Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2324252627 ... LastLast

Re: According to one report Rolando McClain is heading to Baltimore

"How can anyone not like the move?"

Simple. I don't like the kind of character McClain has proven to be off the field. Some of you have stated you don't care about off-field issues, and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their view. But my own view of the guy is a rather dim one.

If the $700k figure is accurate, it does lower the risk and make the signing somewhat more palatable. If the guy turns it around and keeps his nose clean, great. I'll root for him just like everyone else. But I put little credence in arguments along the lines of: "He played with Upshaw and Cody at Alabama", or "The Ravens locker room will set him straight". The first is irrelevant and the second is optimistic speculation.

So we'll see if this guy is prepared to grow up. Hope for the best and expect the worst. I'm just glad the Ravens aren't on the hook for much money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post

Simple. I don't like the kind of character McClain has proven to be off the field. Some of you have stated you don't care about off-field issues, and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their view. But my own view of the guy is a rather dim one.

If the $700k figure is accurate, it does lower the risk and make the signing somewhat more palatable. If the guy turns it around and keeps his nose clean, great. I'll root for him just like everyone else. But I put little credence in arguments along the lines of: "He played with Upshaw and Cody at Alabama", or "The Ravens locker room will set him straight". The first is irrelevant and the second is optimistic speculation.

So we'll see if this guy is prepared to grow up. Hope for the best and expect the worst. I'm just glad the Ravens aren't on the hook for much money.
    It does make you wonder what the offers he turned down were. Supposedly there were at least 3 other teams trying to sign him. Obviously the money couldn't have been significantly different or he wouldn't be here. It has to be the environment that made him chose the Ravens over those other teams. Did the Ravens lay down the law or softball things and let Upshaw and Cody tell him how great it is to be a Raven?

We've seen a bunch of guys under Harbaugh get in trouble but I can't think of any who were then cut because of it. Harbaugh even kept a coach who was suspended by the NFL. I really hope they do cut McClain if he starts waiving guns around again but I'm not sure they will.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Exactly. If he starts stuff, he's gone (which is why he's scheduled to have a sit down with Ozzie and Harbaugh tomorrow, IMO). They only owe him for the games he's on the roster. If he doesn't make the team in Sept, they owe him nothing. If they need to cut him in Oct, they owe nothing more at that point.

He's likely playing for his career, for a small price - seems like a decent gamble for the team, IMO.

Again, if he bombs or screws up or acts like trud, he's gone (and I'm sure that's exactly what he'll be told tomorrow).
    Ravor is right on this one. If he becomes a detriment to the strong team chemistry the Ravens want to continue, he'll be gone before the final 53.

It's one thing to have problems here, after this being your only team, to be overpaid elsewhere. It's another to go through what he's gone through in Oakland (Self-explanatory), only to get another chance with Baltimore (Self-Explanatory), and unscrew that opportunity. This is his big audition.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It does make you wonder what the offers he turned down were. Supposedly there were at least 3 other teams trying to sign him. Obviously the money couldn't have been significantly different or he wouldn't be here. It has to be the environment that made him chose the Ravens over those other teams. Did the Ravens lay down the law or softball things and let Upshaw and Cody tell him how great it is to be a Raven?

We've seen a bunch of guys under Harbaugh get in trouble but I can't think of any who were then cut because of it. Harbaugh even kept a coach who was suspended by the NFL. I really hope they do cut McClain if he starts waiving guns around again but I'm not sure they will.
    Yeah, I don't think Harbaugh is going to play around with the gun thing.

Here is something else for us to think about. We all recognize that he is better suited for a 3-4 defense. That could help him out here.

The question is, has McClain ever been apart of a front 7 the likes of which the Ravens are putting together right now?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Rolando hasn't been anywhere near as bad as some of you guys are saying
    This. Yall need to calm down

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Harbaugh is going to play around with the gun thing.

Here is something else for us to think about. We all recognize that he is better suited for a 3-4 defense. That could help him out here.

The question is, has McClain ever been apart of a front 7 the likes of which the Ravens are putting together right now?
    Obviously he wasn't in part of a group like that in the Pros but the group he played with in college was dominant and he was their leader. In the draft he was compared to another legendary Alabama LB, Keith McCants. McCants ended up on a chaotic Bucs defense and was also cut after just 3 years. Buddy Ryan thought he could fix him and brought him to his Cardinals teams but it didn't work. Hopefully this is where the McCants/McClain parallel is broken.

I fully understand where most of us are coming from. I did a little research.

I read this article that someone posted and this looks much more promising.
    http://madisonweeklynews.com/rolando...-things-right/

If he is going to turn his life around and get his act together and perform on the field, these are the things he needed to do.

I hear ya. I do have concerns about McClain's character but if the contract numbers are correct it is a relatively low risk/high reward type of thing in my mind. I will give Ozzie and John a little leeway here and trust their judgement if they sign off. If he screws up you cut him and move on.

The other thing that I take into account is the fact that the Ravens are just flat out a better organization than the Raiders. From Robert Gallery to JaMarcus Russel and McClain the Raiders history and ability to develop the first round talent they draft is abysmal. I know for a fact that McClain will have more support and coaching up in Baltimore which I believe will benefit him a great deal. Not expecting him to become an All-Pro but think that with his physical talents he can be a serviceable guy to rotate in at worst...especially vrs the run.

Generally teams that fail to develop high end talent on the field do an even worse job of providing these guys the kind of support they need off the field. These are early 20's kids being handed a ton of money with people pulling at them from all directions. Its easy to lose your way in that environment especially if you lack the family and team support to periodically pull you aside and set you straight or push you to make the right choices. Ray talks about that all the time and is proof that environment and who you surround yourself with can have a massive impact on how the choices a man makes.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Huh?

I've never understood this theory some fans have. If the FO / Coaching Staff / Ray were great at keeping troubled players in check, explain Cmac, BJ Sams, Correy Fuller, Jermaine Lewis, etc.

I'd like to know when this line of thinking took hold because the facts don't measure up.

I don't expect the organization to keep tabs on McClain nor will I see it as an organizational failure if he fucks up again. It's up to McClain and him only to impress us as fans and do his job.

And I'm not knocking our franchise. Far from it. It's just they're not in the babysitting business. These guys want to be treated like men, not kids that need to be watched. Thus, players who screw up are left to deal with their issues.

And rightfully so.
    I agree with you in principle. A screw up can invent ways to screw up.

I will say though that this organization is one that does an excellent job of providing resources for players to utilize in terms of handling the pressures that come from outside sources when you have so much money and so many people pulling you in different directions trying to get a piece of the action. For that to work I agree that the player (McClain in this case) has to be willing to utilize those resources.

I get that every team has those resources. Every team also has scouting departments, player development programs etc...some are just better than others. I have to believe based on the Raiders record with draft picks and in terms of developing talent that their resources suck. Generally if the on field development portion is lacking you can bet dollar to doughnuts the off field part is abysmal.

At the end of the day its up to McClain to utilize the many resources the Ravens will have at his disposal and start making smart adult decisions. I do think that him wanting to be here might be an indicator the guy really gets were he is at and really wants to seriously reclaim his career. I hope it works out for both the Ravens and him
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

I think he will become the best ilb we have ever had not named Sugar. Sharper was awesome. Bart was a beast. Hartwell earned his deal. Guy after guy has come in and played well at that position but the majority of them were undrafted or late round guys. McClain was a recent top 10 pick at a position I trust Oz and co to evaluate better than any other. I have a very good feeling about this and the concerns will be about keeping him long term pretty soon.

:T2:

Just repeat the mantra "money is the biggest motivator."
    McLain will be playing for millions, he is an ideal rental.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...lain/#comments

Other teams were interested in paying McClain more than the Ravens offered, but McClain opted to seize on what he perceives to be a great opportunity with G.M. Ozzie Newsome and coach John Harbaugh.
    Passing up the opportunity to make more money in order to prove yourself shows some maturity.