View Poll Results: These are your only options with pick #32...

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Matt Elam, SS, Junior, Florida (5-10, 208)

12 19.05%
  • Justin Hunter, WR, Junior Tennessee (6-4, 205)

1 1.59%
  • Kevin Minter, ILB, Junior, LSU (6-0, 248)

8 12.70%
  • Alec Ogletree, OLB, Junior, Georgia (6-3, 242)

10 15.87%
  • Eric Reid, FS, Junior, LSU (6-1, 213)

2 3.17%
  • I’m packaging my 1st and 3rd round picks to move up 5 spots to take someone else

4 6.35%
  • I’m trading back 5 spots and getting extra 4th round pick

26 41.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Be Ozzie. Tell me which of these SEC juniors you pick at 32.

I was noticing there are five underclassmen who played in the SEC andwho could be a fit with the Ravens with their first round pick.

Pretend you know that these players are all going to be available when the Ravens are on the clock. Which one would you want Ozzie to take?

If you absolutely don't want one of these players I've given you other options of trading up or down, as well.

Re: Be Ozzie. Tell me which of these SEC juniors you pick at 32.

I am trading five spots back. Since there are five guys available there and I have no strong feelings about any one of them over the others, one of them would still be available five picks later, as would another player or two that would be a good fit for the Ravens.

I might have chosen trade up, but that depends on which player was sitting there at #27. If it's one of the big 3 LTs or Tavon Austin, I move up. Otherwise, I'm moving back.

Interesting thing about Ozzie and the Ravens love of SEC draft picks: it ain't true. In fact, according to this NFP/Draftmetrics article, the Ravens draft a lower percentage of SEC players than all but two other teams. Ravens rarely draft Big 10 players also.

What conferences do the Ravens draft a relatively high percentage? Big 12 and non-BCS schools. For both they draft at the fifth highest rate of all NFL teams.
    Last edited by ursula; 04-06-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Good find, Ursula. Of course I didn't mean to imply that Ozzie wants to take a SEC guy...I was just observing that there seemed to be a number of SEC Juniors who people project to be taken around the spot the Ravens will select, if they stay put at 32.

I would add one caveat to the Draftmetrics piece you cite. They make a very generalized and even misleading statement about the Ravens draft philosophy when they lump the entire draft history into one pile.

The team's (stated) philosophy to targeting players changes as they move through the draft. Yes, they have recently put more emphasis on scouting non-BCS schools or non-powerhouse programs. They believe that scouting has gotten so good throughout the league that you can't out-scout teams when it comes to the big-name players at the big programs, but you can outwork other teams in finding the diamonds in the rough that other teams don't spend the time on.

However...that really only applies to the mid-to-late rounds of the draft for the most part. Last year in rounds 3-5 they took players from Temple, Delaware, SC State, and Cal Poly. Jah Reid was a third rounder from Central Florida and Webb from Nicholls State.

But they've also said that they boost their first round grades on players who have faced the very best competition in college. If you look at the last five years, first rounders from the SEC do show up with regularity.... Courtney Upshaw, Michael Oher, Ben Grubbs.

We will trade back. Book it.

Excellent reply Shas. Besides the caveat you cite, which is important, I would like to see not only the full range of teams, not just the top and bottom five but also tendencies by draft round. As you say the Ravens have drafted SEC players in round 1 often. More often than most other teams? I dunno. More info would be good.

And I'd pick Ogletree.

If I had to pick one I think it's Elam. But my preference is to trade back out of 32 (and then also trade back up to get one or two extra 2nd and/or 3rd rounders.

By the way I almost added another SEC Junior to the poll list: Alabama OT D.J. Fluker. He's probably ten spots out of the Ravens reach however -- the type of guy they'd have to move up to get if he fell to the mid-twenties. And, he's not a left tackle, so I don't know if he's a fit. Oher and Osemele both provide what he provides as a RT. Too bad Oher can't nail down the LT spot, because Fluker at RT and Yanda and Osemele at guards would make this a pretty devastating run blocking team.
    Last edited by Shas; 04-06-2013 at 11:47 AM.

I still think if there are QB's still on the board a team in need would move ahead of another to get theirs. Unless of course the Pat's trade back, which is more likely.

I choose trade up if that was Austin there. If he not there then for sure trade back and grab A. Brown if there or Armstead LT.

I can't wait for the draft, it's going to be crazy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Interesting thing about Ozzie and the Ravens love of SEC draft picks: it ain't true. In fact, according to this NFP/Draftmetrics article, the Ravens draft a lower percentage of SEC players than all but two other teams. Ravens rarely draft Big 10 players also.

What conferences do the Ravens draft a relatively high percentage? Big 12 and non-BCS schools. For both they draft at the fifth highest rate of all NFL teams.
    Current Ravens from the SEC include and we know how much Ozzie likes Alabama:

Upshaw - Alabama
    Cody - Alabama
    Oher - Ole Miss - all starters during the year and contributors in SB 47
    Josh Bynes - Auburn
    Torey Gurely - South Carolina
    Marcus Spears - LSU
    Deonte Thompson - Florida
    Emanuel Cook - South Carolina
    DeAngelos Tyson - Georgia

Plus departed SEC stars like

Jamal Lewis - Tenn
    JJ - another from Alabama

That's a lot right there. How many more do you want?

Ravens do specialize in great finds from the small colleges like Flacco from Delaware
    and Webb from Nicholis State and Harewood from little Moorehouse plus a
    ton of guys from Miami like you know who and our own former Terps like Torrey Smith,
    LaQuan Williams and SB 35 star Jermaine Lewis.

I'd say Ozzie spreads em out from many venues and has two rings to show for his great
    drafting and undrafted finds like Priest Holmes.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/roster.html
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-07-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Current Ravens from the SEC include and we know how much Ozzie likes Alabama:

Upshaw - Alabama
    Cody - Alabama
    Oher - Ole Miss - all starters during the year and contributors in SB 47
    Josh Bynes - Auburn
    Torey Gurely - South Carolina
    Marcus Spears - LSU
    Deonte Thompson - Florida
    Emanuel Cook - South Carolina
    DeAngelos Tyson - Georgia

Plus departed SEC stars like

Jamal Lewis - Tenn
    JJ - another from Alabama

That's a lot right there. How many more do you want?

Ravens do specialize in great finds from the small colleges like Flacco from Delaware
    and Webb from Nicholis State and Harewood from little Moorehouse plus a
    ton of guys from Miami like you know who and our own former Terps like Torrey Smith,
    LaQuan Williams and SB 35 star Jermaine Lewis.

I'd say Ozzie spreads em out from many venues and has two rings to show for his great
    drafting and undrafted finds like Priest Holmes.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/roster.html
    Some of our biggest busts have from the SEC too.

Jay Graham
    Travis Taylor
    Deron Jenkins
    Musa Smith (more injury related than lack of ability, but still awful career production from a 3rd round RB)

Blog Entries

Just 4 busts? That's all? Compared to the list I provided?

Turns out the SEC and ACC placed more people on the 2013 NFL Pro Bowl than any conference.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/2...s-2013-college