Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Re: If we needed anymore ammo to think the NFL hates us....

Apparently the NFL is giving the Ravens some kind of BS consolation prize by "allowing" Baltimore to host the pre-game festivities before the game starts in Denver. What's next, a victory parade without the players? This is nothing more than a consolation prize but more importantly a means to show up MLB. I have absolutely no interest in attending. In fact, it would be hilarious if no one attended and NBC was forced to air it.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    That's right. Not as many people know that Jewish holidays go sundown to sundown so most people are having Thanksgiving dinner on the first night of Hanukkah. What the difference is, I am free to go to the football game, where no matter what happened to the opening night game, I couldn't go. As it is, I still have to DVR the Denver game. Some people simply don't understand the problem with Wednesday.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Rosh Hashanah has absolutely nothing to do with the game not being played. The game won't be moved to Wednesday b/c of greed. The NFL couldn't care less about the holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Geography is defined by the mapmakers--& I long ago stopped counting the number of US maps on which there's nary a city listed between DC and Philly. And for the same reason that we're the purple&black-headed stepchild of the NFL: market size. Baltimore is merely the 20th most populous metropolitan statistical area & is squeezed between the 6th & 7th, & with no football hinterland to speak of, might as well not exist to the Greedells of the world.

It frustrates me to recall how often in my European travels I've had to explain where my home town is in terms of DC & NY, & then get asked Oh, is it a small town? :grbac: (Yes, I reply, a very small town of only 600,000 inhabitants...)
    I guess by that logic, one would think that the NFL most really despise the Green Bay Packers, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just off the top of my head, Indy, Jax, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Green Bay are all smaller markets than Baltimore. Does the NFL hate them?

Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer52 View Post
    Rosh Hashanah has absolutely nothing to do with the game not being played. The game won't be moved to Wednesday b/c of greed. The NFL couldn't care less about the holiday.
    Don't you think NBC might have something to say about moving the game? They are the ones paying hundreds of millions for broadcast rights, not the NFL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I guess by that logic, one would think that the NFL most really despise the Green Bay Packers, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just off the top of my head, Indy, Jax, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Green Bay are all smaller markets than Baltimore. Does the NFL hate them?
    No doubt the NFL likes bigger market teams out there winning to generate revenue, but if anything it puts parity, (salary cap and draft order as a few examples), ahead of anything else. That works against the teams that some are saying are favored, hence underachieving teams like Seattle, are given the real advantages to rise to the top.

Hell, I'm sure N.O. fans after Bountygate, SF through their eyes after C. Williams pushed a ref in the SB, NE after Spygate fines and draft loses all feel the NFL has them marked.

FWIW, people I know here in NE swear the NFL and national media hate the Patriots!

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Just off the top of my head, Indy, Jax, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Green Bay are all smaller markets than Baltimore.
    TV market size of the immediate metro areas is just one indicator of the size of the fanbase, including TV viewers and paying fans. None of the above metro areas are hemmed in, like Baltimore, between two 5+ million metros areas 40 miles to the south and 90 miles to the north. Charlotte, for instance, has a fan base of the Carolinas, total population over 14 million. Green Bay used to play half its home games in nearby Milwaukee. Denveris the home team of the West, shown on local TV stations for at least a 500 mile radius, and its nearby stadium hotels are packed for every home game with fans who support the home team.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer52 View Post
    Apparently the NFL is giving the Ravens some kind of BS consolation prize by "allowing" Baltimore to host the pre-game festivities before the game starts in Denver. What's next, a victory parade without the players?
    The Ravens already had a victory parade; they also already had a celebration. This is about the fans, and they are still going to get to be a part of something the following week. As for the players, the 2013 roster isn't going to be the same as the 2012 roster, so it isn't going to matter for a lot of them. As John Harbaugh said - the Ravens are not the defending champions. Nobody can take away the 2012 championship so they aren't defending anything. That was last season. They are just another team trying to win the 2013 title.

Personally, I would rather have the Ravens play a tough away game - one they have to play at some point - with four months to prepare, and then have ten days to get ready for a home opener (and recover from the only trip west the Ravens have) especially with a chip on their shoulder from some perceived slight. This actually works to the team's competitive benefit.

Besides, by playing the first game at home against Cleveland, at least Paul Kruger can be there for the festivities.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Personally, I would rather have the Ravens play a tough away game - one they have to play at some point - with four months to prepare, and then have ten days to get ready for a home opener (and recover from the only trip west the Ravens have) especially with a chip on their shoulder from some perceived slight. This actually works to the team's competitive benefit.
    I completely agree with this. Loads of time to prepare, and extra time to recover afterward. It comes as close to neutralizing the "road" part of "road game" as we could ask for. It's a blessing in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by OriAl View Post
    Have you ever watched "Family Guy?" That's show picks on Jews along with everybody else. This scheduling mess was not a Jewish controlled NFL thing, but, as I feared for the first time I heard this excuse for not playing Wednesday, there would be some people who would think that. Thank you, Goodell, you putz.

If the NFL would have considered the Ravens a potential Super Bowl winner from the beginning, they would have consulted with MLB and arranged for September 5 to be an away game or an off day for the Orioles. This mess was not the fault of Jews, Peter Angelos, the White Sox, the major league baseball players Association, Baltimore City, or anyone else not spelled NFL.

Right, and just like with the Scientology/South Park thing, the only time that Family Guy got an episode yanked was when it made fun of Jews. Nevermind the fact that they heavily make fun of Christianity, and nobody blinks an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    Right, and just like with the Scientology/South Park thing, the only time that Family Guy got an episode yanked was when it made fun of Jews. Nevermind the fact that they heavily make fun of Christianity, and nobody blinks an eye.
    Actually the "When you Wish Upon a Weinstein" episode re-airs regularly, the only episode of Family Guy to get pulled was the one where Lois struggled with the decision to get an abortion. But why let facts get in the way of good Jewish conspiracy?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The holiday excuse is garbage because of the idea that the NFL is respecting the holiday. It's not garbage because a large population in the #1 TV market won't be able to watch the game which means lower ratings. The NFL is not worried about upsetting observing fans. They're upset because they won't be able to beat last years ratings which is something the networks push for every year. As usual it's about money even though they try to pretend that it's about something else.
    Not trying to be a prick here, but I have search for restrictions against watching TV on Rosh Hashanah, and I have yet to find any.
    Secondly, why would this prohibition, if it specifically exists, not apply to Thursday night as well because Rosh Hashanah runs from sun down wednesday to sundown friday?

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Not trying to be a prick here, but I have search for restrictions against watching TV on Rosh Hashanah, and I have yet to find any.
    Really? First google hit for "Jewish Holiday restrictions":

http://www.ou.org/chagim/important.htm

All Jewish Holidays with Sabbath-like restrictions require that all normal business, school or secular activities cease about two hours before sundown on the eve of the Holiday to allow for adequate preparations.

Actual Holiday restrictions go into effect approximately half an hour before sundown on the eve of the Holiday. Some of the restricted activities include all forms of vehicular travel, writing, direct use of electrical devices, measurements and any preparations for, or discussion of, normal weekday activities or responsibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Secondly, why would this prohibition, if it specifically exists, not apply to Thursday night as well because Rosh Hashanah runs from sun down wednesday to sundown friday?
    It does actually, however the percentage of American Jews who observe the second night of the major holidays is a much smaller subset of the overall community. Thus it will have a much lower effect on ratings than a Wednesday game. (Which is already a lower rating night to begin with.)
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron