Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Drafting Zac Dysert

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    What do you think teams would offer for Kirk Cousins if the Redskins said he were available?
    If Cousins hadn't played it wouldn't be as high as the Redskins spent to draft him. Now that he has played well the Redskins wouldn't trade him unless a team overpaid and that's not happening.

That's the issue with taking a QB in the mid rounds. Last year the Broncos took Brock Osweiler in the 2nd round. He was a considered a better prospect than Cousins. Osweiler threw about 5 passes last year. How much would teams offer the Broncos for him?

Matt Cassel and Kevin Kolb killed the market for these unproven guys. Teams can just go out a draft one if they want that kind of player. Plus soon enough as we get into this CBA there are going to be tons of these guys who will still be young and on the free agent market since teams will only be able to control their rights for 4 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If Cousins hadn't played it wouldn't be as high as the Redskins spent to draft him. Now that he has played well the Redskins wouldn't trade him unless a team overpaid and that's not happening.

That's the issue with taking a QB in the mid rounds. Last year the Broncos took Brock Osweiler in the 2nd round. He was a considered a better prospect than Cousins. Osweiler threw about 5 passes last year. How much would teams offer the Broncos for him?

Matt Cassel and Kevin Kolb killed the market for these unproven guys. Teams can just go out a draft one if they want that kind of player. Plus soon enough as we get into this CBA there are going to be tons of these guys who will still be young and on the free agent market since teams will only be able to control their rights for 4 years.
    I could see a team like the Cards giving up a 2nd rounder for Osweiler. They are going to have to invest a high round pick in a QB this year, and just say for one minute the Broncos put him on the trade block, why not take someone who already has a year under his belt of NFL maturation and learning a pro style offense? The Cards are likely looking at guys like Mike Glennon, and Matt Barkley in the 2nd round, who are arguably not as good as prospect that Brock Osweiler is.

(I'm not a fan of Osweiler's btw, I was just using him as an example here, and what I think teams may be thinking about guys like that)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I could see a team like the Cards giving up a 2nd rounder for Osweiler. They are going to have to invest a high round pick in a QB this year, and just say for one minute the Broncos put him on the trade block, why not take someone who already has a year under his belt of NFL maturation and learning a pro style offense? The Cards are likely looking at guys like Mike Glennon, and Matt Barkley in the 2nd round, who are arguably not as good as prospect that Brock Osweiler is.

(I'm not a fan of Osweiler's btw, I was just using him as an example here, and what I think teams may be thinking about guys like that)
    The reason why you don't is because there is no more restricted free agency. He's developing in his 1st year so unless a team hates him they aren't going to dump then. After his 2nd second they have an idea of what kind of player they have and might listen to offers. If you're the Cardinals a you going to trade a 2nd round pick for an unproven player who will be a free agent in just 2 years? That wasn't the case in the past. The new CBA just doesn't make those guys very appealing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The reason why you don't is because there is no more restricted free agency. He's developing in his 1st year so unless a team hates him they aren't going to dump then. After his 2nd second they have an idea of what kind of player they have and might listen to offers. If you're the Cardinals a you going to trade a 2nd round pick for an unproven player who will be a free agent in just 2 years? That wasn't the case in the past. The new CBA just doesn't make those guys very appealing.
    Good point. But if it is to happen, then I think trading in the 2nd year makes sense, because you're getting a young QB for two years to prove him self playing for a cheap price. Giving up that draft pick may be a bit risky, but when the draft has minimal talent at the QB position, you may have no choice.

Would I give up a 2nd rounder for Osweiler? Absolutely not, but I'm not a GM and I'm sure there would be a lot of teams who'd at least consider it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Flacco could break a bone in his hand or tear his pec or any other number of totally recoverable injury that would sideline him for half a season or more. If his back up were to go out and play at a high level for those 8 games, we wouldn't just ship Flacco off when he recovers, but we would suddenly be sitting on a valuable commodity. I'd be down with picking up a guy like that with a late 4th or 5th.
    Ditto.

With so many picks and the possibility of adding more by trading down I'd definitely use one of the #4s on Zac. Now
    is the time to groom him while JOe is still here.

It's not a question of Joe walking but Ozzie telling him to take a hike ala Reed, Pollard and Boldin. It's quite possible JOe might not ever see the back end of that contract.

Tony just wrote about it in his rumors article and it was mentioned on the radio.

Never say never - especially with all the extra #4s and only a need or two to be filled.

This team is so deep after winning the trophy with Webb coming back who wasn't even in the SB, it's scary.
    Adding Joe's replacement would be even scarrier to the opposition. Ozzie and always thinking and planning
    ahead.