Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: You think that we're being gutted?

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    But I was saying before, most 3rd round picks don't pan out, hell about half of the first round picks don't pan out. .
    We've had this debate on here numerous times and I've supplied the data to prove this is not true over and over again. I don't feel like digging it up again, but the "most ____ round picks don't pan out" argument is horrifically flawed until you reach the 6th and 7th round. Over 40% of 5th rounders start at least 35 games in in their NFL careers. Without looking, I think it's something like 70-75% of 3rd rounders start at least 35 games in their NFL career.

To say that "most" 3rd rounders don't pan out is just nonsense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    I love Patriot on Steeler Crime. My understanding is the Steelers are about $2M under the cap. If they match the offer they may have to cut somebody else to sign rookies. If they don't match, then the Patriots lose a 3rd round draft pick in a draft where I think they only have 4 picks anyway. They gave up picks this year to for Heynesworth and Ocho Cinco.

If I am the Steelers I take the draft pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'd take the 3rd too and move on. They have cap problems as it is...
    I agree, but it really isn't that simple. As of right now they've got 1 guy on their roster who has any legitimate playing time in the past couple of years. Sure, Plax is on the team and a vet receiver with a lot of experience, but he's slow and basically didn't play at all last year. Losing Sanders means they have to start all over again at WR because Antonio Brown is good, but he isn't a #1 guy. Neither was Sanders, but at least with Sanders and Brown you had two guys who have experience with Roethlisberger, with Haley, and were decent options.

This is what happens to teams who try to hang onto the past. This is exactly what John Harbaugh was talking about when he said the one thing you can't do is try to keep everyone together. It just doesn't work.

They still have issues on the OL. They still have issues at RB. They've got issues at TE since Heath Miller was injured late in the year (and he's not exactly young). They've got issues on the DL, they've got issues at LB, and in their secondary.

I think the Steelers will still be competitive, but I could also very easily see them losing 8 - 10 games next year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Shitsburgh is in a rebuilding, rather those idiots want to admit it or not. Keeping and Restructuring is catching up to them. Seriously, they need help all over the place. They will most likely call Troy for a extension(wrong move again) and match Sanders. I don't care either way, I'm just enjoying the crying this week here. Take the pick and get a RB, they are going to draft a WR anyway. As long as its not Austin. They will still be tough to play, but boy I would love for them to lose about 8 -10 games. Purple Pride. Sqeelers Sucks

Blog Entries

I think they have to resign him, 3rd round picks make it a 3rd of the time on average, much less a later pick in that round. The draft is a total crapshoot.

Charlie Casserly said that about 30% of 3rd round picks pan out, with the Steelers a little higher at about 40 %.
    So with them losing Wallace, I would think they want to match.

I've talked to a few Steelers fans and every one of them said "N.E. can have this bum" or something resembling that. Injuries & drops. As one of them said to me, Ed Dickson is more popular in Bmore than Sanders is in Pgh!

If their fans were the GM, they'd let NE have him & take the pick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillickFan View Post
    I've talked to a few Steelers fans and every one of them said "N.E. can have this bum" or something resembling that. Injuries & drops. As one of them said to me, Ed Dickson is more popular in Bmore than Sanders is in Pgh!

If their fans were the GM, they'd let NE have him & take the pick.
    that's why I hope they match it ;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Honestly if the Pats get Sanders, I think it could work out to the benefit of both teams...
    The Pats are in complete win now mode. They've already traded away multiple picks from this draft trying to squeeze another Super Bowl out of Brady. Brady will be 36 this season. 3rd round picks can take time to develop, if they develop at all. Brady would be 39 in the 3rd season of any rookie drafted this year. I don't think he'll be a top quarterback anymore at 39, so by then the window is closed/closing. The production Sanders can give them now is more valuable.

OP - now I get it. "You think WE'RE being gutted?"

NE is certainly bound and determined to add a burner (e.g Mike Jenkins, Donald Jones, maybe Sanders, etc.), perhaps as you say, while Brady can still get the ball downfield. Amendola and Edelman can address the [Caucasian] posession-Smurf WR chair formerly belonging to Welker.

Blog Entries

Now according to LaConfora, Big Ben is demanding the Steelers match the offer, should be interesting to see what happens and the fallout of the decision either way.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    We've had this debate on here numerous times and I've supplied the data to prove this is not true over and over again. I don't feel like digging it up again, but the "most ____ round picks don't pan out" argument is horrifically flawed until you reach the 6th and 7th round. Over 40% of 5th rounders start at least 35 games in in their NFL careers. Without looking, I think it's something like 70-75% of 3rd rounders start at least 35 games in their NFL career.

To say that "most" 3rd rounders don't pan out is just nonsense.
    I'm big on draft picks, but this just isn't true. From 1994 to 2003, only 115 of 338 3rd rounders started 35+ games. Only 59 of 345 5th rounders started 35+ games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Now according to LaConfora, Big Ben is demanding the Steelers match the offer, should be interesting to see what happens and the fallout of the decision either way.
    Probably nothing. It'd be like Joe demanding we don't trade Boldin. We needed to for other reasons, he moves on and keeps playing.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    I'm sure he probably demanded that they keep Arians around too.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt