Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Re: If we needed anymore ammo to think the NFL hates us....

I didn't expect to see the word "zionist" upon entering this thread, but I think I'm just going to slowly back away...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    What date would have made a good road trip to Detroit? Seems to me going to hell on earth in December is preferable to a warmer time.
    Definitely agree. When the weather gets warmer the natives become restless. And by restless I mean crimes shoot up some ridiculous percentage.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I've explained multiple times how this works. You guys don't want to understand it, that's okay. But to call it garbage is horseshit.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm going to plead ignorance, I don't think I've seen your posts on this...but my question is, Do you have a problem with the fact that the NFL played games on Rosh Hashanah in 2012 and are scheduled to do it in 2014? I believe I have seen in a few places that Rosh Hashanah is sundown on Wednesday through sundown on Thursday, meaning that BOTH Wednesday and Thursday games really would affect any Jewish fans. Not to mention, like I said, that there were games scheduled last year on Rosh Hashanah and likely to be a game on TNF in 2014 in the middle of Rosh Hashanah.

So to me, it's still kind've odd that the league is saying they can't schedule a Wednesday night game "because of Rosh Hashanah"...because a Thursday night game ALSO "violates" Rosh Hashanah? And I'm willing to bet next year, the TNF game during Rosh Hashanah will go on as planned and the NFL won't say a word.

To me, it's still about the money to the NFL. Thursday night gets better ratings than Wednesday night. If it was really about respecting the holiday, why not schedule it for Saturday? You'd still be the first game, and you would accomodate for the Jewish fans who can't watch the game in the stadium or on TV.

I'm not trying to get this moved to the political area, I just don't understand this.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Skip Bayless take on Ravens opening on the road vs. Orioles rights:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=918...goryid=2378529
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'm going to plead ignorance, I don't think I've seen your posts on this...but my question is, Do you have a problem with the fact that the NFL played games on Rosh Hashanah in 2012 and are scheduled to do it in 2014? I believe I have seen in a few places that Rosh Hashanah is sundown on Wednesday through sundown on Thursday, meaning that BOTH Wednesday and Thursday games really would affect any Jewish fans. Not to mention, like I said, that there were games scheduled last year on Rosh Hashanah and likely to be a game on TNF in 2014 in the middle of Rosh Hashanah.
    It wasn't a game that affected me as a season ticket holder. As I said in other threads, demographics play a role here. Playing a game on Rosh Hashanah in Green Bay Wisconsin arguably affects a whole lot fewer amount of Jewish season ticket holders than doing it here in Maryland, or in New York or Florida. This is why the Jets and Giants specifically ask the NFL not to schedule a game on RH, and why a game in Miami a couple years ago had its time moved get it in before the sun went down that first night.

It is not setting a precedent for the NFL to be aware of Jewish holidays, no matter what some want to believe. The difference here is that its our opening game, which has made people mad. I guarantee if this was week 2 at home, no one would give a second thought to the NFL needing to move the game away.

So to me, it's still kind've odd that the league is saying they can't schedule a Wednesday night game "because of Rosh Hashanah"...because a Thursday night game ALSO "violates" Rosh Hashanah? And I'm willing to bet next year, the TNF game during Rosh Hashanah will go on as planned and the NFL won't say a word.
    Well, here is the thing. The difference between Wednesday and Thursday is that not every American Jew, and some parts of Israel, celebrates both days. More Orthodox Jews, and some of us more Conservative Jews do. But the Reform Jews only do one day. So while on Thursday more Jews can or would attend or watch the game, Wednesday is non-negotiable. We are in Synagogue that night.

Now to your second part, see my first response. If the Seahawks win the SB next year, you are right. If the Dolphins or Giants were to win it, they would not schedule it.

To me, it's still about the money to the NFL. Thursday night gets better ratings than Wednesday night. If it was really about respecting the holiday, why not schedule it for Saturday? You'd still be the first game, and you would accomodate for the Jewish fans who can't watch the game in the stadium or on TV.

I'm not trying to get this moved to the political area, I just don't understand this.
    I'm speculating, but I would assume the league would get a ton of team complaints if the SB champions got a full bye after their first game. And you can't move the game forward to Saturday because the Orioles are still in town taking on the Yankees I believe.

This is my final post on this subject. The vibe I keep getting from some here (not you) who don't understand this has been increasingly bothersome to me, and in some cases offensive. So rather than leave the forum completely it is better for me to simply ignore the subject.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Skip Bayless take on Ravens opening on the road vs. Orioles rights:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=918...goryid=2378529
    Wow, for once I pretty much mostly agree with Skip...

The only part I don't like is where he starts trying to say "well the Orioles have been there longer and have more titles than the Ravens".

#1 - We have 6 NFL titles won in Baltimore (1958, 1959, 1968, 1970, 2000, 2012)...4 of them are cut and pasted to the Colts history, but they were EARNED in Baltimore

#2 - What the hell does it matter who was here first? Does that imply that, if somehow, the Orioles were to have a game that MLB wanted to play on a scheduled Ravens game, the Ravens should simply bow down and move it because "Orioles have been here longer"?

Basically, I can't fault the Orioles because honestly, no one could figure out how to make two games happen within a few hours of each other. Logistically, having two stadiums side by side just doesn't match up well for those occasions. What I would hope...is that going forward, NFL and MLB can work together when they make their scheduled to make sure these "potential overlaps" don't occur, at least for teams that logistically have stadiums in the same general areas.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    As a fan I agree, the less night games the better
    I think that is Bisciotti's take on it too.........but in general, unless the Pats, Giants, DC are winning the SB, the NFL is not really happy. Not saying its a conspiracy, or that they even realize how prejudiced they are, but its inbred in the Northeastern mentality of the Goodell crowd.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    I think that is Bisciotti's take on it too.........but in general, unless the Pats, Giants, DC are winning the SB, the NFL is not really happy. Not saying its a conspiracy, or that they even realize how prejudiced they are, but its inbred in the Northeastern mentality of the Goodell crowd.
    We are more Northeast than DC. This conspiracy that the NFL hates us is bologna. The NFL and MLB tried to work something out. The Orioles, namely Peter Angelos, weren't interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    The NFL and MLB tried to work something out. The Orioles, namely Peter Angelos, weren't interested.
    And the NFL wouldn't move the game to Wednesday because of dollars, and wanted Denver to host - the excuse of not playing on a holiday was just a ruse.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    We are more Northeast than DC.
    Geography is defined by the mapmakers--& I long ago stopped counting the number of US maps on which there's nary a city listed between DC and Philly. And for the same reason that we're the purple&black-headed stepchild of the NFL: market size. Baltimore is merely the 20th most populous metropolitan statistical area & is squeezed between the 6th & 7th, & with no football hinterland to speak of, might as well not exist to the Greedells of the world.

It frustrates me to recall how often in my European travels I've had to explain where my home town is in terms of DC & NY, & then get asked Oh, is it a small town? :grbac: (Yes, I reply, a very small town of only 600,000 inhabitants...)

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    That's right. Not as many people know that Jewish holidays go sundown to sundown so most people are having Thanksgiving dinner on the first night of Hanukkah. What the difference is, I am free to go to the football game, where no matter what happened to the opening night game, I couldn't go. As it is, I still have to DVR the Denver game. Some people simply don't understand the problem with Wednesday.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    The NFL was under no obligation to schedule with regard to religious holidays. That includes mine. Religious Jews won't be watching TV or attending a game on the first or second night of Rosh Hashanah, so just say "we don't like Wednesday night games."
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    Oh please, Jewish people comprise less than 5% of the population in America. It seems very zionist for the league to be bending over backwards, when they don't do this for anybody else, for such a small group number of people. And, most modern day American Jews would eat a bacon cheeseburger on a Jewish holiday.

It's kind of like how South Park can make fun of virtually every group of people and religion, but the only one that they ever really got in trouble for was Scientology.
    Have you ever watched "Family Guy?" That's show picks on Jews along with everybody else. This scheduling mess was not a Jewish controlled NFL thing, but, as I feared for the first time I heard this excuse for not playing Wednesday, there would be some people who would think that. Thank you, Goodell, you putz.

If the NFL would have considered the Ravens a potential Super Bowl winner from the beginning, they would have consulted with MLB and arranged for September 5 to be an away game or an off day for the Orioles. This mess was not the fault of Jews, Peter Angelos, the White Sox, the major league baseball players Association, Baltimore City, or anyone else not spelled NFL.
    Al