Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3031323334 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: According to one report Rolando McClain is heading to Baltimore

According to Aaron Wilson's latest Sun article McClain turned down more lucrative offers to come here.

Defensive players such as Huff, Dumervil and McClain want to come here to contribute to the Ravens' legacy on defense.

Oh and we have news that another Raider, Jacoby Ford, recently got busted for a DUI. I think there has to be something about the Raiders...it almost seems impossible to bust on so many high picks. I think the culture out there is a big issue. It seems to drag players down.

Blog Entries

Doesn't the mutiny incident from last year show that having bad apples in the locker room doesn't always destroy a locker room?

It'd be different if we had a deep rift, ala Defense vs Offense in 2007. I think if McClain acts up in the locker room, there are enough veteran leaders to realize his shit won't cut it and will mention it to Harbaugh.

We lost Ray, Reed, Boldin, and Birk...but Dumervil was mentioned by Von Miller as "(Our/Denver's) Rock", and I think Canty will be another big leader in the locker room. Huff has some leadership qualities too, with the former team no less!

Not saying there isn't a risk there, but I think the locker room risk would only be great if we were bringing him in and holding him on a pedestal. It's really going to depend on how the FO/Coaches treat him. If he's just on the level of a Bynes or McClellan, no one will care if he acts up because he'll be irrelevant shortly.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

As long as McClain isn't bringing a gun into the locker room, I think we'll be okay...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581718,00.html
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Doesn't the mutiny incident from last year show that having bad apples in the locker room doesn't always destroy a locker room?

It'd be different if we had a deep rift, ala Defense vs Offense in 2007. I think if McClain acts up in the locker room, there are enough veteran leaders to realize his shit won't cut it and will mention it to Harbaugh.

We lost Ray, Reed, Boldin, and Birk...but Dumervil was mentioned by Von Miller as "(Our/Denver's) Rock", and I think Canty will be another big leader in the locker room. Huff has some leadership qualities too, with the former team no less!

Not saying there isn't a risk there, but I think the locker room risk would only be great if we were bringing him in and holding him on a pedestal. It's really going to depend on how the FO/Coaches treat him. If he's just on the level of a Bynes or McClellan, no one will care if he acts up because he'll be irrelevant shortly.
    It depends how bad those bad apples really are. In the grand scheme of things player questioning things isn't on the same level as players risking suspensions because they can't function in normal society.

Blog Entries

Webb says Ravens’ new leaders can lead McClain
    ...cornerback Lardarius Webb said their locker room was strong enough to help reel in linebacker Rolando McClain, and can do for him what the Raiders could not.

The Ravens picked up McClain on a low-risk deal after the Raiders cut bait on the former No. 8 overall pick. And Webb, who was born and raised in Alabama, thinks McClain’s found the right atmosphere.

“I’m a Roll Tide fan, so I know exactly who Rolando is and what he’s about,” Webb said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “Once he gets into our locker room and we lead by example and show him how we do things, it will be a great thing for him. He’s a young man and he has so far to grow.

“Not taking nothing away from Oakland, I know the organization we have and the people we have in our locker room, it’s going to be a great fit for him. We’re ready to get him in and show him what we do.”

McClain has vowed to be a changed man, but he’s reached the point after arrests and suspensions that his words carry far less meaning than his actions.

But the veteran corner thinks he can help. When Webb joined the team, he leaned on players such as Ed Reed and Ray Lewis. Those guys are gone now, so he’s ready to step into that kind of role.

“I’ve been here for four years with Ed, and we don’t even really talk football all the time,” Webb said. “Everything I could get from him, I’ve already got it. I looked. I paid attention. I watched him. I watched great leaders like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. They show you how to do it. I’m going to do all of my part to help this team win.”

Webb said his recovery from a torn ACL is going well, and his return is key to rebuilding a defense that got old all at once.

But if he can get in and help rehab the reputation of a talented player with a history of off-field problems, that could help the Ravens as well.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-lead-mcclain/

Nice article bt. I've read a lot about this guy and missed that. We'll see how he works out, but put me down as being optimistic about signing him with a touch of caution. I'm probably 90/10 on that factoring in the low risk.

Blog Entries

OT on this topic, but Webb is one hell of a human being, we could do with more guys like him in life.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    OT on this topic, but Webb is one hell of a human being, we could do with more guys like him in life.
    Yup. Webb's been one of my favorite Ravens since his rookie year. Wishing him a 100% recovery on the ACL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think everyone acknowledges the low risk, high reward aspect of this deal.

Where some folks, including myself, have an issue is the introduction of such a character into a relatively drama free locker room and that effect on the younger players that are coming in.

Yes, if he turns out to be the same douchebag he has been in the past, we can cut him with no concern from a cap standpoint. But even if it's in a small dose, introducing a bad apple to a locker room *could* take weeks to fix, even after the player is gone.
    Aquib Talib was just as bad as McClain off the field. He aimed a gun at a woman and threatened to shoot her, amongst other things. Talib went to NE and has so far done nothing but play well for them and has had no issues off the field thus far. I'm not saying McClain is as good as player as Talib is, but from a locker room perspective, you can easily see that Talib has not affected a strong locker room in NE, and it will likely be the same in Baltimore.

You can talk about losing Reed and Lewis as leaders, they are huge losses, no denying that, and we don't really have a ra ra guy per se (I guess you can kind of quantify Sizzle as being a little that way) but we still have more leaders on our team than most of the NFL.

Blog Entries

I like seeing that Webb, who is another guy who will be a leader on D, is ready to step up and help him out.

Really, what remains to be seen is if he is willing to put in the effort to improve and turn things around. If he doesn't, things might get very dark in that group. If he does, looks like we'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You can talk about losing Reed and Lewis as leaders, they are huge losses, no denying that, and we don't really have a ra ra guy per se (I guess you can kind of quantify Sizzle as being a little that way) but we still have more leaders on our team than most of the NFL.
    I think people are underrating this way too much. Suggs and Ngata have already publicly acknowledge that they need to step up. Webb also has great leader qualities. Von Miller just said in an interview how Doom will be missed for his leadership qualities. So there's 4 on D.

On O, we got Rice and Flacco, as well as Torrey (more of a lead by example guy).

Honestly, this is being blown out of proportion. If he shows up to camp being a dickhead, the boys on D are gunna sit him down and give him the business. Why didn't this happen in Oakland? They don't have established leaders even close ot the extent of Baltimore.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    I think people are underrating this way too much. Suggs and Ngata have already publicly acknowledge that they need to step up. Webb also has great leader qualities. Von Miller just said in an interview how Doom will be missed for his leadership qualities. So there's 4 on D.

On O, we got Rice and Flacco, as well as Torrey (more of a lead by example guy).

Honestly, this is being blown out of proportion. If he shows up to camp being a dickhead, the boys on D are gunna sit him down and give him the business. Why didn't this happen in Oakland? They don't have established leaders even close ot the extent of Baltimore.
    I also find it interesting how Rolando McClain had next to zero character concerns coming into the NFL and all of a sudden magically turns into this criminal after a season in Oakland. He also had a really good rookie year, people seem to forget about that too.