Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast

Re: According to one report Rolando McClain is heading to Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I'm with GOTA on this. Rolando McClain's off-field history doesn't allow me any enthusiasm whatsoever. I was actually hoping another team would sign him.

So I'll just hope it's a low-risk contract for the Ravens and keep my fingers crossed.
    Agreed 100%.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I'm with GOTA on this. Rolando McClain's off-field history doesn't allow me any enthusiasm whatsoever. I was actually hoping another team would sign him.

So I'll just hope it's a low-risk contract for the Ravens and keep my fingers crossed.
    People here were pissed about Christian Thompson being a dumbass. Now they're bringing in a player for a much bigger role with the same kind of suspension potential. Hopefully being on the world champs with the expectations that go with it will be enough pressure for McClain to get his act together. I don't think anyone is worried about his on the field play. It's all this other stuff that's the issue.

As a player Rolando came out of college as a true 1st round talent. He's got everything you would want in a ILB from a physical stand point and was considered a "coach on the field" during his time at Alabama.

I'm sure the Ravens did their homework on him as I am certain the Raiders as an organization is inept. Evidence is that they have only 15 players on their roster that was there in 2011. They are the furthest thing from a stable and successful organization. Going from a respected winner in Alabama to a perennial loser in Oakland and compounded by him being an immature knucklehead resulted in trouble. Will he redeem himself in a organization with a successful track record as he had in college where he prospered?

Being picked 8th by Oakland made him a 21 year old millionaire and he did what many young men do at that age, he got into trouble. Another certain young Raven MLB nearly ended his his career years ago went on to have a HOF career. I think the risk of bringing him in is worth the potential reward. This could end up going down as one of Ozzie's best steals while they won't lose much if he tanks.

If true, i'm good with this. Low risk, high reward - as I stated in a previous thread, give him a deal similar to Nmandi's in SF, with nothing guaranteed and he virtually needs to fight for a roster spot.

If he doesn't make the team, he doesn't make it. He's a camp body.

I find this similar to last years draft, where I still don't understand why we didn't use a 7th round pick on Vontaze Burfict (sp?) last year instead of letting him become a, 'FA, after the draft and him going to Cinci.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    People here were pissed about Christian Thompson being a dumbass. Now they're bringing in a player for a much bigger role with the same kind of suspension potential. Hopefully being on the world champs with the expectations that go with it will be enough pressure for McClain to get his act together. I don't think anyone is worried about his on the field play. It's all this other stuff that's the issue.
    I still think the Ravens are going to draft an ILB. Even if McClain provides some decent depth for a low price, it will be a good signing. He is only going to get a one year contract.

I get your overall disposition on this matter, but I wouldn't make too much of his actual role quite yet.
    He's going to have to earn whatever role he'll ultimately get. He is not the successor to Ray or even Ellerbe. He's a fast, big, mostly sure tackler soon to be on the roster of a team with many question marks at the position. I'm sure, he's coming cheap and as the mood of the boards are showing; he's coming with low expectations.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Re: Rolando McClain cut by Raiders. Any interest?

I was dead set against it when he was first cut. He's a thug but he wants to re-unite with Upshaw and Mt Cody. They were all a big part of that Alabama National Championship team.

So if he can clean his act up and get a new lease on life he would be a great signing.

Another coup for Oz in the mold of Dumveril.

He wants to come here with his former teammates, not Cleveland.

Bynes, McClellan, etc. arent just gonna lay down because he's in camp. He's probably more physically gifted then them but he's gonna to prove 1. his head is on straight 2. he's willing to buy in to whatever is asked of him. If he does those things i'll have no problems with him playing on first and second down because i think back in a 34 playing behind this front he can be a very good run stuffer. I'll withold any type of excitement until he makes it thru August. I dont think he'll have any margin for error off the field and he better have the right attitude on the practice field and in meetings.

I'm getting kind of excited about this. No doubt he is a knuclehead off the field, but maybe he can straighten up with a change of scenery. Probably a contract that won't bite us in the ass if we cut ties.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I still think the Ravens are going to draft an ILB. Even if McClain provides some decent depth for a low price, it will be a good signing. He is only going to get a one year contract.
    I do too. Now though I think they look at more of a coverage type ILB like Kiko Alonso.

He had 200+ tackles as a Raider
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

I do too. Now though I think they look at more of a coverage type ILB like Kiko Alonso.
    Agreed. I also like the athleticism of Bostic and Jenkins.