Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2627282930 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: According to one report Rolando McClain is heading to Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    interesting if you go back to the first pages of this thread when the question was 'would you want him'. A whole lot of HELL NO. Now all of the sudden if you're not 100% sold on the deal then you must be an idiot. that's how it works huh?
    That's just the way it goes on this board. Anyone who disagrees with the Ravens gets jumped on, and conversely, any move that the Ravens make is sound judgement. FWIW, I always supported the idea of the Ravens kicking the tires on McClain if he got cut and cleared waivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    That's just the way it goes on this board. Anyone who disagrees with the Ravens gets jumped on, and conversely, any move that the Ravens make is sound judgement.
    More like "a few people who don't get positive reinforcement all the time walk away butt-hurt".
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

interesting if you go back to the first pages of this thread when the question was 'would you want him'. A whole lot of HELL NO. Now all of the sudden if you're not 100% sold on the deal then you must be an idiot. that's how it works huh?
    Yeah. That's exactly how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    One thing, people need to stop comparing this second chance to players like Ray Lewis and Talib.

That shit is annoying the hell out of me.

Those guys were proven pro bowl NFL talents.

This guy is a turd.

And I don't care if he's 23. He's going to be 24 this year. How many people are really different from 23 to 24? He isn't 35 or 45 looking back at his early/mid 20's. he's practically the same person and less than 6 months from quitting on his team.

If he was a proven pro bowl level talent on the field, I would be much more ok with this.

I'm going to call Tony out on that silly article this morning about this wand the whole "second chance" crap. To the regular person, if you or I were his age, didn't show ourselves to be good at the job we were hired for, got in significant legal trouble, and basically mentally checked out in regards to doing our job while still taking a pay check, we should expect to have a hard time getting another job as our professional history would be filled with unprofessionalism and unreliability.

No, that wouldn't stop us from eventually getting another job with someone at some point, but it's ridiculous to try and use the "second chance" excuse here. He was going to get a second chance somewhere, don't act like if we didn't do it, he'd be out of the league.

There are consequences for his actions in Oakland. Having people say I want no part of him on my team is part of the consequences

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

His off field issues is definitely a big concern and valid reason to not like this signing. But as the article previously posted shows, he is saying the right things and doing some of the right things to stay away from the off field issues. The fact of getting married and taking care of two young children is hopefully going to ground him. Also moving away and staying away from the bad influences he grew up with should also hopefully help. From that article, I like that he bought his million dollar home in cash. Means he didn't completely blow his high draft money and trying to be smart with his future and money. Outside of the article, the fact he took less money to go to a strong winning organization is also a good sign he wants to prove himself and he believes he will prove himself off the field. No guarantees he still doesn't do something stupid or horrible off the field, but he seems to at least have taken the steps in his words and some of his actions, you want for a guy to mature and move forward.

As for on the field, he has not come close to living up to his high draft pick status. But now that he signed for only 700k, who cares about that. Even if he plays as good as he did in Oakland, the 700k is a great price for a run stuffer to rotate with other ILBs. We are paying a lot more for the other McClain who is a run stuffer that you rotate at ILB. He also played in a 4-3 scheme that obviously did not suit him. Maybe in a 3-4 that is similar to the 3-4 used at Alabama, he can start to shine and be utilized that better takes advantage of his skills. Playing with better players will also help him as well. Pre-draft reportsand some other reports say he is extremely football intelligent and was a leader on that Alabama defense, so that can help a lot when you go to an organization with proven coaching at LB and defense.

I didn't comment before he was signed since in my mind it didn't seem likely. Now that's he is signed for .7m, I really don't see how this can possibility be a disaster. At the worst he gets cut before the season and we lose little. I think it's much more likely he plays an important on the defense for a ridiculously cheap price.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Pro Football Focus gave McClain positive grades against the run in each of his three NFL seasons. And for comparison sake, his plus-9.8 rating in that area in 2012 was better than its grades for Ray Lewis, Dannell Ellerbe and Jameel McClain, both individually and combined. He missed just three tackles. And PFF also says Rolando McClain made a tackle resulting in a defensive stop on 11.4 percent of running plays last season, which was eighth best among inside linebackers who played at least 25 percent of the their team’s defensive stats.
    He can play football. The Ravens don't and won't suffer any malcontents and lazy players for long.

I think you're onto something here.

If Cincy had just signed McClain instead of the Ravens -- for the same cheap contract -- the majority of posters here would be making fun of the move and saying things like: "Stupid Bungles" and "Marvin Lewis really likes those thug-types". But since the Ravens made the move, well then, this McClain guy must not be so bad after all, right?...

Look, Ozzie has an outstanding track record but that doesn't mean he has the Midas touch every single time. I think it's fair to say Rolando McClain is the same person today that he was last week. The fact that he now wears purple instead of silver & black doesn't change that. Only time will tell if he'll get his act together.

Blog Entries

Another thing to think about was the Jimmy Smith pick. Jimmy Smith was never supposed to go to the Ravens because we won't take character concern guys.

But we did. And he's been fine. Ozzie did his homework and said it's worth the risk, I think he'll be fine.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I think you're onto something here.

If Cincy had just signed McClain instead of the Ravens -- for the same cheap contract -- the majority of posters here would be making fun of the move and saying things like: "Stupid Bungles" and "Marvin Lewis really likes those thug-types". But since the Ravens made the move, well then, this McClain guy must not be so bad after all, right?...

Look, Ozzie has an outstanding track record but that doesn't mean he has the Midas touch every single time. I think it's fair to say Rolando McClain is the same person today that he was last week. The fact that he now wears purple instead of silver & black doesn't change that. Only time will tell if he'll get his act together.
    Yup. I was on the Titans board since I live in TN and they had a similar thread of 'do you want him' with almost 100% saying no way. Now they're laughing like hell that we took another thug. Not saying it's right or wrong, just that some people don't care about the off field stuff, others care a lot.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Yup. I was on the Titans board since I live in TN and they had a similar thread of 'do you want him' with almost 100% saying no way. Now they're laughing like hell that we took another thug. Not saying it's right or wrong, just that some people don't care about the off field stuff, others care a lot.
    It isn't even just the off field stuff. He's got a rep for not knowing what gap to hit ON the field, as well as not being able to cover. So he's not a 3 down LB, he's not smart, he's never lived up to his potential, AND he's got major character issues. But because the Ravens signed him, now he's a low risk/high reward player. Sorry. It just doesn't work that way. Not when he's never shown any great on field results.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    It isn't even just the off field stuff. He's got a rep for not knowing what gap to hit ON the field, as well as not being able to cover. So he's not a 3 down LB, he's not smart, he's never lived up to his potential, AND he's got major character issues. But because the Ravens signed him, now he's a low risk/high reward player. Sorry. It just doesn't work that way. Not when he's never shown any great on field results.
    He has no where near lived up to #8 but he is a pretty solid 2 down run stopper . I think you are understating his on field abilities, especially for $700k.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    He has no where near lived up to #8 but he is a pretty solid 2 down run stopper . I think you are understating his on field abilities, especially for $700k.
    And I think I'm stating his on field abilities very accurately.

All this fuss over a guy barely making more than the punter, if all the negative traits he exhibited in Oakland show up again they cut him a move on and he's barely a blip on the radar in Ravens history.