Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Re: According to one report Rolando McClain is heading to Baltimore

The wizard of OZ is still pouring out magic. I'm not sure what to think about this maybe signing. Of course it's right player right price. Well hopefully he gets out that lazy California sun and come to Charm City and get his head on straight. This is the Superbowl Champs, winning is highly important. I sure hope he pans out.

Make me think, now what if he signs. Does that mean McClellan will not start? I sure hope he does, he is a thumper, he did win the job out of camp last year, hope he can do it again.

Could we now move up in draft if we have a top 15 player fall to reaching spots? Grab a late round LB instead of first or second pick. I would only move up for Austin( I know dreaming he will return home to wear the purple) but I would love if the first pick of ravens was Austin or Armstead. Now getting both of them is really off the charts, lol.

Ian Rapoport says he pretty smart football intelligence wise

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h
    On Rolando McClain, who I covered at Bama: 1 of the smartest players I've met. Has flaws, but he's brilliant. Just needs structure #Ravens

How quickly people forget:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...010&genpos=ILB

If it's a low price or incentive based contract, it could be a good get. He might not evens tart, but help with LB depth.

I'm more concerned with people blasting his ability to read and react, than his off the field incidents. What else has he done than the tinted window arrest? That's completely idiotic but I'm willing to give the guy a break if that's it. He's 23.

My other question is, what defense did the Radiers play? Wasn't it a 4-3? McClain played a 3-4 at 'Bama.
    Oakland is not the best at using talent to its utmost potential. When MccLain was signed they were still under the Al Davis, "Ignore what position they play, sign the biggest stud athlete possible" mentality. Perhaps that was part of McClain's problem in Oakland?

Say what you will, I think McClain might be decent if used right. Heck. In a pinch, we squeezed all the juice we could get out of Chris Carr and Fabian Washington (among others). So I'm willing to give it a chance.

Again, the kid is 23 so it is essentially a draft pick with a little more film to work with. The signing does open up some draft options.

EDIT: Leach, sorry, just saw your post. Some similar discussion...
    Last edited by bensmotorcyclehelmt; 04-10-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    How quickly people forget:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...010&genpos=ILB

If it's a low price or incentive based contract, it could be a good get.

I'm more concerned with people blasting his ability to read and react, than his off the field incidents. What else has he done than the tinted window arrest? That's completely idiotic but I'm willing to give the guy a break if that's it. He's 23.

My other question is, what defense did the Radiers play? Wasn't it a 4-3? McClain played a 3-4 at 'Bama. Perhaps that was part of the problem in Oakland?
    McClain played in a 4-3 at Oakland surrounded by minimal talent. A lot was asked of him, and I think he'll be a better player in Baltimore. My main worry is off the field stuff, the guy is a total dickhead being honest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    My other question is, what defense did the Radiers play? Wasn't it a 4-3? McClain played a 3-4 at 'Bama. Perhaps that was part of the problem in Oakland?
    Raiders played a 4-3, and they asked McClain to be the MLB. I think he'll be a much better fit here playing in the 3-4 like he did at bama.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    McClain played in a 4-3 at Oakland surrounded by minimal talent. A lot was asked of him, and I think he'll be a better player in Baltimore. My main worry is off the field stuff, the guy is a total dickhead being honest.
    That was the past. There were several articles posted earlier in this thread about how he's trying to change his ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Raiders played a 4-3, and they asked McClain to be the MLB. I think he'll be a much better fit here playing in the 3-4 like he did at bama.
    Agreed. He'll spend a lot less time in coverage and more stopping the run and getting to the QB. I absolutely love this deal. I'm not trying to sound cliché, but a change of scenery could really flip McClain's career in the other direction. While we may not have Ray anymore, Elvis, Suggs, Ngata, Webb, and Huff all seem like great guys to take over this locker room. Add that to the fact that he isn't in exactly the most "happening" place in the States, and it could make a big difference.

Talent wise, this guy was supposed to be one of the best LB's to come out of the draft in a while (Certainly better than T'eo). At 23, I really can't see the downside to signing him to a 1 year prove it deal. If it works out, we have our ILB for the next 10 years. If not, we cut him and move on. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Blog Entries

Does he get alot of PF penalties?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by londonraven View Post
    Does he get alot of PF penalties?
    Not really. He isn't Vontaze Burfict, his issues are off the field not on them. If anything he could do with getting more aggressive on the field.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Apparently PFF had McClain as the number 7 ILB last year against the run, and he was 3rd best in lowest missed tackles.
    Interesting stat. Low or no risk for low, mediocre or high return. I am sure Ozzie checked with everyone in the world about him. Plus, both are form Alabama. I'm suprised they went for him with the "gun" thing, but he is likely on a very very short leash. I hope he gets it. His ability is unquestioned just his character, getting out of Oakland does players wonders, worst franchise in the NFL for YEARS now.

I remember the draft hype about him, and a lot of people thinking he was a natural for Baltimore given the Ozzie 'Bama connection and and Ray's age...But there was no way we were moving up that high...

Again, Oakland has been drafting VERY high for a long time. The coaching carousel and franchise leadership has been a mess there. System changes, new coaches etc etc.

If this is a low value contract like Huff's, I'm looking at it as simply giving the Ravens extra draft picks.

Hell, we gave Kindle 2+ years.

Treat him like a late-rounder or udfa. Get the kid to the castle and see if Harbaugh and co. can coach em up. I truly think if they can't, he's out of the NFL.

I'm with GOTA on this. Rolando McClain's off-field history doesn't allow me any enthusiasm whatsoever. I was actually hoping another team would sign him.

So I'll just hope it's a low-risk contract for the Ravens and keep my fingers crossed.