Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

My final mock draft---10 day out division.

Here goes:

If I get more than two of these right, I'd be surprised. Let me know your thoughts...

1(32)-I think at least 5 out of the sextet of Eifert, Elam, Minter, Ogletree, Teo, and Cyprian are all still sitting there at 32 when the Ravens pick. I am of the opinion that Ozzie will trade down into the 2nd round if his options are LBs and Safeties. The one player that the Ravens would target who wouldn't be a trade-down option is Eifert. So, with the 32nd pick, the Ravens select Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

Eifert makes sense in a zillion ways.

First off, he's arguably the best player out of all the young men mentioned above. He has no red flags in terms of effort, attitude, or injury. His on-field capabilities are proven.

Secondly, he fills a short and long term need. Short term he can help to absorb some of Boldin's role as a guy can who line up wide and go over the middle and make catches in traffic. He also would instantly become the best blocking TE on the team, making him a nice asset on both passing and running downs. Long term, he provides stability at the position in the event that Dickson leaves after 2013 (likely) or Pitta does (less likely, but still possible).

2(62)- Safety, inside LB, WR, CB are all still the greatest possibilities at this position. S is clearly the most pressing need with no clear starter to put next to Michael Huff. The Ravens should have plenty of nice safety options at 62 ranging from Eric Reid to Philip Thomas, but Newsome selects the player most ready to step in and start right away. That's DJ Swearinger, S, South Carolina. Swearinger probably offers a little less upside than Thomas, Eric Reid, or projected 3rd rounder Baccari Rambo, but he is the least risky option here. He was a 4 year starter for the Gamecocks who is well-rounded in every aspect of his position. If you are expecting Ed Reed, that's not him. He's not a Pollard-like hitter either. He's simply steady in every area of play. Some would argue that the above description fits a Kim Herring type player and that's not worthy of a 2nd round pick, but Swearinger seems to be trending upward, so if he's still around at 62, it represents a good value.

3(pick 88 obtained via trade with Green Bay. Traded pick 94 and pick 199)- This pick is more about BPA than drafting for a targeted position. Ravens pick Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU I think if the Ravens want Mathieu, they are either toing to have draft him at 62 or trade up in the 3rd. I don't think he's there at pick 94. Love him or hate him, you have to admit that he's got some undeniable talent. I do have durability concerns for him playing the slot in the NFL, but his on-field abilities are perfect for the Ravens. He is a guy who can play right away as the nickle/dime back and would be an instant upgrade over the inconsistent Chykie Brown. He's also a superb tackler, and pairing him with Graham/Webb/Jimmy Smith/Huff would give the Ravens arguably the best tackling secondary in the league. Baltimore would have a love affair with Mathieu if he can resemble the player we saw in 2011.

4(111, from Miami, for pick 129 and 165)- Ravens select Barrett Jones, OG/C/T, Alabama It's hard to envision Jones slipping this far, but there are concerns about where he can start in the NFL. Also, it is appearing likely at this point that he will start the year on the PUP, missing the first six games of the year. That will scare teams off, but not enough for him to fall to 129, thus necessitating the need to move up and draft him. The Ravens have a deep enough roster and enough patience to recognize what a nice addition Jones would be to the franchise long term to let a short-term injury slow them down.

4(130, supplemental)- With their 4th straight SEC draftee, the Ravens take Chris Faulk, OT, LSU. Faulk missed all of 2012, hurting his draft stock immensely. Had Faulk had a healthy junior year to match his 2011 sophomore year, we'd be talking about Faulk as the 4th cornerstone LT of the draft, along with Joekel, Fisher, and Johnson. Injuries drop him 3 1/2 rounds from where he would have likely have been taken. In all truth, I think it's probably a less than 50% probability that Faulk reaches this pick in the draft.

5(168, supplemental)- Kevin Reddick, MLB, North Carolina- Good athlete who should help on special teams and might even have value on passing downs immediately.

6(200)- Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford Toilolo is a massive sleeper. He's probably a 4th round talent in a lot of drafts, but he slides to the late 6th round thanks to a deep TE class and a limited amount of opportunities at Stanford behind Ertz and Fleener. Yes, this gives the Ravens four TEs for 2013, but it solidifies the positions for years to come.

6(203, supplemental)- Ace Sanders, WR, South Carolina The odds are fair that Sanders might never see an NFL field or might only be a return guy. With your supplemental 6th rounder, you aren't losing much if either of those scenarios occur. The odds are that the Ravens will need a kick returner in 2014 upon Jacoby Jones' departure and Sanders becomes a candidate for that.

7(238)- Joe Madsen, C, WVU- Pretty polished player for a late 7th rounder, but given his position and relatively low ceiling, he is projected as a late 6th rounder all the way through undrafted status. This would be a nice guy for the Ravens to tuck away for a rainy day in 2014, but if Barrett Jones is not ready to go, Madsen has an excellent chance of making the opening 53.

7(247,supplemental)- Larry Black Jr, DT, Indiana Black is projected as an undrafted guy, but is worth taking with one of the last picks of this draft. He was very productive in 2012 in his final year in Bloomington. His value in 2013 is minimal, but he could be a factor in the 2014 rotation.

Re: My final mock draft---10 day out division.

Should say "edition" not "division" Dolp. Spend all this time finalizing this thing only to mess that up.

Blog Entries

Has Reddick's stock dropped? End of the 5th? Admittedly I have been out of the loop the past few weeks, since the Combine really, but I thought he was more highly regarded than that. I mean, yeah, it'd be great to get him at that spot, no doubt. But from what I recall from te Combine days that would not have been at all likely. Has something happened with him to drop to that point? Ditto Barrett Jones.

Now Chris Faulk, that's a possibility and I'd be in favor of that one 100% at that point in the draft.

Blog Entries

wishful thinking! No way Eifert gets past the 20th pick, noway Jones lasts til the 4th especially late, and no way Reddick makes it to the supplemental part of the 5th or 5th period. And noway Mathieau makes to the end of the 3rd either.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 04-15-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Too much quoting

Blog Entries

you might want to Remock. I doubt I could do any better, btw.
    Last edited by Tolucaraven; 04-15-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    you might want to Remock.
    Just to satisfy your childish responses? I don't operate like that. Feel free to do your own mock draft if you dislike mine so much. I'm sure others here will be more polite with their critiques than you are.

Reddick and Jones are sliding big time. Reddick is being projected in the 4th-5th round widely now. Yes, getting him in the supplemental 5th area is probably idealistic, but so what?

I've seen mock drafts that have Jones going in the early 5th round. The guy is likely going to, at best, give you 3.5 years out of his 4 year contract. That right there would scare some win-now-or-I-could-get-fired GMs.

The majority of mock drafts I've seen (over 15) have Mathieu as a mid-to-late 3rd rounder, so thinking he'd go 88th is not outlandish in any way.

Eifert getting past Green Bay is what worries me most. To say he is assured of going in the top 20 as fact is very presumptive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Just to satisfy your childish responses? I don't operate like that. Feel free to do your own mock draft if you dislike mine so much. I'm sure others here will be more polite with their critiques than you are.

Reddick and Jones are sliding big time. Reddick is being projected in the 4th-5th round widely now. Yes, getting him in the supplemental 5th area is probably idealistic, but so what?

I've seen mock drafts that have Jones going in the early 5th round. The guy is likely going to, at best, give you 3.5 years out of his 4 year contract. That right there would scare some win-now-or-I-could-get-fired GMs.

The majority of mock drafts I've seen (over 15) have Mathieu as a mid-to-late 3rd rounder, so thinking he'd go 88th is not outlandish in any way.

Eifert getting past Green Bay is what worries me most. To say he is assured of going in the top 20 as fact is very presumptive.
    No offense intended, like I said I doubt I could do any better, but Eifert is screaming up the draft boards.

My mock only 4 rounds
    1) Elam S
    2) Barrett Jones C/G/T
    3) Kelce ( wishful thinking bigtime) TE character issues.
    4) Klein LB (likely IR) Inured at combine
    4b)Kruger DE/DT

Very, very nice mock, Luke. My only quibble is I wouldn't trade up for Jones as I like other players more but hey, that's a minor quibble and having Jones on the team is fine by me.

Blog Entries

Good job...I still don't love the idea of drafting a TE at 32, partially because I want Pitta to stay long term, and partially because I feel like it's TOO much of a luxury pick for this year. But looking long term, I suppose it would provide us insurance for Pitta leaving at worst, and provide us a replacement for Dickson to complement Pitta at best.

I would rather see Hopkins or a value WR. If that's not there though, I guess TE might work, but it could be a spot to allow us to trade back too.

I'm also not totally sold on trading up for Honey Badger. His highlight reel screams a young Ed Reed, but his drug concerns are still a bit of a red flag, and his size at CB is a bit concerning. If he's there at our natural 3rd, I'd grab him though.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    No offense intended, like I said I doubt I could do any better, but Eifert is screaming up the draft boards.

My mock only 4 rounds
    1) Elam S
    2) Barrett Jones C/G/T
    3) Kelce ( wishful thinking bigtime) TE character issues.
    4) Klein LB (likely IR) Inured at combine
    4b)Kruger DE/DT
    I don't think Kruger is a 4th rounder at all. Late 5th-6th range I think is more appropriate for him.

Blog Entries

I have no idea how it will go but great job as usual. You know your stuff on the draft LD

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Without projecting trades (there are obviously going to be some trades somewhere), here are my picks:

1. (32): DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
    2. (62): DJ Swearinger, S, South Carolina
    3. (94): Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati
    4. (129): David Quesenberry, OT/OG/C, San Jose
    4. (130): Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn state
    5. (165): Kwame Geathers, Georgia
    5. (168): Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific
    6. (199): Joe Kruger, DE, Utah
    6. (200) Brandon McGee, CB, Miami U
    6. (203): Steve Beauharnais, LB, Rutgers
    7. (238): Quinton Dial, DT, Alabama
    7. (247): Braxston Cave, C, Notre Dame

Hell yeah, that is one shit load of depth and a ton of competition for TC.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 04-15-2013 at 09:58 PM.