Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: WR (Hopkins) or TE (Ertz) ---- Who helps our Offense more ?

With the additions the Ravens have made to the defense, I could see Ozzie going for a WR or a S with that first round pick. I think the chances have increased that the Ravens will trade up in at least the second round, and maybe the first round as well. The Ravens need impact players with their first two picks.

I don't know anything about these two players since I don't follow college football outside of the State of Maryland. However, having or senior WR corps decimated but still deep at TE, logically it should be a WR. Moreover, our WR bench is weak, so a good rookie may have a chance to get onto the field to contribute.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Hopkins, because he can play outside WR where we are lacking a true starter opposite Torrey; while Ertz is a receiving TE and we already have one of those.

Not to say Hopkins is the best choice for that position (it might be D Rogers, Q Patton, or K. Allen or R. Woods for example) but out of Hopkins and Ertz, the answer is Hopkins.

A #2 WR would have more impact on this offense than a #2 TE, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    A #2 WR would have more impact on this offense than a #2 TE, IMO.

I was thinking more of a starting Both Pitta and Ertz --- NE Style

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    Is that your take or scouts?
    Looking at most mock drafts I'd say both. There are 2 good TE prospects and you don't often see them going in the 1st round. Hopkins on the other hand is consistently in the bottom half of round 1.

In my personal opinion neither TE is complete enough to be a 1st round pick. They can't block. I realize that blocking isn't important for a lot of teams but Ozzie being a Hall of Fame TE seems to value blocking. He'll take these kind of guys, like he took Dickson, but I don't think he'll take them in round 1.

I also happen to think that Hopkins would be a good fit in our offense. He's got nice size, solid hands and a reputation for getting separation. What he lacks is great speed but between Torrey and Jacoby that's okay. Here is what Greg Cosell said about him. Sounds like a good fit for the Raven to me.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...2673--nfl.html

On Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins: "To me, what stood out -- I think he has excellent hands. He has a great ability to snatch the ball away from his body, and great body control. He's a very competitive guy with the ball in the air. I think he's a little straight-line in his movement, but very strong hands, and deceptive speed. I wouldn't call him a burner, but he has deceptive speed. Guys like this -- he'll obviously play in the league, and he might be very good, but he's not what I would call a smooth, fluid guy."

Aren't they fairly similar though? Gronk and Hernandez in reality play different positions, fulfill different roles. And I say that while not being opposed to Ertz if the Ravens think he is BPA.

Can't see that happening, at least not as the base set. That formation either leaves Leach off the field or one WR, which compresses the offense way too much. Neither one of Ertz or Pitta provides as much of a down-field threat as Gronkowski or Hernandez.

Look at last year's Ravens offense:

The top two WRs had 114 receptions and 222 targets.
    The top two TEs had 82 receptions and 126 targets.

WR is the biggest need right now if no one already on the roster doesn't have a break out year. But I'd take a solid TE over another WR that never pans out.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

I like Dennis right where he is. So of the two I guess i would lean Hopkins. BUT as most notably the Pats have shown us there is much value in the 2 TE set. I don't know much at all about Ertz but if he's even close to a Pitta level talent you have to consider him. (As I have to confess I am losing confidence in Dickson with each passing year) Then grab the best rated available WR in the middle rounds.

I'd take Hopkins by a hair. I wouldn't take either player at 32 though. Both would be great targets in term of trade up options in the 2nd round.

Hopkins > Ertz; until the RZ.
    Overall, Hopkins is better.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver