Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Drafting Zac Dysert

If you had the opportunity to draft Zac Dysert (QB, Miami) in the 4th round, would you do it? Would he be the kind of developmental QB that could eventually be a NFL-caliber starter worthy of a roster spot with an eye to the future:

a) if Flacco walks/cut when his cap number balloons, or
    b) as a tradable commodity to a QB-starved team for a high pick.

I think that wouldn't necessarily be a bad investment strategy with so many draft picks. He definitely needs work, but does have some significant upside.

Ngata_Chance Guest

Re: Drafting Zac Dysert

Dysert definitely has a lot of upside and imo has a lot of pro potential. He reminds me of an alumni in his school (Big Ben). That said we are not exactly known for developing QB's so I dont think it will carry much clout with other teams.

I also dont see Flacco walking.

If this were a LB, DB, RB, G then yeah I mean we can develop those guys so it would be different.

I don't know if I'd spend a 4th on a QB, but I wouldn't be opposed to using a 5 or 6.

I'm just not a fan of relying on Tyrod Taylor, and at some point, I imagine Joe is going to miss a couple games.

In addition, if you really hit on one of those guys, you can get a comp or traded pick higher than the round you originally drafted them.

I remember Ron Wolf made it a habit of drafting QB's in Green Bay and routinely got 2nd and 3rd round picks in the future for guys...and they didn't even play in regular season games! He said that you should always take a QB in every draft. I don't know if i think you should in EVERY draft, but I wouldn't be opposed to it in the later rounds if a guy is there that has some potential.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't know if I'd spend a 4th on a QB, but I wouldn't be opposed to using a 5 or 6.

I'm just not a fan of relying on Tyrod Taylor, and at some point, I imagine Joe is going to miss a couple games.

In addition, if you really hit on one of those guys, you can get a comp or traded pick higher than the round you originally drafted them.

I remember Ron Wolf made it a habit of drafting QB's in Green Bay and routinely got 2nd and 3rd round picks in the future for guys...and they didn't even play in regular season games! He said that you should always take a QB in every draft. I don't know if i think you should in EVERY draft, but I wouldn't be opposed to it in the later rounds if a guy is there that has some potential.
    I think the days of trading that backup QB are long gone. Too many teams have gotten burned on those deals in the past. Plus a team just doesn't control a player as long with the RFA tag going away. These 3rd round picks and later will hit free agency by year 4. Why trade a pick for a guy you can just get in free agency? The draft rules have changed and you can't think they way they did in the past.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Ron Wolf was retired but recommended that GB get Boller. They offered NE the same draft picks Ozzie did but he had the higher picks so we got stuck with Kyle.

Then GB drafted the guy who took Boller's place at Cal - Aaron Rogers and the rest is history. Wolf retired to Annapolis but still did consulting work for GB.

Miami also offered the same picks for Boller. He was a top 20 pick on the boards at that time. Leftwich was the guy we all wanted. I asked Phil Savage at the Barn why didn't Oz make a trade for Lefty the day before or morning of the draft. Remember, Minn let the clock run down as they contemplated a trade with JAX after Ozzie offered a trade. Ozzie's old friend James the shack Harris tried to tie the phones up. Ozzie kept yelling, the clock is running out.

Finally Minn Oked the deal but Ozzie only had 30 seconds to make the call and someone tied that line up. The Usual Suspects were his old pal The Shack.
    Oz never got the card in and Minn lost its spot in the draft and Jax got it and Leftwhich.

Anyway, PHil answered my question by saying Ozzie knew he would get either Suggs or Leftwich in the draft.

I said did Ozzie really make that call or did he fake it. PHil said he made it, I was sitting next to him but Oz still could have faked it.

Never happened before or since and Suggs turned out to be one of the best linebackers that ever played while Lefty and Harris lost their jobs in short order.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-14-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I think the days of trading that backup QB are long gone. Too many teams have gotten burned on those deals in the past. Plus a team just doesn't control a player as long with the RFA tag going away. These 3rd round picks and later will hit free agency by year 4. Why trade a pick for a guy you can just get in free agency? The draft rules have changed and you can't think they way they did in the past.
    I don't know about that.

Especially with all the QB movement this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

"If Flacco is cut or walks..." Wow.

No! Flacco isn't going anywhere. If they draft one..if...it would probably be in the 6th or 7th.

Blog Entries
    They need a backup but not for the reasons that you listed IMO. Yes I'd like to see them draft Zac

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    "If Flacco is cut or walks..." Wow.
    What's so wow about it? In four years his cap number is going to be in the high $20M range. That's an obvious scenario for a restructure, but what if he choose not to restructure at that point? Or, what if he has a regression or injury and the Ravens just simply think he's not worth the investment at that point? Sure, we as fans don't want to think that that kind of thing doesn't happen, but it's not stupid to plan for the possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    They need a backup but not for the reasons that you listed IMO. Yes I'd like to see them draft Zac
    I think so as well. Those were only additional reasons I thought drafting a QB similar to a Flacco model would be a good investment. From what I've seen of Tyrod Taylor (which is admittedly little), the Ravens are in big trouble if he's the next man up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    What's so wow about it? In four years his cap number is going to be in the high $20M range. That's an obvious scenario for a restructure, but what if he choose not to restructure at that point? Or, what if he has a regression or injury and the Ravens just simply think he's not worth the investment at that point? Sure, we as fans don't want to think that that kind of thing doesn't happen, but it's not stupid to plan for the possibilities.
    With the changing landscape of the cap, some GM is going to do this. Draft another QB so you have options outside of tying up 1/3 of your cap. It may get him fired, but it's bound to happen and I think Cinci would be wise to consider it.

With the salary cap changes for rookies, there was supposed to be more money spread out on veterans, but it's not happening. Teams that have a ton tied up in their QB, LT, in our case DT, have the rich, the poor, and not much middle class.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!