Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Wi-fi in stadiums is a dumb investment. I don't go to games to look at a smartphone. There are two huge HDTV screens at either end of the stadium that should provide me everything that I would be interested in while watching the games.
    "Should" is the key word in your sentence- they don't.

I sincerely beg to differ on the wifi- and I'll guarantee you that *thousands* of other fans do as well- The VZ and ATT signals just can't handle all of the traffic on game days from the same location- so if it alleviates any of this it would be a BIG improvement. I don't even play fantasy football- but just getting up to the minute scores is impossible on our video boards- in case you've ever compared the scores to live scores on ESPN or SI apps- the scores in the stadium are almost ALWAYS lagging behind by at least 30 minutes- and sometimes they are up to a quarter behind, or just plain WRONG on occasions (one game last season they must have been putting up scores from the wrong week!- The in stadium scoreboard is HORRIBLE.

As for the crowd noise prompts- that's just Bush league... Just like Atlanta- that stadium should be so loud on it's own, but they have to flash signs constantly- and they're still not nearly as loud as they should be considering they're indoors. I was not impressed on that Thursday night game a few years back. It's just lame...

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Do you guys realize that the NFL actually passed a rule that favors the Defense for a change? :D
    But unfortunately, it only favors the home team. Like the NFL needs more of a home field advantage. And again, we're a fanbase that actually knows what to do without this nonsense, while other fanbases will benefit from it. If they wanted to pass a rule to benefit defenses, ease up on all of the nonsense penalties.

Honestly, one rule that I would like to see that I think would be pretty reasonable would be for automatic first down penalties that would have otherwise resulted in a 4th down or turnover on downs to revert to 2nd down instead of 1st down. It make make the penalty a bit more reasonable, and put the games a bit more back into the player's hands.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch, but I am pretty certain the league blocks GSM signals.

When my wife and I first met, she had Verizon and I had AT&T. When we went to games, she always had data and a signal whereas I couldn't even send a text sometimes. We are now both on AT&T and when we went back for the Colts playoff game, neither of us could get a signal. A dude sitting behind us had Verizon and had no issues.

Verizon is the official carrier of the league so I would not be surprised that the league employes an inverse wave generator much like concert promoters use to block data (i.e. pics and video).

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch, but I am pretty certain the league blocks GSM signals.

When my wife and I first met, she had Verizon and I had AT&T. When we went to games, she always had data and a signal whereas I couldn't even send a text sometimes. We are now both on AT&T and when we went back for the Colts playoff game, neither of us could get a signal. A dude sitting behind us had Verizon and had no issues.

Verizon is the official carrier of the league so I would not be surprised that the league employes an inverse wave generator much like concert promoters use to block data (i.e. pics and video).
    I'm on AT&T too. I can get a text to go through sometimes at the game but the signal is always extremely weak. Forget about any kind of data use. Since I got the iPhone 5 with LTE it's slightly better. I always just attributed it to AT&T's crappier network.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    Frankly, I like home-grown excitement, not team-generated crap. I can not stand Camden Yards' video prompting and do not participate because of it. Yes, there are those at the stadium that do not get ramped up, but that just means I have to yell louder to compensate.

Just another example that the sheep-le need to be lead.
    What about: (beat) (beat) DE - fense? or "Move those chains..." they are cued by PA, if not electronic signage?

I agree that scripting crowd noise (like they did @ Fed-Ex this year) is lame, but let's not dislocate shoulders patting selves on back. I used to bring a little plastic M&T Bank-distributed megaphone to games, till neighbors told me to shut up. Yeah, right. Wouldn't want any crowd noise ruining your day...

I will say the adoption last season of the Seven Nation Army chant was refreshingly populist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    What about: (beat) (beat) DE - fense? or "Move those chains..." they are cued by PA, if not electronic signage?

I agree that scripting crowd noise (like they did @ Fed-Ex this year) is lame, but let's not dislocate shoulders patting selves on back. I used to bring a little plastic M&T Bank-distributed megaphone to games, till neighbors told me to shut up. Yeah, right. Wouldn't want any crowd noise ruining your day...

I will say the adoption last season of the Seven Nation Army chant was refreshingly populist.
    You think that's bad, I was at an Orioles game this past year, and I got dirty looks when I made any kind of noise that was above normal chatter with my party. Granted, this was in the middle of the season when we weren't doing as well, and was in the really expensive section (where we look at the field through the cage). But, it's still rediculous to say that about a team sporting event, where you supposedly want one side to win more than the other. I wonder how those people would have felt about the play-off games, where Camden Yards had the loudest recorded decible level ever for a baseball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, there are 71,000 other folks who go to the stadium besides just you.
    Damn! So that's who all those other people are. Thank you so much for letting me know.

====================================================================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    People do want to check fantasy stats or real time scores in the other games, and I know my cell phone is almost unusable for data during a game because the cell towers are getting slammed.
    Whatever floats your boat. I don't care if you and 70,998 others are playing fantasy football or just playing with themselves, it doesn't bother me as long as they are not blocking my view of the field.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

The in stadium wifi would be a very welcome addition. I don't know if any of you have the Baltimore Ravens mobile app on your phone, but when you check into M&T Bank Stadium the app has live video, replays, and other information you don't get in your seat. Unfortunately its a waste when your phone signal is too weak to get it. So I would love to have WiFi capability.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry, but if you're bringing horns, noise makers, etc then yeah, I'm glad they told you to keep it quiet.

Damn things are incredibly annoying.

When I had PSL's, this lady in section 123 had a bird call and blasted that damn thing the entire game. You could hear it on TV broadcasts it was so loud. It drove everyone in our section crazy. Then, thankfully, in 2008, she got told to put it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post

Those are lame compared to other stadiums. And most of the Ravens fans I am around do not need the prompting anyway. What the NFL is talking about is what passes for "fan interaction" in other stadiums.
    Captain Offense

Decent wifi will really enhance the game day experience. Last year there were all kinds of data outages due to the cell towers getting pounded during the games. Kudos to anyone who can completely unplug for a few hours but it isnt always like that for everyone else.

WIFI in stadiums sounds great until you factor in all the bandwidth you would need for so many connections at one time. There is no magical way to offer up good WIFI service to 70,000 people at one time. It's similar to everyone cranking up their Air Conditioning on a 103 degree day and taking down the local power grid in the process. Technology won't allow for thousands of people trying to access a handful of access points at one time.