Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    WIFI in stadiums sounds great until you factor in all the bandwidth you would need for so many connections at one time. There is no magical way to offer up good WIFI service to 70,000 people at one time. It's similar to everyone cranking up their Air Conditioning on a 103 degree day and taking down the local power grid in the process. Technology won't allow for thousands of people trying to access a handful of access points at one time.
    Um, that's definitely not true. I work for a publicly traded company that designs and manufactures enterprise class WiFi equipment. One of our largest business units focuses on lighting up large public venues such as stadiums with WiFi. There are a lot of ways to make it work well and I've been part of the team that worked on several of these projects.

But we're getting way off topic here ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravannapolis View Post
    Um, that's definitely not true. I work for a publicly traded company that designs and manufactures enterprise class WiFi equipment. One of our largest business units focuses on lighting up large public venues such as stadiums with WiFi. There are a lot of ways to make it work well and I've been part of the team that worked on several of these projects.

But we're getting way off topic here ...
    What about security? Man in the middle attacks seem like they would be particularly effective having that many people to choose from.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    What about security? Man in the middle attacks seem like they would be particularly effective having that many people to choose from.
    That's easy to mitigate when you bring all traffic to the controller and don't allow station to station communications without going through the controller's firewall. We're not talking about consumer level products here. The security for enterprise wireless devices is as good if not better than wired devices these days.

Interesting. Thanks.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Its an interesting theory because I have had the same problem with AT&T in other stadiums while the person next to me has a good signal. Before mobile share (or even unlimited mobile to mobile), I would not have switched from AT&T because of so many extended family on AT&T. But now with Mobile share, I would consider it. But I am under contract for over a year to go, so I will probably just stay with AT&T.

Btw: I am all for wifi in stadiums as well. And yes real fan dan, I will still be able to cheer ;)