Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 333435

Re: According to one report Rolando McClain is heading to Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You need to settle down ...

... bud.
    It's ok HR...next time, he'll bring some more unique and brilliant information...like Ozzie Newsome is our GM!

lol...had to get that one in there.

Seriously though...you can probably lock this thread as I think most of us have gotten our views out there and it's deteriorating because some people don't want to respect others views.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm sure one of the kings of Kyle Boller bashing has never disagreed with a move that Ozzie has made....

Funny, this board was full of doom and gloom posts during the season about how we wouldn't win 9 or 10 games and how we could never win multiple games on the road to get to the Super Bowl, and how it was time to look for a new QB...among other nonsense. A lot of those same people who were basically giving up on the season and players in those threads are in here trying to make this out to be some BS about not trusting Ozzie because I disagree with one freaking move in the offseason.

Ironic.
    Hi RiW,, I've disagreed with any number of moves over the years (including this offseason) most of the time like all fans I've been proven wrong. If McClain were signed for more money I could see an argument but considering the amount the Ravens would be on the hook for even if things didn't turn out well I find it humorous that a fan would complain.

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    Hi RiW,, I've disagreed with any number of moves over the years (including this offseason) most of the time like all fans I've been proven wrong. If McClain were signed for more money I could see an argument but considering the amount the Ravens would be on the hook for even if things didn't turn out well I find it humorous that a fan would complain.
    I get the financial stuff.

I just was and am more concerned with more than just saying we can cut him. Sure, if he does something dumb in camp, it's easy. But if he does something dumb during the season...not so easy. I mean if he makes the team and starts, that doesn't mean that he can't go off the deep end during the season. Sure you can cut him...but it will cause ripple affects during the season. They surely could be overcome, but IMHO, I just don't feel comfortable with some of the things that can go wrong after camp. And I honestly don't think the player...his on the field play is worth it. I can and will take chances on someone I think would be a good enough player to outweigh the risks, but I don't know if that is the case here...if he is a Jameel McClain level talent, or even slightly above, I don't know that that is a good enough player for me to be ok with the potential mess that can occur at any point.

That is all.

As for the disagreements...sure, I'm not debating that I've been wrong. That doesn't mean that I should just always sign off on things no matter what. Nor should you or anyone else if you really don't like it. There was a huge thread on Jacoby Jones on this board last year. A lot of posters didn't like it and voiced it. I happened to be of the "give him a chance" opinion. That doesn't mean that I think that those that were opposed thought that Ozzie was stupid for signing him.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Fair enough RiW, you make a good case why you don't care for the move. I still believe Ozzie did his due dilligence with this move and feel good about it because of the Bama connection. Obviously, that doesn't mean that a knucklehead won't continue to do the same. I'm onboard with the sentiment that this guy is smart enough to know he has to rebuild his value and will be on his best behavior.

I apologize for making it seem like I was singleing you out spoiled as someone might believe since my post was right after yours it might seem that way. I was really speaking about the fan base at large.

I've been reading your takes long enough to understand your have a good amount of knowledge and convey it well. Sorry for any disagreement.

Take care!