Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Unitas' grandson says Joe Flacco is an "embarrassing choice" to play Johnny U.

I've been thinking about this a bit...probably more than I should be...

Could this be a brilliant marketing strategy? Think about this...Joe Unitas announces Joe Flacco playing Unitas, Baltimore goes nuts for the movie. John Unitas Jr. then comes out and goes nuts about this being dumb and Joe Flacco being a terrible choice. Now the rest of the sports world pays notice and the Flacco haters go "Yeah! This IS dumb!" and drum up more interest in the movie, maybe in the hopes that they pick someone else for the role.

Maybe not. To be fair, if you were going to compile a shortlist of NFL guys to play Unitas, it's really consist of two names...Joe Flacco and Peyton Manning. Joe because of the Baltimore tie-in, and Peyton because of the Colts tie-in. Drew Brees and Tom Brady could have their names in there, but don't have enough tie-in to Unitas to make it a smart move. And in fairness to Joe Unitas, who would you pick? You're betting that your audience will predominantly be Baltimore fans, not Colts fans. And if Peyton Manning was your choice, I guarantee many in Baltimore would be outraged and think twice about donating/seeing. Meanwhile, I think Indy fans for the most part give a rat's ass about a movie on Johnny Unitas.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Unitas' grandson says Joe Flacco is an "embarrassing choice" to play Johnny U.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Players do not go into the HoF as a player of any one team, per se.

All of the teams they played for are listed on their bust.

Since he played for the Baltimore Colts and the San Diego Chargers, those are the teams that are listed.

There was never an issue of him being listed as a player from the Indianapolis Colts. That's not how the Hall works.
    Uh...he WAS listed as an Indianapolis Colt. One of my patients, who was at the '58 and '59 Championship games was "removed" from the HOF for that very reason. He made a scene about the fact that none of them played for Indianapolis and they "removed" him from the building and told him he wasn't allowed to return. They used to have all of the Colts heritage listed as Indianapolis. There was no mention of Baltimore.

In fact, I will speak to him in a few hours and get the exact story and report it back here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He could have made his entire case and really made Joe Unitas look bad without bringing Flacco and the Ravens into it.
    Thats my only take from this. He made it personal about Flacco when Flacco is the least that any anger should be directed to in all of this.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Uh...he WAS listed as an Indianapolis Colt. One of my patients, who was at the '58 and '59 Championship games was "removed" from the HOF for that very reason. He made a scene about the fact that none of them played for Indianapolis and they "removed" him from the building and told him he wasn't allowed to return. They used to have all of the Colts heritage listed as Indianapolis. There was no mention of Baltimore.

In fact, I will speak to him in a few hours and get the exact story and report it back here.
    I think youre right that there is NOT ONE "Baltimore Colt" in the HoF. Theres actually a petition for it.

Colts Heritage You can turn off the music in the upper left, its pretty loud.

Im not sure how old that is, or if things have changed since its creation but certainly appears to still be the same.

I like that they point out the leagues apparent thoughts on the matter...
    When Johnny Unitas passed away, the NFL allowed only the Baltimore Ravens to honor his passing by wearing patches on helmets and jerseys? That privilege was not offered to the Indianapolis Colts.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    He is too furious to think straight. It's as if he expects Joe Flacco to understand the riff in between the families and that's not fair, but the truth is that he isn't thinking straight.

Johnny U is probably rolling over in his grave ready to kick everybody's ass.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. Think long and hard before you decide to begin a family.
    Ain't that the truth. Things get nasty in families when money is involved. A similar thing happened when one of my great aunts passed. It was sickening to see some of the relatives only caring about how much money they were getting.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post

He's wrong or doesn't understand the Hall.

All of the players, going back to its inception, are enshrined with a bust, a brief description of their careers and the teams for which they played. Unitas was enshrined the same way.

Players are not associated with any one team in the Hall. All of the teams they played for are listed, including the city to which the team is affiliated at the time that player played.

Here's Unitas' web page description:

http://www.profootballhof.com/mobile...x?PlayerId=219

Now sometimes the Hall will do exhibits on teams, placing their busts amongst a display with team memorabilia but its my understanding Unitas asked the Hall not to include his bust in any such display and the Hall honored that request.

Blog Entries

Re: Flacco's Acting Debut & Unitas' Grandson's Reaction (Merged)

He's wrong or doesn't understand the Hall.

All of the players, going back to its inception, are enshrined with a bust, a brief description of their careers and the teams for which they played. Unitas was enshrined the same way.

Players are not associated with any one team in the Hall. All of the teams they played for are listed, including the city to which the team is affiliated at the time that player played.

Here's Unitas' web page description:

http://www.profootballhof.com/mobile...x?PlayerId=219

Now sometimes the Hall will do exhibits on teams, placing their busts amongst a display with team memorabilia but its my understanding Unitas asked the Hall not to include his bust in any such display and the Hall honored that request.
    I think there was certainly a time when that wasnt the case. That entire website I linked to has numerous quotes from ex-players talking about the HoF and how they want to be represented as Baltimore Colts. Guess the petition worked?
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think there was certainly a time when that wasnt the case. That entire website I linked to has numerous quotes from ex-players talking about the HoF and how they want to be represented as Baltimore Colts. Guess the petition worked?
    Again, I think it has to do with special team displays or exhibits, not a players enshrinement.

The Hall will do special exhibits and honor certain teams or games and this exhibits will include the players bust or their memorabilia.

Art Donovan, Lenny Moore, etc are all listed as Baltimore Colts. When the move happened, their team affiliation didn't change from Baltimore to Indy. They were always listed as Baltimore Colts under their busts and always will be.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 04-08-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Re: Flacco's Acting Debut & Unitas' Grandson's Reaction (Merged)

I'm pleasantly surprised if that's the case given the NFL's usual stubborness and self importance. I could easily have seen them just telling even someone as legendary as Mr. Unitas "No we'll do what WE want and that's that."

Regarding the family fallout it sucks that all this dirty laundry had to air in what should be a celebratory occassion and it sucks even more that Joe is now in the middle of it all. And of course I imagine this will open the floodgates a new for more Joe bashing. Not even going to go on PFT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    The whole thing is now sad. I think John Jr. and JC have some valid complaints about their half brother/half uncle, but they're wrong to slam Flacco. He didn't do anything to deserve their vitriol. Seems like they don't know the details of Flacco's involvement, or don't care to. Either way, this whole sorry deal is sad.
    Off the top of my head, I would guess that Joe U. sold the idea to Flacco as a charity thing (since the proceeds, if any, are supposedly going to Johnny U's charities), & Flacco said to himself, I get to play the legend in the town we both played for & it's all for a good cause, so what's not to like here? Never realizing he was walking into the familial equivalent of a Superfund site...

Whenever I run across this sort of petty family bickering, it reminds me to be grateful I haven't had to deal with it in my own. But it would be nice not to be reminded so often...

Re: Lol wtf?!!?! Joe flacco acting?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    so...how weird is it going to be to see Joe Flacco in a Colts helmet?
    It will be strange indeed. If he wears the high top boots it will be down right eerie.

Johnny's son spoke of the parallels between Joe and Johnny, and I've often thought about how much these two QB's from different eras have so much in common. Their demeanors, that fact that both were considered not good enough by Pittsburg football teams, and both ended up in Baltimore and won championships.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Re: Lol wtf?!!?! Joe flacco acting?

Now Joe Flacco, there's a haircut you can set your watch to.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!