Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2930313233 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

Ninety percent of the bitching & moaning over this low-risk signing is over his off-the-field stuff. (Gets pretty obvious when terms like "turd" & "born loser" are being lobbed around.) The implication is that Oz is stupid for even giving him a chance to turn his career around in a Ravens uniform. Sorry again, I'll go with Oz on that.
    I don't know about others but 70% of my dislike of the move is on the field...since you are quoting a a term I've used in this thread, I've said numerous times he is a turd on the field.

I know leach is saying that he thought he is a solid player, I've watched 4 games so far on game rewind and he looks slow, misses quite a few tackles and is a train wreck in coverage.

Sorry I'm not a fan. I don't care if he offered to play for free, I want zero part of quitters.

It's also a joke that since I don't agree with this move I'm implying Ozzie is stupid...that's preposterous and total overkill. It's typical overdramatizing though so I'm not surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Re: According to one report Rolando McClain is heading to Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't know about others but 70% of my dislike of the move is on the field...since you are quoting a a term I've used in this thread, I've said numerous times he is a turd on the field.

I know leach is saying that he thought he is a solid player, I've watched 4 games so far on game rewind and he looks slow, misses quite a few tackles and is a train wreck in coverage.

Sorry I'm not a fan. I don't care if he offered to play for free, I want zero part of quitters.

It's also a joke that since I don't agree with this move I'm implying Ozzie is stupid...that's preposterous and total overkill. It's typical overdramatizing though so I'm not surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    It's the fact that people are bitching this much over a fucking 700k signing. We sign cheap ass ST players for that. Whining and bitching about a player that may not even make it out of camp is just annoying.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I was initially opposed to move, and I don't see any conflict in supporting it now that its happened.

I'm reminded of a story about Abraham Lincoln. He was discussing some issue with his cabinet and asked them all their opinion. It was unanimous. All 8 members voted Aye. Lincoln smiled and voted nay. Then he said "8 ayes and a nay. The nays have it."

I can state my opinion all I want, but once Oz makes a call, my opinion of the rights and wrongs are meaningless. (In truth they're meaningless to begin with.) Now that the move is done, I can appreciate the very low cost, and resign myself to hoping I'm wrong and Oz is right as usual. So I do. And in doing so I will try to see the positives of the move.

That doesn't make me a hypocrite, it makes me a pragmatist.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Ninety percent of the bitching & moaning over this low-risk signing is over his off-the-field stuff. (Gets pretty obvious when terms like "turd" & "born loser" are being lobbed around.) The implication is that Oz is stupid for even giving him a chance to turn his career around in a Ravens uniform. Sorry again, I'll go with Oz on that.
    I will admit that I wasn't interested in seeing McClain come to Baltimore, but for the investment I can live with it and won't bitch and moan about the signing. Like I said in a previous post, I'm not a GM so what do I know. If he fails, I won't be crowing about it, but the shooting a gun off next to some guy's head and threatening to kill him is a little bit disconcerting. People do make mistakes, and it would be awesome if he turns it around here. Oakland is a crappy place.

Blog Entries

David Reed is making more money than Rolando McClain....chew on THAT for awhile.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Morgan Cox, OUR LONG SNAPPER, is making 755K this season.

How you can complain about signing a starter for peanuts is beyond me - worst comes to worst and you cut him without any significant loss.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    David Reed is making more money than Rolando McClain....chew on THAT for awhile.

hahahahahaha...I swear to GAWD that I was going to come in here and mention this very thing yesterday. I must have gotten distracted by some puny non-football lovin' co-worker around here, and forgot all about it.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I will say again I think it will work out the way it has so many times before when Oz brings in a defender. The Ravens have great coaches. Ellerbe had a lot of issues. He was at one point almost as hot a prospect as McClain but off field concerns, injuries and questionable charachter had him undrafted and then in and out of the Harbaugh dog house. Ultimately they coached him up and he developed into a force and got the kind of money he was likely dreaming about back when he started f-ing up in the first place. Rolando did not start having issues until he got a ton of money from the Radiers. The off field stuff he will likely mature away from anyway, and there is no better place for a player to develp on field than with the Raven defense, particuarally at ilb, even if Ray is not in the meeting rooms anymore. The linebackers get defensive coordinator types as position coaches here. They can teach guys who are raw how to play the position, and in the 3-4 the Ravens run there is less ground for the ilb to cover and it is a different type of skill set more suited to a big physical guy like McClain than a 4-3 is. Ellerbe and 37 year old Ray Lewis were not exacly lock down cover linebackers. I think it is reasonable to expect to see an upgrade in production from that position due mainly to the DL improvements but also maybe from a physical upgrade at ilb as well.

:T2:

9. Re: According to one report Rolando McClain is heading to Baltimore

If what some folks are saying about the changes the guy is making in his life are true, maybe he'll have more focus on the field. If he turns it around as an ILB cool. If he makes a good ST player, good - maybe he'll develop into a good replacement for Ayandbedejo. And if he's more worthless than the cheap ass 700k deal they gave him, freakin cut him - who cares?

But if he works out in either of the two options above, Ozzie will once again have gotten a good bargain with little risk.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

I think everyone acknowledges the low risk, high reward aspect of this deal.

Where some folks, including myself, have an issue is the introduction of such a character into a relatively drama free locker room and that effect on the younger players that are coming in.

Yes, if he turns out to be the same douchebag he has been in the past, we can cut him with no concern from a cap standpoint. But even if it's in a small dose, introducing a bad apple to a locker room *could* take weeks to fix, even after the player is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Where some folks, including myself, have an issue is the introduction of such a character into a relatively drama free locker room and that effect on the younger players that are coming in.

Yes, if he turns out to be the same douchebag he has been in the past, we can cut him with no concern from a cap standpoint. But even if it's in a small dose, introducing a bad apple to a locker room *could* take weeks to fix, even after the player is gone.
    Thank you. I don't think anyone here is grumbling about the dollars and cents.

Now that McClain is a Raven, I obviously hope he turns it around. But HR has touched on what I believe is a legitimate concern, and that's where some of us (myself, at least) are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

I feel like there already has to be a handfull of "bad apple" personalities on every team. It is just an excuse when things go wrong imo and not a very good one. Not that it does not exist at all, but it just does not cut it as a viable reason for failure for a football team.

:T2: