Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 11121314 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: How can anyone still believe in God

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Einstein did NOT believe the universe was eternal post Hubble's findings.

Einstein with Hubble discussing Hubble's findings.

Link please or is that just an opinion.

Blog Entries

So things can happen uncaused, then? Why doesn't a giraffe just happen right in front of me right now?
    Because you're at Mt. Arrogance at the Windbag Estates.

Do they have giraffes there?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

LOL, so aliens are uncaused? They are now God? Aliens can only go back so far, as the universe is only so old and the matter needed for life is even less old since it was all created in stars that eventually died. The matter necessary for life didn't exist until about 4.5 - 4.7 billion years ago, oddly right about the time our sun and the earth formed. How "lucky" for us.
    Did you forget what sarcasm was like while you've been away?

Here, how's this:

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Can I link a book somehow? It is not an opinion, Einstein became a deist based on the universe beginning to exist. He denied up until Hubble's discovery. When Hubble discovered the expanding universe that, when run backwards, showed a beginning, Einstein visited him to discuss his findings (see the picture, Hubble is the guy with the pipe).

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Did you forget what sarcasm was like while you've been away?

Here, how's this:

Sorry, I was going through the thread quickly and thus lost some of the nuance and ended up discussing things brought up already though I hadn't reached that point in the thread. So I got two errors.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Hey Greg.

Nice to have you back from vacation.
    Nice to be back.

http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/Cyb...ExpandUni.html

Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which established the relationship between matter, space, time and gravity, governs modern cosmology's view of the universe. But when Einstein began to apply his theory to the structure of the universe, he was dismayed to find that it predicted either an expanding or contracting universe--something entirely incompatible with the prevailing notion of a static universe. In what he would later call "the greatest blunder of my life," Einstein added a term called the cosmological constant to his equations that would make his calculations consistent with a static universe.

Einstein admitted his mistake in 1929 when Edwin Hubble showed that distant galaxies were, indeed, receding from the earth, and the further away they were,the faster they were moving. That discovery changed cosmology

Trap, this is an area I am quite familiar with.

Blog Entries

Yea, I know and I know better to argue with you on science but that's what I was saying.
    Einstein admitted his mistake in 29 and became an Agnostic afterward that there was a
    beginning but he never believed in a personal God. God was the universe but I thought that
    was after Hubble and his mistake.

HR changed his statement of Einstein being religious to this after I challenged it.

In the beginning Einstein was atheist all the way but not in the end.

I also used this Spinoza quote above and a letter from Einstein to a friend where
    he called himself an Agnostic.

Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-14-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Because you're at Mt. Arrogance at the Windbag Estates.

Do they have giraffes there?
    Still waiting for my giraffe or a rollercoaster to just pop into my backyard, uncaused. That said, I don't think my neighbors would appreciate either.

Yea, I know and I know better to argue with you on science but that's what I was saying.
    Einstein admitted his mistake in 29 and became an Agnostic afterward that there was a
    beginning but he never believed in a personal God. God was the universe but I thought that
    was after Hubble and his mistake.

HR changed his statement of Einstein being religious to this after I challenged it.

In the beginning Einstein was atheist all the way but not in the end.

I also used this Spinoza quote above and a letter from Einstein to a friend where
    he called himself an Agnostic.

When it comes to God Einstein was all over the place so labeling him as anything beyond a deist, which means a creator but as you noted non-personal, is not being fair. And even labeling him that at certain times in his life would not be accurate.

That said, if there is a timeless cause to the universe it would have to be personal because the cause, or Cause, decided to create and only persons can make decisions.

Blog Entries

Agreed. Yea, Albert was all over the place. I was hoping you'd chime in when this discussion started.

Speaking of time, I used that over on Sunspot years ago and lost everyone. In the beginning the heaven and earth was void and without form, so God needed something to put them in and
    that something was time.

Time just isn't measurement but part of the equation that the human mind just can't
    comprehend including Albert's.

How's JOey doing Greg? He must be pretty big by now and your princess was just a baby
    the last time I saw her at your pool party. No wonder we're both old now-lol.

The kids are doing well, thanks. Allison and her best friend found a red eared slider in the pool today, little guy is a bit over an inch. We are trying to decide if we will keep him, which can mean a 30 year or more commitment, or if we will take him to the pond and let him go.

Just looking at that fascinating little creature puts me in awe of God's power. There is no way time plus matter plus chance equals that.

Time is fascinating as well. It has physical properties just like space. Time moves at different speeds based on all manner of things, including the speed of the observer, and even the gravitation pull on the clock recording the time. The two Cesium clocks in the world used for world time keeping are in Greenwich at sea level and CO at about 4,500 feet. They run at speeds that are different because of the difference in elevation which results in a very slight gravitational difference.