Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: The post your mock here thread....

Since I live in Portland, I give to you an all-left coast draft. Obviously this won't happen but it's an exercise, right? Drumroll please....

1. (32) Keenan Allen, WR, California - Might as well start in the Golden Sate with a WR who Greg Cosell compares favorably to Hopkins of Clemson. If Allen is gone then we go with Robert Woods of USC.

2. (62) Kyle Long, OT/G Oregon. Needs a year to develop but has a huge upside. Alternate pick: Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State

3. (94) Kiko Alonzo, ILB Oregon. Alternate pick: Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State

4. (129) Phillip Thomas, S Fresno State

4. (130) Brian Schwenke, C, California

5. (165) Joe Kruger, DE, Utah A

5. (168) T.J. McDonald, S, USC Alternate pick: Duke Williams, S Nevada

6. (199) Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon

6. (200) Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA

6. (203) Steve Williams, CB, California Excellent combine numbers.

7. (238) Michael Clay, OLB/ILB Oregon I think Oregon fans want this guy to succeed more than any other. Clay was the defensive heart and brains for the Ducks. He called the plays, made most of the big plays.

7. (247) Sam Brenner, OG Utah Needs a year to get stronger and refine his technique (plays too high) but should become serviceable in the league as a decent backup.

Note: outside of Star there's no big DT types on the west coast this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    ... I'm just an amateur, and not even one of the better ones at that....
    Jones isn't going to be a LT in the pro's, but his athleticism is more than sufficient at center or guard. You can easily see that watching his 2011 tape, it's not like he regressed in 2012, but he obviously dealt with some injuries throughout the year. I certainly think he's better than a 4th or 5th round pick, but we'll see what the teams really think.
    1st, don't disparage your football knowledge, we're all amateurs here.
    I stand by B. Jones being a solid 3rd round pick, especially because the Ravens choose so far down the list. Nothing wrong with a guy who can back-up LG/C/RG at a decent level... Bc

One last mock for draft day...

1. (32) Matt Elam SS Florida - I think I had him going to the Ravens in my very first offseason mock, and now I've circled all the way back. Other possible picks: Keenan Allen, Alec Ogletree, Jon Cyprien, Arthur Brown, Menelik Watson

2. (62) Sio Moore ILB/OLB UConn - I had previously mocked other ILB prospects like Khaseem Greene and Arthur Brown in this spot, but there are rumors flying that the Ravens are interested in Moore, and he has huge upside. His ability to make plays, rush the passer, and drop into coverage would make him an adequate replacement for Ellerbe.

3. (94) Travis Kelce TE Cincinnati - I've had this slot earmarked for Da'Rick Rogers for a long time, but I think the Ravens could be more confident in their young WRs than we know. Meanwhile, they have no TEs under contract for 2014 and none that can block at all in 2013. Kelce could easily be the best TE from this class very quickly.

4. (129) Brian Schwenke G/C Cal - Schwenke might not drop this far, but if he does, the Ravens have shown a lot of interest and his versatility and athleticism fit the scheme perfectly. Possible day 1 starter at LG if KO needs to kick out to LT.

4. (130) Chris Harper WR Kansas State - The Ravens have shown a lot of interest in Harper, and although I wasn't overly impressed with him early in the process his stock is up in my eyes. His tape proved better than expected.

5. (165) Jordan Mills OT LA Tech - Mills is not a player I think will go as highly as he was initially projected. His technical deficiencies will prevent him from starting a game anytime soon, but he is excellent insurance for Michael Oher possibly departing in FA next year. He'll be solid depth at OT in 2013.

5. (168) Brandon Jenkins OLB FSU - Jenkins has endured a disastrous slide this year. Coming off of his junior season he would have been a likely top-60 pick in the 2012 draft, but now he falls all the way to the end of the 5th due to lingering medical issues. Again, a guy who will be solid depth over the next year or two and great insurance against Suggs entering the decline phase of his career.

6. (199) Keith Pough ILB Howard - The Ravens have shown a lot of interest in Pough and he's a good value here. Doubling up at ILB, particularly with Sio Moore's ability to also play SAM in a pinch, seems like a good idea.

6. (200) Kenjon Barner RB Oregon - This is not a "need" pick, but the Ravens lack a breakaway threat out of the backfield and could also stand to add depth at returner. Barner would add a nice speed element in a change-of-pace RB role and as a punt returner if Jacoby is not retained beyond 2013.

6. (203) Kyle Juszczyk FB/HB/TE Harvard - Juszczyk is projected as high as the 4th round in many mocks, but no FB has been drafted higher than the 5th round since 2008 (Rhett Ellison was drafted as a TE by Minnesota last year.) He could easily fall deep into the 6th round or so and would be a very capable replacement for Leach if the team decides to go in a different direction at FB. Unsurprisingly, he's not the mauling run blocker that Leach is, but he is an upgrade in the athleticism and receiving department, and can back up at TE in a pinch.

7. (238) John Boyett FS Oregon - Another typical Ozzie pick, Boyett would go much higher if not for knee injuries that derailed his senior season. He's not a physically impressive specimen but there are flashes of Ed Reed level potential on tape; at his best, a great single-high safety prospect who is not afraid to shoot down into the box and stick his nose into the play.

7. (247) Quinton Dial DE/DT Alabama - The Ravens have shown plenty of interest in Dial, a nice late-round prospect with scheme versatility and good upside.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    1st, don't disparage your football knowledge, we're all amateurs here.
    I stand by B. Jones being a solid 3rd round pick, especially because the Ravens choose so far down the list. Nothing wrong with a guy who can back-up LG/C/RG at a decent level... Bc
    I'd be very much surprised, and maybe even a bit PO'd if we don't nab one of Pugh, Jones, Schwenke or Quessenberry (and maybe even Frederick (who's a better G than C). We need OL flexibility to protect our $120M man.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Without trades:

1. (32) Matt Elam, S, Florida
    2. (62) Sio Moore, LB, UCONN
    3. (94) Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati
    4. (129) Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma
    4. (130) Chris Faulk, OT, LSU
    5. (165) Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois
    5. (168) Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
    6. (199) Ace Sanders, WR, South Carolina
    6. (200) Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina