Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    3,690
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...



    Stupid question here. (I've only been to a couple of games & never paid much attention to the video boards.)

    If your screens are positioned behind the two endzones, & it is now OK to use "video prompts" throughout the play, what's to prevent a team from flashing that "video prompt" VERY BRIGHT & VERY FAST as soon as the opposing offense breaks the huddle in an attempt to distract the QB? Flashing bright lights in the QB's face could be just as disruptive of the play as loud noise.




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    493

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...



    The best way to distract the opposing team... And everyone else...




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Stupid question here. (I've only been to a couple of games & never paid much attention to the video boards.)

    If your screens are positioned behind the two endzones, & it is now OK to use "video prompts" throughout the play, what's to prevent a team from flashing that "video prompt" VERY BRIGHT & VERY FAST as soon as the opposing offense breaks the huddle in an attempt to distract the QB? Flashing bright lights in the QB's face could be just as disruptive of the play as loud noise.
    If I'm not mistaken Cowboy stadium actually does this. Not on the the main screen, but on the LED banner that goes around the entire mid level of the stadium. I remember seeing it and thought it was bullshit.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

    –Eleanor Roosevelt




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,805

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

    The audio prompts being allowed to 20 seconds left on the play clock might slow down some teams' no huddle a bit more since it might be harder to hear the signals called from the line of scrimmage if the sound system is piping "audio prompts" for the first half of the clock time.




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Back in Limeyland
    Posts
    793

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

    Any crowd who needs to be told when to cheer isn't a crowd worthy of their own football team.

    We have an advantage over many as our 'intelligent fan' ratio is higher than, say, Jacksonville, who require a zipline riding mascot to get excited

    Just another example of the NFL trying to substitute genuine passion and spontaneity with a league-approved, controlled gameday experience.

    Maybe Goodell could issue thousands of electronically controlled muzzles for teams to activate on their fans when the home side is on offense.




  6. #21

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

    Do you guys realize that the NFL actually passed a rule that favors the Defense for a change?
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,888

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Wi-fi in stadiums is a dumb investment. I don't go to games to look at a smartphone. There are two huge HDTV screens at either end of the stadium that should provide me everything that I would be interested in while watching the games.

    Rather than invest in Wi-Fi, I'd rather see an auxiliary scoreboard installed to continually show the scores of our division rivals game at all times without being busied up with fantasy player stats. This used to be a standard feature of NFL stadiums.
    In case you haven't noticed, there are 71,000 other folks who go to the stadium besides just you. WiFi at the stadium would be a great idea. People do want to check fantasy stats or real time scores in the other games, and I know my cell phone is almost unusable for data during a game because the cell towers are getting slammed.




  8. #23

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, there are 71,000 other folks who go to the stadium besides just you. WiFi at the stadium would be a great idea. People do want to check fantasy stats or real time scores in the other games, and I know my cell phone is almost unusable for data during a game because the cell towers are getting slammed.
    If you're looking down all the time for your fantasy stats, not only will you be fucking your mind up when it comes to analyzing real football but you'll also miss the big screen messages telling you when to cheer.
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    795

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

    Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    Any crowd who needs to be told when to cheer isn't a crowd worthy of their own football team.

    We have an advantage over many as our 'intelligent fan' ratio is higher than, say, Jacksonville, who require a zipline riding mascot to get excited
    I always thought the zip line mascot thing was cool.




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ellicott City
    Posts
    306

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Wi-fi in stadiums is a dumb investment. I don't go to games to look at a smartphone. There are two huge HDTV screens at either end of the stadium that should provide me everything that I would be interested in while watching the games.
    "Should" is the key word in your sentence- they don't.

    I sincerely beg to differ on the wifi- and I'll guarantee you that *thousands* of other fans do as well- The VZ and ATT signals just can't handle all of the traffic on game days from the same location- so if it alleviates any of this it would be a BIG improvement. I don't even play fantasy football- but just getting up to the minute scores is impossible on our video boards- in case you've ever compared the scores to live scores on ESPN or SI apps- the scores in the stadium are almost ALWAYS lagging behind by at least 30 minutes- and sometimes they are up to a quarter behind, or just plain WRONG on occasions (one game last season they must have been putting up scores from the wrong week!- The in stadium scoreboard is HORRIBLE.

    As for the crowd noise prompts- that's just Bush league... Just like Atlanta- that stadium should be so loud on it's own, but they have to flash signs constantly- and they're still not nearly as loud as they should be considering they're indoors. I was not impressed on that Thursday night game a few years back. It's just lame...




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    448

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Do you guys realize that the NFL actually passed a rule that favors the Defense for a change?
    But unfortunately, it only favors the home team. Like the NFL needs more of a home field advantage. And again, we're a fanbase that actually knows what to do without this nonsense, while other fanbases will benefit from it. If they wanted to pass a rule to benefit defenses, ease up on all of the nonsense penalties.

    Honestly, one rule that I would like to see that I think would be pretty reasonable would be for automatic first down penalties that would have otherwise resulted in a 4th down or turnover on downs to revert to 2nd down instead of 1st down. It make make the penalty a bit more reasonable, and put the games a bit more back into the player's hands.




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,537
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch, but I am pretty certain the league blocks GSM signals.

    When my wife and I first met, she had Verizon and I had AT&T. When we went to games, she always had data and a signal whereas I couldn't even send a text sometimes. We are now both on AT&T and when we went back for the Colts playoff game, neither of us could get a signal. A dude sitting behind us had Verizon and had no issues.

    Verizon is the official carrier of the league so I would not be surprised that the league employes an inverse wave generator much like concert promoters use to block data (i.e. pics and video).
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,888

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch, but I am pretty certain the league blocks GSM signals.

    When my wife and I first met, she had Verizon and I had AT&T. When we went to games, she always had data and a signal whereas I couldn't even send a text sometimes. We are now both on AT&T and when we went back for the Colts playoff game, neither of us could get a signal. A dude sitting behind us had Verizon and had no issues.

    Verizon is the official carrier of the league so I would not be surprised that the league employes an inverse wave generator much like concert promoters use to block data (i.e. pics and video).
    I'm on AT&T too. I can get a text to go through sometimes at the game but the signal is always extremely weak. Forget about any kind of data use. Since I got the iPhone 5 with LTE it's slightly better. I always just attributed it to AT&T's crappier network.




  14. #29

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    Frankly, I like home-grown excitement, not team-generated crap. I can not stand Camden Yards' video prompting and do not participate because of it. Yes, there are those at the stadium that do not get ramped up, but that just means I have to yell louder to compensate.

    Just another example that the sheep-le need to be lead.
    What about: (beat) (beat) DE - fense? or "Move those chains..." they are cued by PA, if not electronic signage?

    I agree that scripting crowd noise (like they did @ Fed-Ex this year) is lame, but let's not dislocate shoulders patting selves on back. I used to bring a little plastic M&T Bank-distributed megaphone to games, till neighbors told me to shut up. Yeah, right. Wouldn't want any crowd noise ruining your day...

    I will say the adoption last season of the Seven Nation Army chant was refreshingly populist.




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    448

    Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    What about: (beat) (beat) DE - fense? or "Move those chains..." they are cued by PA, if not electronic signage?

    I agree that scripting crowd noise (like they did @ Fed-Ex this year) is lame, but let's not dislocate shoulders patting selves on back. I used to bring a little plastic M&T Bank-distributed megaphone to games, till neighbors told me to shut up. Yeah, right. Wouldn't want any crowd noise ruining your day...

    I will say the adoption last season of the Seven Nation Army chant was refreshingly populist.
    You think that's bad, I was at an Orioles game this past year, and I got dirty looks when I made any kind of noise that was above normal chatter with my party. Granted, this was in the middle of the season when we weren't doing as well, and was in the really expensive section (where we look at the field through the cage). But, it's still rediculous to say that about a team sporting event, where you supposedly want one side to win more than the other. I wonder how those people would have felt about the play-off games, where Camden Yards had the loudest recorded decible level ever for a baseball game.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland