Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast

Re: According to one report Rolando McClain is heading to Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Jury is out on this one (assuming the report is accurate). The guy is obviously talented, but he's also obviously a knucklehead. Harbaugh and Co won't put up with a lot of crap from him, on the field or off. I think most of you guys are on the right track about it being a low risk contract, so we can part ways rather painlessly if he screws up. At this point, I think the likelihood of him screwing up is pretty high, but I guess we'll see.
    Harbaugh is tough to figure out. He's given David Reed several chances for screw ups both on and off the field. So maybe he's not quite as dogmatic as he seems.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    It also takes away all the reward. Why the heck would we only offer him a one year deal? Why not make it a 2/3 year deal with only the first year guaranteed? If you are going to absorb the risk of a player like McClain, you need to reward yourself with the benefit of having him under contract for more than one year if indeed he turns it around. If he plays moderately well in 2013, then we've rented him for one year and someone else will sign him with a larger offer. With NFL contracts being so team-friendly right now, this would have been the perfect time to tack a year or two on the contract with no risk of further guaranteed money. Also him playing on a year-to-year basis is probably good for him, keeps him hungrier.

I don't get this one bit.
    Good point, but I doubt that you would get a player to sign at or around the minimum (in his case maybe less than the veteran minimum because of his experience) and have him agree to sign his career away.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    That's a good perspective, Shas, although I'm not sure (as you said) how much leverage McClain has at this point.
    I think your instinct was right. Geeze, why just a one year deal?

If you look around the NFL you see a lot of these one-year deals signed by players who were high draft picks, or who flashed a lot of talent for a year or two, but who then fell off because of injuries or being in the wrong system, or whatever -- so they couldn't land the bigger, better deal they think they are worth.

The market for players is so down in general so you're right, you'd think that teams could force better terms, but the players really seem motivated to settle for one year and then come back in a year under hopefully better conditions.

In Oakland you had Tracy Porter and Mike Jenkins both sign one year deals. Both players trying to live up to former reputations. Julian Edleman in New England took a one year deal rather than a depressed multi year deal, hoping to prove he can stay healthy. The Browns inked David Nelson to a one year deal to play in the slot -- I liked him before an ACL injury in Buffalo.

Nnamdi Asomugha is the prime example of a guy who took no guaranteed money and a one year deal in San Francisco, hoping that a team stocked with talent will make him look as good as his reputation once suggested, so he can bounce back next year with a better deal. I'm sure the Niners would have loved to get him when his value was down while having an option for him to be locked down for another three years at that bargain rate.

Hate this move but at least it's not a cap killer.

He has a lot to prove, most of which involves his actions off the field.

I will reserve judgement this time next season.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Harbaugh is tough to figure out. He's given David Reed several chances for screw ups both on and off the field. So maybe he's not quite as dogmatic as he seems.
    Or maybe it's more about how you treat those you work with, how you respond to your coaches and do you buy into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I like that guy. Very smart ball player IMO.
    Smarts = for me.
    We've gotten a lot faster through FA, now let's get smarter.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Supposedly he gave a fake name too lol. I would love to know what name he gave.
    Dirk Diggler, lol.

Blog Entries

I believe it was "Jameel McClain" ;) ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Or maybe it's more about how you treat those you work with, how you respond to your coaches and do you buy into the system.
    It still doesn't totally mitigate your on and off field screw ups.

Blog Entries

Ron Mexico or some shit like that.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Pretty sure that the Raven's have thoroughly vouched on this kid. You have the AL connection, Nick Saban, Terrance Cody, Hue Jackson (Oak), Huff (Oak), Upshaw, and Ozzie to use as a reference on this move.

This is a move that I expected.
    I am surprised, however I believe in our GM and obviously his well known connection to bama country.

Btw he is cousin of LeRon.

He was one of those Raiders draftpicks which was not a total reach, a bust though but still young and first of all low risk, so why not.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Ron Mexico or some shit like that.
    Probably Ron Jeremy...