Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Are the Ravens more Popular than we Think?

There is pretty good support for the Ravens in the Washington, DC Metro area. There are at least two Ravens bars here. The Mason Inn in the Glover Park section of DC which has been one for a couple of years. The other one is host to the Baltimore Ravens Fan Group-Virginia/DC Metro Chapter Meetup Group at Rock Bottom Brewery at Ballston Commons Mall in Arlington, Virginia. The group which I watch games with is two years old, the first year we watched games at various establishments in DC/VA, This year we started out at another bar in Arlington, before the manager of Rock Bottom offered a better deals featuring the back bar with our own dedicated bartender and a special menu which includes Crab Pretzels and Natty Bohs. We had a Super Bowl championship Happy Hour in late February and this season there may be some tailgates in the stadium parking lot for those fans going to the game.

There is a DC radio station that is part of the Ravens radio network, WFED which is not really needed because you can pick up 98Rock in most of the metro area. There was a Ravens Nest in Bowie, MD that was a Roost, but switched to the Chamber in 2001 before folding about 4 years ago. I still tailgate with some former members in the same spot where the Nest used to tailgate in Lot H when I go to some of the games.

Blog Entries

More popular than who thinks? The Ravens are a popular franchise and that the people who claim they aren't are living in the past. Being arguably the most successful franchise in the NFL over a five year span will do that. Are they as popular as say, the Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, or 49er's? No, but definitely getting there. What's the common thing between those four franchises? Sustained success over a period of time either presently or in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
    There is pretty good support for the Ravens in the Washington, DC Metro area.
    +1

I see tons of folks walking around in Ravens gear downtown. That's great to hear about RB - are you guys going to do it again next year?

Blog Entries

I've been on holiday in Orlando for over a week now and been to Universal studios quite a bit as well. I've seen Ravens jerseys everywhere, and seen quite a few Flacco jerseys, I was quite shocked my self because I've always thought the Ravens were the most under appreciated good team in the NFL (which even now still has a lot of truth to it) but I think the team will likely continue to become more globally renowned, especially if Flacco continues to play at an elite level.

It's not very noticeable, since Alabama only cheers for college teams, but there's been an uptick in people who know about the Ravens. My family all cheer for them, mostly because I threatened 'em, but they do cheer.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock

I know a lot of people say that we'll never be a very popular team because we're landlocked around other franchises, but I think that there's something to be said about being a "football region." With the Eagles, Redskins, and Steelers, securing our borders, you really can't go anywhere without hearing about football, and all of the smacktalk from our neighbors riles us up, and makes us care about the game even more. It's the same thing with college basketball in North Carolina. It's not an essentially populated area, but it's home to many top D1 basketball programs, and arguably two of the most prolific teams in the country (UNC and Duke).

Another thing I wanted to point out is that we were ranked in Forbes as the 11th most valuable franchise in the NFL, and this was before this season even started. I'd imagine that a 2nd ring would only make this go up. I thought that the most interesting ranking was the Texans at #5, doesn't surprise me too much, as Houston is a top 5 market, football is everything in Texas, and sports are very underrepresented in Texas for its size and population.

Honestly, I'm torn on the issue of popularity. With the salary cap, there's little reason to need a ton of money to compete, but I know that ownership needs money to keep the lights on. I hate seeing other people wearing jerseys of our rivals, but in a sense, I like the feeling of pride and arrogance that I feel for rooting for an underdog team that Charm City has all to itself that embarrasses the bigger market teams on the field. I guess that we'll have to get used to bandwagoners.

I live up in North Jersey. I move here 10 years ago and never saw anyone wear purple other than my brother when he would visit.

Now and then I will see someone with a ravens something on or a sticker on a car. I've always hoped for a Ravens hang out up this way.

The great thing that winning has done over the years is it brought more prime time slots, which means I get more games on regular TV!

Blog Entries

I'm from the Baltimore area and moved to Hanover several years ago and Hanover IS Ravens country! Most of my neighbors and others in the south Hanover area are Maryland transplants that still work in Maryland. We're spreading...

I was at the post office a few days ago in zip 16365 (NW PA) and ran into another Ravens fan. I had on my AFC champ hat and Rice jersey and a lady says "How nice to see another Ravens Fan". She was wearing a Ravens scarf and like myself she is a transplant from Md.

I saw another guy last season in a Lewis jersey in the grocery store parking lot but he was gone before i could track him down.

There are a few of us up here. Some are fans just from being friends with my wife and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
    The other one is host to the Baltimore Ravens Fan Group-Virginia/DC Metro Chapter Meetup Group at Rock Bottom Brewery at Ballston Commons Mall in Arlington, Virginia.
    Nightman i'm glad your group is still rockin', but that is one long ass name for a Fan Club lol!

Although the Ravens Roosts grew to 78 clubs this year, there are still none in PG, Montgomery, Charles or St Mary's counties, traditionally Foreskin territory. The closest to DC I guess is the one in Prince Frederick. I partied with them at the Polar Bear Plunge and they are going strong.

If any of your group want to be guests at our Roost's tailgate one game this year, please let me know. Buzzy still asks about you brother!
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.

So the article didn't stipulate as to what are exact ranking was right? It just mentioned that we were in the group of the top 6, but not #1? The RGIII thing is pretty annoying. The guy hasn't won a play-off game, and his game may never be the same now that teams have figured out how to stop him. But I guess that if you're ever going to buy a jersey, people like going with rookies, as they feel that those players will be with the team for a long time. My rule is that I buy them for players that have just been extended long-term, or a proven franchise QB, teams go out of their way to make sure that great QB's never leave.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever_com View Post
    The major issue here is the fact that the BOOTLEG "Authentic" Jerseys are not part of the count. I would assume that the amount of counterfeit jerseys would greatly decrease the NFL sales numbers. Maybe we just have more honest fans? No that can't be it since I see thousands of bootlegs at the Vault. I think the real fact is that the NFL has major investigations based in the Washington DC area so we see plenty items seized and the person selling them getting a US Customs Notice and charged with a crime. Funny how many bootleg hats and jerseys you can see at a game. By hey someone needs to help support the guys selling $5 hats on the bridges!
    I have about 20 "bootleg Authentic" Ravens jerseys... some are retired, .... and NO I have no purple, I have either black or white jerseys, or both.... because black and/or white are ... well black or white, not blurple, or whatever that color is. So, My purchases did not help, and Most folk I know also have the "faux" jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever_com View Post
    The major issue here is the fact that the BOOTLEG "Authentic" Jerseys are not part of the count. I would assume that the amount of counterfeit jerseys would greatly decrease the NFL sales numbers. Maybe we just have more honest fans? No that can't be it since I see thousands of bootlegs at the Vault. I think the real fact is that the NFL has major investigations based in the Washington DC area so we see plenty items seized and the person selling them getting a US Customs Notice and charged with a crime. Funny how many bootleg hats and jerseys you can see at a game. By hey someone needs to help support the guys selling $5 hats on the bridges!

"They're hot but they're good!"

Don't feel too bad about it guys, per the CBA, all of the merchandise sales are split evenly among the 32 teams anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by riprulz8 View Post
    We're about a two minute drive from the Hamilton train station. Bill's Olde Tavern, and Killarney's used to have pretty nice showing. I was definitely surprised - lots of Eagles fans, naturally, but also an unbelievable amount of Cowboys and Steelers fans. I've found that to be the case throughout Jersey as the state doesn't really have its own team to latch onto.

The north is split with the Giants and Jets, whereas the central and south is mostly Eagles. However, I see so many Dallas stars and Pittspuke car tags/jackets/hats/shirts that its ridiculous. In talking to my neighbors who happen to be fans of those squads not a single one has ever been to, nor is from Pitt/Dallas. Their families just jumped on the bandwagon in the 70s.
    I know those places. I was surprised too when I first saw all the Steelers fans in the area. A few of the Steelers fans I know are also Lakers and fans of other teams that had success in the 70's.

Yeah, North Jersey is pretty solid one way or the other, Giants or Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
    I live up in North Jersey. I move here 10 years ago and never saw anyone wear purple other than my brother when he would visit.

Now and then I will see someone with a ravens something on or a sticker on a car. I've always hoped for a Ravens hang out up this way.

The great thing that winning has done over the years is it brought more prime time slots, which means I get more games on regular TV!
    My GF lives up there, so I'm up there alot, and frequently wear purple. Whenever I see anybody else there or in NY with Ravens stuff, I go over and say hello.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present