Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2223242526 ... LastLast

Re: According to one report Rolando McClain is heading to Baltimore

Superb low risk, potential high reward signing even if it is for one year.

The Ravens front office has set this team up well prior the draft. While it was painful as a fan to see some of these departures defensively, I like this defense better right now in comparison to last season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    Well, if you want to talk about chemistry... there's two other guys already on the Ravens defense that McClain won a national title with at Alabama. I'd say there's quite possibly a bit of chemistry already...

In any event, what's the worst case scenario? He takes up a roster spot and starts on- or off-field shenanigans? Cut him--you're out $700K. Next man up. OTOH, what's the best case scenario? He fulfills the promise of his draft position for $700K for a year?

That's a no-brainer to me. YMMV.
    agreed. character concerns aside the move just makes sense. As far as play is concerned I think youll see the player you saw at alabama more so than oakland which means the later part becomes more likely. We just got a top 10 pick the year we won the SB, im pretty happy with that.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post
    Hmm 4 years younger than Ellerbe.. already been a starter 3 years in this League. Ellerbe had 14 GS, McClain already 38 GS.

Oh and the best part Ellerbe 35 mill.. McClain 0,7 mill.

And to that prize he is not asked to be a saviour, very unlike when he started in this league.. and when Ellerbe is starting Next year.
    Excellent perspective. And no one in the world is expecting him to fill Ray's shoes. Hell, he couldn't even carry Ray's shoes.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

As has beensaid, for the money, excellent move. Very low risk high reward move. Ozzie makes it look like he is a man playing with children.

Wanted to add another potential bonus is if McClain has the year he's capable of rebuilds his value and signs elsewhere the Ravens could see a supplimental pick come there way. A good organization is attractive to players, there's no doubt Oz did his due dilligence with Saban. I have complete confidence with this acquisition.

6. Re: According to one report Rolando McClain is heading to Baltimore

You would hope that a guy like him has got to be thinking he's got a golden opportunity here, and for all accounts he seems to know he does. If you're in his shoes, you're facing a life of getting paid like an average guy in Madison, AL. What 40-50k a year if he's lucky? That'll get you a good life in Alabama, but after tasting that lifestyle, you got to imagine he's going to want more. If he has a solid year, you think someone would take a flier at 3-4 years, 4-5 mil per. More than that if he plays lights out, makes the Pro Bowl, or has a great post-season effort. America loves a good comeback story, and you can bet your ass the coaches and players will be in his ear trying to motivate him with every angle possible. Low risk, high reward. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Huh?

I've never understood this theory some fans have. If the FO / Coaching Staff / Ray were great at keeping troubled players in check, explain Cmac, BJ Sams, Correy Fuller, Jermaine Lewis, etc.

I'd like to know when this line of thinking took hold because the facts don't measure up.

I don't expect the organization to keep tabs on McClain nor will I see it as an organizational failure if he fucks up again. It's up to McClain and him only to impress us as fans and do his job.

And I'm not knocking our franchise. Far from it. It's just they're not in the babysitting business. These guys want to be treated like men, not kids that need to be watched. Thus, players who screw up are left to deal with their issues.

And rightfully so.
    I can't help but think the fact that having Upshaw and Cody already on the team will really help him. Although Cody hasn't had the greatest of starts to his career, it's not like he's known to be a POS off the field. Upshaw is also a great team-guy and takes care of himself well off the field. Maybe if McClain starts to hang out with these guys, their professionalism could rub off on him. Again, it's a stretch, but I can't see it not having some sort of impact.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    BA is too busy with his martyrdom to be worried about playing football.
    Um...you do realize that "his martyrdom" consisted of a rather perceptive & non-hostile comment (about teams in general preferring not to have their players take high profile positions on controversial non-football issues) taken about ten light-years out of context to generate page views--don't you?

Or are we having an Earl Landgrebe moment here?

Hey guys, I'm watching all these highlight plays on McClain, and I see that he wore #55 in Oakland. I'm guessing Suggs aint giving that up. Any bets on what his number is here?

I'm assuming that 52 is off the table, but I haven't heard or read anything about them retiring the number.

As with everyone here, I hope this knucklehead grasps the opportunity in front of him and turns his career and life around. Crabcakes, pushups, and film room son. Enjoy your spring Rolando! Welcome to the land of pleasant living.

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post
    Hmm 4 years younger than Ellerbe.. already been a starter 3 years in this League. Ellerbe had 14 GS, McClain already 38 GS.

Oh and the best part Ellerbe 35 mill.. McClain 0,7 mill.

And to that prize he is not asked to be a saviour, very unlike when he started in this league.. and when Ellerbe is starting Next year.
    Why are you comparing him to Ellerbe? I wouldnt have signed him to that deal either no matter who else we wind up starting.

Even with only 14 starts, Ellerbe has proven to be a much better player so far.

I didn't know our only choices at UFA linebackers were Ellerbe or McClain.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

My hope is that he comes in, works hard, realizes his potential and what it's like playing for a winning organization, and re-signs here on a multi-year deal. He's only 23.

I'm not holding my breath too much on this because a tiger doesn't change their stripes too easily...but he has a great opportunity here. Hopefully he embraces it.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    What's the risk? The risk is this turd is taking up a roster spot--
    According to this offseason schedule they'll have 4 weeks from the start of camp (29 July) to get down to a roster of 75 (27 Aug) & therefore that much practice data as input before he makes it through final cuts (4 PM 31 Aug 2013). Until then he's taking up "a roster spot" normally occupied by a camp body.
    --he's got bust written all over him--
    After 3 years trying to play MLB in a 4-3 scheme when his whole Bama career was in a 3-4 similar to the Ravens' base defense? Premature to say the least.
    --and while the money is peanuts in the overall scheme of things, building a team is more than just putting a bunch of players in a bunch of spots. The Eagles proved that. Building a team is about team chemistry.
    You really think Oz makes this deal without Harbaugh, the coaching staff & the players who've suited up alongside Rolando being OK with it?
    And unless you're Bill Belichick who can handle players like Aqib Talib, you run the risk of upsetting the apple cart with bona fide losers like McClain.
    How the hell do you think Belicheat & the Pats "handle players like Aqib Talib"? Part of it is the willingness to give a "troubled player" a chance to buy into the way a perennial contender goes about its business. Part of it is the amply-demonstrated ruthlessness to cut ties instantamundo with such players as can't or won't. Beyond that is mostly window dressing. You think that doesn't describe Harbaugh & the Ravens?

There is no argument that this guy has in the past behaved off the field like a refugee from Turdistan. The question is whether he's beyond all redemption. Or is he prepared to grow up (he's only 23) & change his ways now that he sees his future slipping away from him? It's not costing the Ravens much to find out.