Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: So No LB in first round now that Roland is here?

Just looking at the trade-up option...even with our DT, OLB, FS and ILB needs being pretty well filled in FA, I don't see it happening.

Moving from #32 to #20 would cost us our natural 2nd, IIRC on the value chart. Now pre-Draft, I see no reason to make this move since Austin, the top 3 LTs, Star and Richardson will be long gone. Beside them, Allen is not THAT good, nor is Hopkins or anyone else in this Draft still likely on the board at #20. However, if for some crazy reason, someone begins to fall, we could conceivably pick them up at #20 and not devastate the rest of our draft at all.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    So folks, if you had a choice at 32 of Minter, Te'o, Hopkins, Hunter, Allen, Watson, Pugh, Ertz, Woods, Jesse Williams, Cyprien, and Elam...who would you choose? Would you rather trade back? Who would you not choose?
    Take Cyprien or trade back

Blog Entries

That's what I want - Cyprien or trade down as posted above.

No way Oz trades up unless it's for Austin but he doesn't have anough ammo for that.
    He would require an extra #2 which Ozzie doesn't have. He has a bunch of lower
    comp picks but no extra #1s or #2s to land Austin which is what he would take.

So for me it's Cyprien in the first or trading down for those names posted above.

Whomever it is, Ozzie is gonna make a killing in this draft with so many needs being signed already.

What an off-season after gutting all those guys and upsetting the entire city.

Dumveril
    Huff
    McClain
    Canty
    Spears

Welcome to football 101 GMs.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    . I think the best option is to grab Terron Armstead or Menelik Watson in the 2nd round (preferably Armstead) if they last that long. I doubt either of them make it to our natural 2nd so it would require wheeling and dealing... ideally, trading back out of the 1st and picking up some more ammo to move.

I think my dream draft right now is probably Elam, Armstead, Da'Rick Rogers, and Brian Schwenke in the first 4 rounds. They could easily pick up an athletic ILB to groom in the 5th or later like Keith Pough (who they've had in for several visits), Steve Beauharnais, or Jonathan Stewart.
    I am pretty much right in line with you. I would I am little more flexible. I would be equally happy in the 1st 4 rounds with Cyprien/Elam/Reid Watson/Armstead, Rogers and Jones/Holmes/Schwenke. You see I am pretty easy to please

Minter will not drop to 32..... He'd be a reach at 32

Blog Entries

Kevin Minter isn't going to get drafted in the first round. Quote this, do whatever you want, he just isn't that good of a ILB at this point. He is pretty much your typical 2nd round prospect, good but not spectacular, that's not who you take in round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Kevin Minter isn't going to get drafted in the first round. Quote this, do whatever you want, he just isn't that good of a ILB at this point. He is pretty much your typical 2nd round prospect, good but not spectacular, that's not who you take in round 1.

Dig it. He'll be a good player, but no way our FO sees FRV in him.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Dig it. He'll be a good player, but no way our FO sees FRV in him.
    Yeah, I mean I'd be happy with him at 62, but no chance do we take him at 32 or even with the pick we'll likely get when we trade down.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Minter is very much the same kind of player that Rolando McClain is. Unless he's there at the bottom of Round 2 I can't see him being a Raven.

I still think that Ozzie looks for one of the more athletic inside linebackers like Kiko Alonso or AJ Klein both of which will be available later int he draft.
    Agreed. Since there are really no "stand out" LB's in this year's draft, I can't see us taking a LB in round 1. This is obviously unless someone like Ogletree falls to 32. IMO, I can see us taking a SS, WR, or LT that drops to us. Look for Hopkins, Watson, or Elam.

Kevin Reddick is a guy that we could take in the later rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    It really depends on how the draft plays out, but I don't really see them taking guys like Te'o, Minter or Ogletree. To me they are all borderline first round picks. I'd be happy if they got someone like Cyprien in the first or traded back to get Arthur Brown. Arthur Brown would be really nice playing next to McClain. Brown has the speed and quickness to cover, but he's not really the north/south thumper that McClain is. I think they could both complement each other well.
    +1. If we could trade back into the 2nd and get Brown/Reid or Brown/Hopkins I would be ecstatic.

Blog Entries

I don't think Minter is close to the player McClain was coming OUT of college, but he is a good prospect, just not first round talent.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    So folks, if you had a choice at 32 of Minter, Te'o, Hopkins, Hunter, Allen, Watson, Pugh, Ertz, Woods, Jesse Williams, Cyprien, and Elam...who would you choose? Would you rather trade back? Who would you not choose?
    Given those choices, my preference would be to grab one of the WRs with the first pick, whether that means trading back to the early 2nd round or not. Frankly, I like DeAndre Hopkins and Robert Woods better than the other WR options at that place in the draft. If the Ravens ended up with one from the group of Hopkins, Woods, Rogers, Patton, Wheaton I would consider that a draft pick well spent.

As for the safeties, I know the popular choice falls between Matt Elam and Jonathan Cyprien, but I think that the Ravens might do just as well by using a later pick (wherever that is) to grab Phillip Thomas (Fresno State). Yeah, I know he played free safety as opposed to a strong safety, but he's pretty damn good and flying under the fans' radar right now.

As for the offensive line, since the big 3LTs are probably not within reach, I would love it if the Ravens took Barrett Jones (Alabama). That would give them a little bit of flexibility in any later pick they would make since he could play all over the place in a pinch.