Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Read up on Dr John Lott then.

Numerous study's (all of which have been replicated) all pointing to the central premise "More guns, less crime".

His book is titled just that.

Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Very valid point. How do you track a crime or shooting that doesn't take place?
    especially when it doesn't fit the Maintream Media's incredibly liberal agenda. they hushed that Oregon incident as best they could.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    especially when it doesn't fit the Maintream Media's incredibly liberal agenda. they hushed that Oregon incident as best they could.
    Yup. I remember about a week after that happened I said to myself "what ever happened with that shooting in Oregon". Guess those people who died there aren't as important... since they can't be used for a political agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Read up on Dr John Lott then.

Numerous study's (all of which have been replicated) all pointing to the central premise "More guns, less crime".

His book is titled just that.
    I'll look it up and give it a read.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

"The overwhelming majority (almost 90 percent) of officers believe that casualties would be decreased if armed citizens were present at the onset of an active-shooter incident."
    Thats not the same as saying they feel citizens should be armed though. Saying casualties would be less is an obvious truth, but that doesnt mean they agree all civilians should be armed by that statement. mixing two things here. Obviously if theres more guns there to stop the scene before police even arrive casualties would be less. whether that means all of them agree that its in the best interests of everyone for that to be the case or not is more complex than that. that specific scenario, apparently. broad spectrum im sure that varies.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Thats not the same as saying they feel citizens should be armed though. Saying casualties would be less is an obvious truth, but that doesnt mean they agree all civilians should be armed by that statement. mixing two things here. Obviously if theres more guns there to stop the scene before police even arrive casualties would be less. whether that means all of them agree that its in the best interests of everyone for that to be the case or not is more complex than that. that specific scenario, apparently. broad spectrum im sure that varies.
    Read the article / study in its entirety.

It's very clear the vast majority of the street cops surveyed want just that.

Blog Entries

Read the article / study in its entirety.

It's very clear the vast majority of the street cops surveyed want just that.
    For what it's worth I have 3 friends in law enforcement who all agree with this. Small sample size but 3 for 3 ain't bad.

For what it's worth I have 3 friends in law enforcement who all agree with this. Small sample size but 3 for 3 ain't bad.
    Likewise.

I got that study off the Facebook page of a cop friend of mine who agrees. He's a Maryland State Trooper and he had 25-30 comments on his page, all in agreement.

I know a couple of city cops who feel their job would be immensely easier if people in Bmore were allowed to carry.

Blog Entries

Like I said before I have multiple friends in the field and its split a lot more evenly than that. Makes it a little harder to believe even if it is a smaller sample size.
    -JAB

Dr Lott's second book, "The Bias Against Guns" delves into this as well.

His sample size was a touch smaller but had similar findings.

Blog Entries

Since we're on the topics of gun myths....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/s...-election.html
    Currently, only people who buy guns through federally licensed dealers have to undergo a criminal background check, leaving a loophole for some online and gun show shoppers.
    HR, correct me if I am wrong, but if you buy any gun online even on an auction site, it can't be shipped to your house, you have to buy it from a licensed dealer, correct?

Also, as far as the gun show loophole, here in NC if you sell a handgun to someone, you are required to get the permit from their local Sheriff's office just like if you were a retailer, otherwise you just broke the law.

Since we're on the topics of gun myths....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/s...-election.html

HR, correct me if I am wrong, but if you buy any gun online even on an auction site, it can't be shipped to your house, you have to buy it from a licensed dealer, correct?
    That's correct. If you buy a gun online, you have to find a dealer in your area with a Federal Firearms License ("FFL") to which the weapon can be sent. Once you make the online purchase, the seller will ship to that dealer only upon verification of their FFL. When you your weapon arrives, you have to produce ID proving the gun can then be handed off to you. Most FFL dealers will charge you a fee on top of whatever you purchased for the firearm.

Also, as far as the gun show loophole, here in NC if you sell a handgun to someone, you are required to get the permit from their local Sheriff's office just like if you were a retailer, otherwise you just broke the law.
    That varies from state to state. Texas has no requirement from person to person. The way the Manchin Senate bill is written, it would require something similar to what you have in NC. There's also a carve out for family gifts, allowing weapons to be moved amongst family members without notification to the government.