a bad LT.
    And Oher is a bad LT.
    That's why I hope they do re-sign McKinnie, if only as insurance in case KO or whoever they try at LT this season doesn't work out. If there's any legit criticism of Ozzie as GM, it's that the Ravens have never focused on addressing the depth on the O-Line through the draft like they should--banking too often on projects (Hale, Mattison, Cousins, Harewood, Reid) which then forces the team to rely on aged/unreliable stopgaps (Gurode, LeVoir, Williams, McKinnie, even arguably Birk)
    I understand that this is partly a function of the salary cap + the team's regular season record always leaving them drafting late in the first round, but the Ravens have needed an LT since Gaither either got hurt or lazy in what, 2009?

i don't think LT is an overrated position - at all. i don't care what anyone says, i'm not gonna blame cam cameron for every offensive woe this team had because having Oher over there at LT was a debacle, play calling or not. sure resign mckinnie. i'm not a fan of the guy but i don't want ko moving over there and i don't want oher playing there so what other choice do the ravens have? sure they could reach out, sign a good RT and slide someone over but i'm so tired of this freaking line being in flux. i want our 100 million qb to be able to be confident that he can have the time to make the decisions he has to make and focus on only that and not on, 'gee am i gonna get plastered this play?,'. just resign the lazy bum and maybe next year we'll have other options.

8. Re: Is having a great LT overrated?

I think you should ask Joe Flacco this question

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Last time I checked neither the guys who play LT last year perfromed at a "top flight" level actually far from it or we would not be talking bout this right now.

Last time I checked we won the Super Bowl with said mediocre LT play. McKinney was certainly not "great" in the playoffs he was decent but not great.
    You must have missed those games we lost to Charlie Batch and RG3s backup and getting slaughtered by Denver before McKinney and KO went to the left side of the line and kept
    Dumveril in check during the playoffs beating Denver just a couple of weeks after losing them.

We don't win the playoffs until the line changes were made and Oher went back to RT where
    he belongs.

Good idea to ask Joe. He needs protection.

Football 101

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. SCREW LEFT TACKLES. YOU DON'T NEED EM.
    OZZIE NEWSOME

:)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    And Oher is a bad LT.
    That's why I hope they do re-sign McKinnie, if only as insurance in case KO or whoever they try at LT this season doesn't work out. If there's any legit criticism of Ozzie as GM, it's that the Ravens have never focused on addressing the depth on the O-Line through the draft like they should--banking too often on projects (Hale, Mattison, Cousins, Harewood, Reid) which then forces the team to rely on aged/unreliable stopgaps (Gurode, LeVoir, Williams, McKinnie, even arguably Birk)
    I understand that this is partly a function of the salary cap + the team's regular season record always leaving them drafting late in the first round, but the Ravens have needed an LT since Gaither either got hurt or lazy in what, 2009?
    :word Well said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    And Oher is a bad LT.
    This is a good post.

Again - teams can win without having elite play from the LT position. Would it be nice? Sure. Absolutely. I'm sure Joe and everyone else on the offense would LOVE to have a Matt Kalil or a Russell Okung at LT.

That just isn't always possible.

Teams that don't have an elite LT aren't doomed for failure though. That is the point. If the other players along the OL are solid, then teams can still find offensive success with a weak LT. The sum is greater than the individual parts.

Blog Entries

IMO if the rest of the line is rock-solid, you can live with a below-average LT, because you can scheme to lighten his load--chip with the TE or slot receiver, keep a back in to block, move the pocket to the right, etc.

(Two examples from late in games vs Stealers: Polymullet's strip-sack of Joe that essentially lost that game, and the TD pass to Housh that definitely won that one. Both times The Hair blitzed through the LG-LT gap. The difference? Todd Heap--who'd been kept in to block on the latter play--slid over & stopped #43 cold, giving Joe the half-second he needed to hit TJ with a perfect throw.)

But if you have problems anywhere else along that line as well, you're perilously close to getting Joe (as the Scots say) kilt.

Putting Oher at LT last year created 2.5 line issues at a stroke:
    • Below-average LT play
    • Below-average-to-bad LG play
    • Average-to-below-average RT play

(The last is the half-issue, as KO @RT may not have been a significant downtick from Oher.)

If GG at center pans out & the Ravens can find (or cobble up) a viable option at RT whose surname doesn't start with O, then KO can stay at LG where he excels, & IMHO Oher @LT wouldn't be nearly the fuster-cluck of 2012.

But if KO moves to LT, you're still putting Joe at risk unless you find (or cobble up) an above-average replacement @LG--especially since Gino is odds-on to make his share of first-time-starter mistakes no matter how good he eventually becomes.

(JMO comme toujours.)