Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268


    There is a similar animosity towards Harbaugh from a different segment of fans. The idea that Ozzie simply decided not to outbid Houston for Reed is too simple for them, it must be a nefarious scheme on Harbaugh's part to be rid of Ed for personal reasons.

    To quote HoustonRaven, "Ponderous."
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    628

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    People read the Byrne report?




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I'm sorry, but if a columnist accused me of wanting to run an HOFer out of town, when as Byrne stated, there was a friendship there, then I would want to clear the record myself and stand up for that friendship. I don't think anyone would find that to not be classy.
    Then I am very thankful you're not the head coach of our beloved football team.

    And this once again shows how thin skinned many Ravens fans are.

    Byrne's job is to speak on behalf of the team. And he did so in a classy, respectful manner. I'd expect nothing less from an organization that's known for class.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,506
    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    There is a similar animosity towards Harbaugh from a different segment of fans. The idea that Ozzie simply decided not to outbid Houston for Reed is too simple for them, it must be a nefarious scheme on Harbaugh's part to be rid of Ed for personal reasons.

    To quote HoustonRaven, "Ponderous."
    Royalty check is in the mail, right?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,346
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    The reality is that we are all going off of opinion and none of us can really prove much of anything, because the Ravens sure as heck wouldn't say this sort of thing is true even if it were.

    As for what the Ravens offered, we 'believe' the Ravens were offering Reed 3 million per year, do we have any confirmation for that?

    The way Ray was dealt with was being given an offer before he entered FA. The team told him to go out there and see what he could find and that if he could not find anything, he could come back to that offer. We don't know if Ed was handled the same way.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    2,559

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    [

    I haven't read Preston for years, because he's terrible, but as I recall he became a columinst a long time ago, so he can write (badly) about anything, not just the Ravens.
    Beat writer, columnist, they both write opinions. IMO Byrne took offense because Preston stated the Reed story as fact, not opinion. However, Preston does this all the time. He make these rediculas comments as though he got it straight from the horses mouth. I promise you when Ed realizes the origin of the story he will know this was just another of Preston's attempts to drum up a story that really isn't there.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Bl1tz View Post
    People read the Byrne report?
    I do...It's a nice perspective. So what if he's a PR guy? He offers unique insight to some of the hidden moments of the team.

    In this case, it should be taken as an opinion piece. But to me, if the report about not wanting Reed back was true, why not just stay silent about it? There was no "need" for him to come out and write that piece. He did it because he wanted to address it. I'd say that while you can't take it as the total truth, it's probably more true than not.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    2,559

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    He did it because he wanted to address it. I'd say that while you can't take it as the total truth, it's probably more true than not.
    Ed Reed is such a fan favorite in Baltimore I'm sure Byrne felt the need to address it on their behalf. While their could be some truth to Preston's assertion, it is not based in fact. It is based in opinion, and Byrne knows very well this is Preston's MO.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!




  9. #39

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    Ed Reed is such a fan favorite in Baltimore I'm sure Byrne felt the need to address it on their behalf. While their could be some truth to Preston's assertion, it is not based in fact. It is based in opinion, and Byrne knows very well this is Preston's MO.
    Exactly. This was about getting a message out to the fans that love Ed Reed. Reed knows that Preston is full of shit... but for the fans out there that don't know Preston's reputation for being a bullshitter, the team felt the need to correct the lies.




  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    A distinction needs to be made here. Preston was not reporting facts...and he also was not providing his opinion. He was purely speculating. There is a difference. See my post from the Boldin thread.

    Preston could have written a perfectly acceptable piece where he made it clear that there is a lot of speculation that Harbaugh cut Pollard because of his clubhouse lawyering, and then gone on to give his opinion that--if this speculation is true--a coach can't tolerate constant defiance...or a coach should welcome a little defiance if it brings the team together.

    I'm fine with Preston having opinions as long as he's clear if he's basing his opinion on fact versus rumor.

    It's fun to debate how much leeway an NFL coach should give players. It's not fun to debate Preston's theories about what Harbaugh may have been thinking.




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,126
    Blog Entries
    4
    @AlbertBreer: The Ed Reed situation as I understood it having covered it -- The Ravens told him how far they'd go $$-wise, and let him hit the market.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,794

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    As for what the Ravens offered, we 'believe' the Ravens were offering Reed 3 million per year, do we have any confirmation for that?

    The way Ray was dealt with was being given an offer before he entered FA. The team told him to go out there and see what he could find and that if he could not find anything, he could come back to that offer. We don't know if Ed was handled the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    @AlbertBreer: The Ed Reed situation as I understood it having covered it -- The Ravens told him how far they'd go $$-wise, and let him hit the market.
    Well, there you go. I'm guessing that's as close as any of us is going to get to a confirmation. Just live with it.




  13. #43

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    The Ravens would have been better served just ignoring the column. A canned and weak defense (with a healthy heap of feigned indignation) from the PR guy is worse than silence.




  14. #44

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The Ravens would have been better served just ignoring the column. A canned and weak defense (with a healthy heap of feigned indignation) from the PR guy is worse than silence.
    They wouldn't have had to do it if national outlets like PFT didn't pick up the story and post Preston's opinion as fact.




  15. #45

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The Ravens would have been better served just ignoring the column. A canned and weak defense (with a healthy heap of feigned indignation) from the PR guy is worse than silence.
    I disagree. Sometimes you have to call BS. This is one of those times.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland