Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: I still want this to happen, I want another Middle Linebacker

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata_Chance View Post
    So many people have forgotten about Ray Ray Armstrong it is a little disheartening. Last year he would have been the unquestioned number one safety in the draft. Thanks to that Miami scandal he will be lucky to get drafted. Yes a year from football could hurt him, but considering he just ran a 4.4 at his pro day
    He ran a 4.65. that's not exactly a 4.4
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/0...es-return.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Swearinger is a Bernard Pollard clone.
    Totally different players IMO.

Pollard is considerably bigger to start with and is more stiff in coverage. Swearinger is more athletic, faster, but can't play in the box like Pollard can, he isn't close to Pollard in run support. Swearinger is better in coverage, and its not even close, obviously we don't know how it will play out in the NFL, but Swearinger was covering slot receivers at South Carolina. Pollard gets eaten alive in coverage when he's asked to cover tight ends, let a lot slot receivers.

In terms of on field energy, and the fact that both can lay the wood, yes I see the comparison there, but that's where it really ends.

Ngata_Chance Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    He ran a 4.65. that's not exactly a 4.4
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/0...es-return.html

When he first ran it people were saying it was 4.4, I think I got the text sent to my phone. Either way, 4.65 6'4" 220 is still a premier athlete at the position. I would take his upside over any safeties in this draft.

I personally like Swearinger and would approve a selection in round late round 2 or early round 3 if available.

As far as ILB, I think we just have to wait and see who falls. There is a good chance that none are available by #32 except for probably Minter, who I really am not really that high on anymore. With this McClain pickup, the Ravens do not have to worry about forcing the ILB issue and now support their $120 million QB with another playmaking WR or we could grab another safety or LT.

Truthfully speaking, there is a good chance that #32 is another team's pick in the end. The Raven's have the arsenal to trade up for a player especially considering, there aren't that many holes on this team and could in fact target a slot to pick the player they covet.

Final thought, is Nigel Carr still on the practice squad and does anyone know his status for getting time this year?

Other than Eifert, Patterson and Austin I hope the Ravens trade back. I would be ok taking Teo or another ILB if they trade back. It is going to be interesting to see if there is a run on QBs in the first round or if this is like Rogers draft where few went in the first round. If there is no run on QBs it makes the valuable in a trade to a team at the top of the 2nd. If there is a run on QBs in the first it means there is probably a better player than expected that can be picked at 32. Not sure how I want to see it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata_Chance View Post
    That does not mean they are right about Swearinger. There are prospects you could have after him who have a better chance at success. He is a middle of the road guy.
    Nothing about this comment makes a shred of sense. Isn't that the case in every draft? You could have a prospect who is drafted behind a certain player who COULD have better success? I'm sure Wilson or Martin COULD have a better career than Trent Richardson, but I don't think there were too many teams considering drafting them anywhere near Richardson in last year's draft.

The statement that Swearinger is a 4th rounder is ridiculous. This is not a super draft for over all talent, but it is a nice draft for certain positions (TE and S come to mind first). If Swearinger is regarded by pretty much everyone who does this for a living as a 35-62 prospect, it's because he's shown a lot to warrant that feeling. It's not because he is being overdrafted due to a positional shortage. That was Harrison Smith last year.

Ngata_Chance Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Nothing about this comment makes a shred of sense. Isn't that the case in every draft? You could have a prospect who is drafted behind a certain player who COULD have better success? I'm sure Wilson or Martin COULD have a better career than Trent Richardson, but I don't think there were too many teams considering drafting them anywhere near Richardson in last year's draft.

The statement that Swearinger is a 4th rounder is ridiculous. This is not a super draft for over all talent, but it is a nice draft for certain positions (TE and S come to mind first). If Swearinger is regarded by pretty much everyone who does this for a living as a 35-62 prospect, it's because he's shown a lot to warrant that feeling. It's not because he is being overdrafted due to a positional shortage. That was Harrison Smith last year.
    And dont these experts get it wrong a lot to. Teams overdraft every year it is not crazy to say that some prospects have a better shot than another and are getting overdrafted due to undo hype. We see it every year with QB (Sanchez), Combine Warriors (Poe), and hype machines.

Blog Entries

I respect everyone's opinion here, but my own eyes tell me that Swearinger is the fourth best safety in this class. All of the draft analysts I pay attention to think that Swearinger is a solid 2nd round prospect. I strongly disagree that he's a "middle of the road", and a 4th round projection is totally wrong IMO. This guy was forced to play corner for a stretch of games, and did a nice job.

Yep, it really looks like Swearinger is a 2nd round pick. Maaaaybe he'll fall to the top of the third but don't count on it.

One of the nice things about this year's safety class is that you got several FS/SS hybrids: players who can get dirty in the box but can be trusted to line up with the slot receiver. That's the way the position is evolving. The main question about some of these guys is how well they wil hold up to injuries.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

I think Teo will be gone if not long gone by the time we come up. I think the scandalous stuff is wearing off now and someone won't be able to resist getting him in the 20s or so. Even so if he was there for the taking and we're staying at 32 and are looking LB give me Ogeltree or Minter all day. Although I have to admit a WR at that spot is looking more and more interesting.

Blog Entries

we still have a need at ILB but now that we have some depth at least we shouldnt have to reach for a talent. None of these ILBs are first round talents in just about any draft outside this one apparently, which im still not sure they do go in the first. Id rather wait to see whos available at 2 or even 3 before spending a 1st on any of the top 3. if olgetree teo and minter go late 1 early 2 that leaves a good group of ILBs still available for possibly our 2nd.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think Shamarko Thomas is about right, Philip Thomas a little too low and Matt Elam Way too low.

Swearinger is a Bernard Pollard clone.
    Yes, I noticed Shamarko Thomas some time ago. The knock on him is his height, but he plays so big and his measureables are off the chart...and that is where he makes up for his height.
    4.3ish speed and 40" vertical. He can get up and knock away passes and he has the speed to close on anything, pass or run. And he is a big hitter against the run.
    I also like both Arthur Brown and Kiko Alonso.
    IF Oz can pick up one of those two and Shamarko Thomas, I would be thrilled.
    Arthur Brown is like the Niners' Bowman and Alonso is 6'4" and has terrific game speed.

And I see, someone mentioned Ray Ray Armstrong.
    Believe me, the Ravens haven't forgot about Armstrong. He's from the U.
    He will not go high at all, so he is a later half of the draft pick.
    Maybe after the Ravens grab their first 4 or 5 players, he might move into view in their chart.
    It will probably take him all season to get his act back together...maybe by December.
    I can't see him going before the 4th at all unless it is with our comp pick in the 4th.
    Last edited by Ravens44; 04-15-2013 at 10:37 AM.