Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: John Harbaugh: One Tough Mudder

I tried it once, but my mother made me wear my best suit. She gave me a bunch of Handi Wipes, and said, "Bc don't come home dirty, sister-in-law is coming over for dinner tonight."
    ... Bc

Re: John Harbaugh: One Tough Mudder

After reading this, I think I'll pass:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...,3954904.story

How can you not notice that a guy jumped into a mud pool and didn't come out? Is no one watching?
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post

How can you not notice that a guy jumped into a mud pool and didn't come out? Is no one watching?
    Wow, not sure how that happened. That obstacle is water not mud and they literally have multiple lifeguards floating in the water. Wonder if they didn't know how to swim.

Blog Entries

If it was like the one I did, it's a little bit chaotic there...there's about 8-10 "lines" of people climbing up and jumping in. They didn't have any staff at the top telling people to wait or regulating who jumped when. There are "life guards" at the bottom to fish out people who freeze up. The only way to make that one safer would be to "slow it down", make participants jump in 2-3 at a time, then hold the next round up until they all get out.

There's a new obstacle they have this year, a modification of an existing one where you crawl under barbed wire, with small electric wires hanging down, through a slight bit of water (The electric current is comparable to a cattle fence). The new version takes a giant black tarp over top of the barbed wire, so you are crawling through total darkness. I think that one is a perfect example of Tough Mudder pushing it too far. Unless you have someone counting people going in and out, how will you know if someone has an incident in there or gets knocked out or has a heart attack, etc. And if they do, how do you get them out? Pull the big tarp off it? If you can't see where you're going in that thing, you could end up crawling "off course" and get stuck in it.

They have a pretty encompassing waiver, so I would bet Tough Mudder doesn't get sued by the guy's family. Or maybe they get sued, but it'll be pretty tough to win the case with the waiver. I actually know one of the guy's friends on Facebook and saw his post in memoriam of the guy, didn't know he died doing Tough Mudder.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    If it was like the one I did, it's a little bit chaotic there...there's about 8-10 "lines" of people climbing up and jumping in. They didn't have any staff at the top telling people to wait or regulating who jumped when. ...

They have a pretty encompassing waiver, so I would bet Tough Mudder doesn't get sued by the guy's family.
    Waivers are worthless if negligence is involved, and not controlling the flow of hundreds of people into the water at an endurance event would probably attract more than the typical ambulance-chasing lawyer.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Waivers are worthless if negligence is involved, and not controlling the flow of hundreds of people into the water at an endurance event would probably attract more than the typical ambulance-chasing lawyer.
    http://toughmudder.com/wp-content/up...ver_101812.pdf

I understand that it is my responsibility to inspect the Course, facilities, equipment, and areas to be used, and if I believe or become aware that any are
    unsafe or pose unreasonable risks, I agree to immediately notify appropriate personnel. By participating in the event, I am acknowledging that I have
    found the course, facilities, equipment, and areas to be used to be safe and acceptable for participation. I accept full and sole responsibility for the
    condition and adequacy of my equipment.
    I UNDERSTAND FULLY THE INHERENT RISKS INVOLVED IN THE TM EVENT AND ASSERT THAT I AM
    WILLINGLY AND VOLUNTARILY PARTICIPATING IN THE EVENT. I have read the preceding paragraphs and acknowledge that
    1) I know the nature of the TM event; 2) I understand the demands of this activity relative to my physical condition; and 3) I appreciate the potential
    impact of the types of injuries that may result from the TM event. I HEREBY ASSERT THAT I KNOWINGLY ASSUME ALL OF
    THE INHERENT RISKS OF THE ACTIVITY AND TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY AND ALL DAMAGES,
    LIABILITIES, LOSSES, OR EXPENSES THAT I INCUR AS A RESULT OF PARTICIPATING IN THE TM EVENT.
    Not trying to defend it, but if you really read through it, they cover themselves from a lot of things.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

If it was like the one I did, it's a little bit chaotic there...there's about 8-10 "lines" of people climbing up and jumping in. They didn't have any staff at the top telling people to wait or regulating who jumped when. There are "life guards" at the bottom to fish out people who freeze up. The only way to make that one safer would be to "slow it down", make participants jump in 2-3 at a time, then hold the next round up until they all get out..
    I'd bet this is something they will do.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Just curious... how can you cancel a "tough mudder" for too much rain/mud?
    LOL!! That was my first thought.

As for Harbs; he's one tough hombre, and a hell of a coach.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

If it was like the one I did, it's a little bit chaotic there...there's about 8-10 "lines" of people climbing up and jumping in. They didn't have any staff at the top telling people to wait or regulating who jumped when. There are "life guards" at the bottom to fish out people who freeze up. The only way to make that one safer would be to "slow it down", make participants jump in 2-3 at a time, then hold the next round up until they all get out.

There's a new obstacle they have this year, a modification of an existing one where you crawl under barbed wire, with small electric wires hanging down, through a slight bit of water (The electric current is comparable to a cattle fence). The new version takes a giant black tarp over top of the barbed wire, so you are crawling through total darkness. I think that one is a perfect example of Tough Mudder pushing it too far. Unless you have someone counting people going in and out, how will you know if someone has an incident in there or gets knocked out or has a heart attack, etc. And if they do, how do you get them out? Pull the big tarp off it? If you can't see where you're going in that thing, you could end up crawling "off course" and get stuck in it.

They have a pretty encompassing waiver, so I would bet Tough Mudder doesn't get sued by the guy's family. Or maybe they get sued, but it'll be pretty tough to win the case with the waiver. I actually know one of the guy's friends on Facebook and saw his post in memoriam of the guy, didn't know he died doing Tough Mudder.

I've done two in the last 6 months, in new jersey and Austin, not sure when yours was but they both had people up top for each line of jumpers giving them the ok when it was clear below.