Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: You think that we're being gutted?

Is Sanders really a great receiver? I taunted a Steeler fan with this, but then immediately hoped they match it, simply because I think a 3rd round pick >>>> Sanders for them. It hurts them THIS year, but is better long term.

From what I understand, they have enough room to match and make moves to stay okay, so it's really a question of Sanders vs 3rd round pick in 2013.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Is Sanders really a great receiver? I taunted a Steeler fan with this, but then immediately hoped they match it, simply because I think a 3rd round pick >>>> Sanders for them. It hurts them THIS year, but is better long term.

From what I understand, they have enough room to match and make moves to stay okay, so it's really a question of Sanders vs 3rd round pick in 2013.
    I agree.

I don't think Sanders is worth a third round pick.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmore finest View Post
    Good insight fellas, but either way, I'm laughing my ass off of this move. It's a sneaky move for sure, and that's what the sqeelers get. Sqeelers suck
    When is the end of RFA? I thought a team had 7 days to match, is RFA ending before 7 days? If that's the case...the true Patriot way would've been to sign Sanders one day ahead of the end of RFA and give the Steelers little to no time to move stuff around.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I agree.

I don't think Sanders is worth a third round pick.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    They used a 3rd to draft him originally and he's been a little injury prone and will want to be paid $$$ soon. I'd take the pick and let him walk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by bmore finest View Post
    Good insight fellas, but either way, I'm laughing my ass off of this move. It's a sneaky move for sure, and that's what the sqeelers get. Sqeelers suck
    I think they messed up when they offered him the ROD tender vs. the 2nd round tender. They wouldn't be in this predicament if they had...

I know right, that's what they get for thinking they are made of gold. And I think all Rfa has til the 18th or something to sign tenders. I'm still waiting for pitta and Dickson to sign.

Blog Entries

Pittsburgh brought this on themselves. The Steelers and Ravens were, essentially, in a 1A and 1B situation. The one player that made Pittsburgh 1A was Ben Roethlisberger. However, once the Ravens drafted Joe Flacco and you saw how he could play in the clutch, you knew it was only a matter of time before the roles reversed. Baltimore continued to draft well, while Pittsburgh A.) Tried to hold onto too many of the old gang, and B.) hit a rut in their drafting.

About a gazillion restructures later, they are looking up at Baltimore AND Cincinnati.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Pittsburgh brought this on themselves. The Steelers and Ravens were, essentially, in a 1A and 1B situation. The one player that made Pittsburgh 1A was Ben Roethlisberger. However, once the Ravens drafted Joe Flacco and you saw how he could play in the clutch, you knew it was only a matter of time before the roles reversed. Baltimore continued to draft well, while Pittsburgh A.) Tried to hold onto too many of the old gang, and B.) hit a rut in their drafting.

About a gazillion restructures later, they are looking up at Baltimore AND Cincinnati.
    Plus Big Ben is hurt all of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

If I were Kevin Colbert I'd take the 3rd round pick in an instant, and hope it turns into the second coming of Mike Wallace (rather than the second coming of Limas Sweed).

Quote Originally Posted by inexplicable View Post
    If I were Kevin Colbert I'd take the 3rd round pick in an instant, and hope it turns into the second coming of Mike Wallace (rather than the second coming of Limas Sweed).
    But I was saying before, most 3rd round picks don't pan out, hell about half of the first round picks don't pan out. You can't just assume that all of your draft picks will just be plugged in and be your championship caliber team of the future. When you find a player that has proven themselves to be an NFL caliber player, that is more valuable than a possibility. However, it's the financial aspect that potentially tilts the balance towards draft picks.

Point being "Don't worry, Mike Wallace was a 3rd rounder, this is no big deal" is a rediculous argument. Not to say that the Steelers have no choice but to retain Sanders, because of finances, but chances are that the new player will not surpass his production and potential.

Honestly if the Pats get Sanders, I think it could work out to the benefit of both teams.

The Steelers have cap issues. Draft picks provide an opportunity for cheap production as they re-tool their roster a bit. It's obviuosly a short term downgrade, but I don't believe they are built to contend for a Super Bowl this year. It makes sense to take the pick and lose Sanders.

The Pats are in complete win now mode. They've already traded away multiple picks from this draft trying to squeeze another Super Bowl out of Brady. Brady will be 36 this season. 3rd round picks can take time to develop, if they develop at all. Brady would be 39 in the 3rd season of any rookie drafted this year. I don't think he'll be a top quarterback anymore at 39, so by then the window is closed/closing. The production Sanders can give them now is more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Okay, this is highly confusing.

#1- what type of stupid offer is a $2.5/1year RFA offer sheet?

#2- from the Steelers standpoint, this is a nobrainer. They aren't having to match a 5year-$25m contract. They are having to match a 1 year/2.5 contract. I'm guessing that Sanders was given a Round of Draft tender (hence the 3rd round pick), so matching the Patriots offer hurts their cap $1.2 million more. Not sure where the $700k estimate came from. The ROD tender (given to Dickson this year) is $1.3 approx., so this chews up $1.2 more in cap space.

#3- From the Patriots standpoint, this is headshakingly stupid....or brilliant. If you are going to potentially forfeit your 3rd rounder in order to get a player, why on earth would you do it just to offer someone a one year contract. The general upside of signing a RFA to an offer sheet is that you replace a potentially unknown commodity draft pick for four years (their rookie contract) with a more stable, proven veteran for at least four years.

#4- Perhaps this is a brilliant move by the Patriots after all. They knew that the Steelers would ABSOLUTELY 100% match such a small RFA offer to Sanders, given his talent and value at a very thin position. So, with little risk to actually truly forfeiting that 3rd round pick, they just forced the Steelers into using up another $1.2m in very limited cap space. If there was an organization to try something sneaky like this, it's definitely the Pats. The irony is that the Steelers made a mistake IMO by not giving Sanders a 2nd round tender to begin with, which opened the door for this happening in the first place. They were trying to be cheap and save a little money, but in the end they are going to have to pay more to Sanders ($2.5m) than they would have ($2.03) had they just slapped the 2nd round tender on him in the first place.

5) Did Dickson sign his tender yet? If not, I would encourage the NE front office to try this same move with him. :)
    I do not think its as much a given the Steelers should match the offer as you do.

Reality is even if they match the offer he becomes a UFA next season. Right now the Steelers would be hard pressed to find a way to keep him if he hits the open market.

If the Steelers approach Sanders agent about what terms they would be looking for in a long term deal and they are terms that the Steelers feel they will be unable to meet then the only smart move is to let him go and take the pick. A 3rd is nothing to sneeze at and much better than the nothing they could get if they match and lose him this offseason. Sanders is a decent receiver but not one that is elite IMO and have to keep no matter what.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis