Thread: Pat Summerall

Pat Summerall

Along with John Facenda, Summerall was the "voice of the NFL" for decades. Always understated, giving his partner plenty of room to work (and boy, did Madden need the room). A great pro.

RIP.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Re: Pat Summerall

Yeah, I still remember Summerall co-hosting (along with Tom Brookshier) the "NFL Game of the Week" highlights shows. Those aired Saturday afternoons in the Baltimore area back in the 70s. That was a big deal for a football-crazed kid back in the days before people could call up highlights at will over the internet. :)

Another legend gone...

Blog Entries

I once heard an extended interview with Pat Summerall he was nothing like I expected. He was a very wild guy who never really grew up after his playing days were over. He said that he loved working with Brookshier but they would be out drinking all night and going to clubs. CBS finally separated them because they were worried that one of them was going to end up seriously hurt or dead. Summerall said that working with Madden was the complete opposite and they just clicked perfectly in the booth. It was very interesting. Pat Summerall really lived his life. RIP

Madden said it best. He was "the soundtrack of the NFL".

I remember growing up and after that long summer with no football, his voice on the TV was when I knew football was back on the air.

Without a doubt the Summerall-Madden team was my favorite tandem. They just had a way to add excitement to the game itself.

Blog Entries

R. I. P. Pat, you were appreciated... Bc

He is the voice i associate to football, R.I.P

Blog Entries

Another important person in my life after watching all those games has departed.
    He was someone you always identified with like Madden, Curt Gowdy, Chuck
    Thompson while growing up and old.

I thought his voice was perfect for golf as he did that too.

He lived a good long life.

RIP

Blog Entries

One of the best play by play guys ever, especially when teamed with Madden.

RIP Mr. Summerall

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I really liked the Summerall/Brookshier team, but I felt that Madden was too much of a showboater when paired with Summerall.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I always loved Summerall.

It was shocking to me that he was such a wild party animal given how professionally he always carried himself on air. I'm seriously amazed that guy lived to 82, though he stopped his heavy drinking eventually.

Keith Jackson on Saturdays and Pat Summerall on Sundays. will never forget either of those voices.