Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: OT - Does anyone here know about HVAC systems?

From all the research I did, and was ultimately told by people in the industry.... the tankless systems (as of 2-3 years ago), don't really pay for themselves. However, a gas High Efficiency hot water heater is a very good deal.

Whether to get a heat pump depends a lot on the climate where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    From all the research I did, and was ultimately told by people in the industry.... the tankless systems (as of 2-3 years ago), don't really pay for themselves. However, a gas High Efficiency hot water heater is a very good deal.
    It takes about 10 years for them to pay for themselves (they have a life expectancy of 20 years). So yeah, it takes a really long time to recover the investment, but the do eventually. But I like them for the convenience of never running out of hot water and being able to change the heating temperature at the push of a button.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    My understanding is that heat pumps work fine for places down South where it doesn't get consistently cold. And that nobody uses them up North where Winters last from November to April...Maryland is sorta in that border zone and some builders use them.
    That is not completely true. The most efficient is a heat pump/gas combination. Where the heat pump heats when the outside temperature is above approximately 40 (way more efficient than gas above 45), and the gas furnace runs at lower temperatures (heat pumps start sucking horribly around freezing).

The upfront costs are greater, but the payback time is typically around 2 years for the equipment (assuming you get fair pricing). After which time the savings is all yours.

The issue is that the typical home owner either does not have the upfront money, or understands the systems/efficiencies... or neither.