Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: WR (Hopkins) or TE (Ertz) ---- Who helps our Offense more ?

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Is there any chance Eifert falls to us?
    Yeah, I'd say there is a decent chance.

Blog Entries

There are only a few guys I'd take at 32 in this draft that have an outside shot at falling to 32.

Kenny Vaccorro is one of them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Hopkins has really grown on me.

I doubt he ever becomes a #1WR, but he runs good routes and looks like he knows how to set up DB's while running his routes, he has outstanding hands and has solid speed...he reminds me of a Reggie Wayne type of guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I actually think he's more like a smaller but faster version of AnQuan Boldin. If anyone compares to Reggie Wayne, its Quinton Patton IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I actually think he's more like a smaller but faster version of AnQuan Boldin. If anyone compares to Reggie Wayne, its Quinton Patton IMO.
    I don't see Boldin.

Boldin's game is predicated on being big and physical.

That's not what Hopkins is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Is there any chance Eifert falls to us?
    I doubt it.
    SEA, SF and ATL are locked in an arms race.
    Eifert won't get past ATL despite their other needs (OL and DL).
    We'd have to go get him IMO.

So I'm not sure I'd cough up our natural 2nd to move up for Eifert at the #20 spot, but trading with GB at the #26 spot would only cost us our 3rd rounder.

#20 CHI - OL is priority, but could see Eifert as clear BPA
    #21 CIN - Ozzie wouldn't waste his breath here
    #22 STL - Could be a partner. We'd be giving up our 2nd and swapping 3rds (we'd get 3(78), they'd get 3(94)). Think I got that right...
    #23 MIN - Could be a partner, but might be locked on a WR, and sure as hell wouldn't want to see GB move up to #24 and take that WR just in front of MIN's #25
    #24 IND - Went TE in 2012, won't take Eifert unless pure BPA philosophy
    #25 MIN - Good chance to partner
    #26 GB - Possible partner
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I wouldn't move up for Eifert at all. There's just too many potential starters/value picks that might be available in the 3rd, and the margin between Eifert and guys like Travis Kelce, Gavin Escobar, and Vance McDonald is just not big enough to justify a move, IMO. I like Eifert a lot and feel he's the most complete TE in the class, but he's probably close to maxed out as a prospect, while the 3 guys I mentioned all have a lot of upside to work with. Playing behind/splitting time with Pitta and Dickson means we don't really need an all-around TE to emerge until year 2 in any event.

If Eifert is on the board at 32 he's a "value BPA" candidate, but I wouldn't move up. Rather take Allen, Elam, Cyprien, Hopkins, etc. and see what TEs were around in rounds 2 or 3... I suspect given his bad 40 Escobar could drop into the 3rd and he's a great value there. I could easily see a draft that's all offense in the first 3; say Hopkins in the 1st/early 2nd if we trade back, possibly trade up in the 2nd for Armstead, and Escobar in the 3rd... given the depth at S/ILB we could find developmental guys at those positions in the 4th and beyond.

Blog Entries

I don't see either TE going before the top of the 2nd round. A couple of years ago we saw some pretty hyped TE prospects like Gresham, Pettigrew and Keller go in the second half of round 1. None of them has done anything to stand out from Tight Ends taken later in the draft. No TE has been taken in the 1st round the past 2 years. I see that trend continuing this year since there isn't a true stud prospect. Both of these E guys will be there at 32 and I doubt we take either of them.

Would any of you guys take Allen over Hopkins? And would we be able to trade back into the top of second round and nab one of these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by conviction View Post
    Would any of you guys take Allen over Hopkins? And would we be able to trade back into the top of second round and nab one of these guys?
    I have the two nestled with several others, so it would not be a one-to-one choice for me. However, I think Allen > Hopkins only b/c of upside and physical prowess. I think both can have better than average careers in the right situation. Allen more RZ, deep middle and YAC based action. Hopkins more FDs and outside the numbers stuff.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I wouldn't move up for Eifert at all. There's just too many potential starters/value picks that might be available in the 3rd, and the margin between Eifert and guys like Travis Kelce, Gavin Escobar, and Vance McDonald is just not big enough to justify a move, IMO. I like Eifert a lot and feel he's the most complete TE in the class, but he's probably close to maxed out as a prospect, while the 3 guys I mentioned all have a lot of upside to work with. Playing behind/splitting time with Pitta and Dickson means we don't really need an all-around TE to emerge until year 2 in any event.

If Eifert is on the board at 32 he's a "value BPA" candidate, but I wouldn't move up. Rather take Allen, Elam, Cyprien, Hopkins, etc. and see what TEs were around in rounds 2 or 3... I suspect given his bad 40 Escobar could drop into the 3rd and he's a great value there. I could easily see a draft that's all offense in the first 3; say Hopkins in the 1st/early 2nd if we trade back, possibly trade up in the 2nd for Armstead, and Escobar in the 3rd... given the depth at S/ILB we could find developmental guys at those positions in the 4th and beyond.
    I agree.

And not just the true TE's, but there are a couple H-Back guys that could really help...Jordan Reed, Michael Rivera, Kyle Juszczyk, Chris Gragg and even a late option like a Matt Furstenberg.

There are a lot of options there.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I have the two nestled with several others, so it would not be a one-to-one choice for me. However, I think Allen > Hopkins only b/c of upside and physical prowess. I think both can have better than average careers in the right situation. Allen more RZ, deep middle and YAC based action. Hopkins more FDs and outside the numbers stuff.
    I think Allen would be a more ideal replacement for Boldin. It sounds like Hopkins has better abilities on the outside but I think if Allen can be productive outside on 2 wr sets and we can put him in the slot on 3 wr sets I think he makes more sense for the Ravens with their current personnel as we are more passing and Jacoby and Torrey already can service the roles of playing outside and stretching the field

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't see either TE going before the top of the 2nd round. A couple of years ago we saw some pretty hyped TE prospects like Gresham, Pettigrew and Keller go in the second half of round 1. None of them has done anything to stand out from Tight Ends taken later in the draft. No TE has been taken in the 1st round the past 2 years. I see that trend continuing this year since there isn't a true stud prospect. Both of these E guys will be there at 32 and I doubt we take either of them.
    I could see that. I think Eifert would help the Ravens more than Ertz. Ertz does not play nearly as fast. Eifert looks like a large WR. Would be a good replacement for Boldin. I would really prefer a wr but they are much harder to project.